Transmission Oil Change - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Nov 23rd, 2009, 12:27 pm Thread Starter

Transmission Oil Change

Why is it that during my 600 mile oil change they only did the engine and diffrential and not the transmission. I would assume if the were concerned about metal particle from the lapping of the ring and pinion, they'd be concerned about the transmission too since there's a lot of metal to metal contact there too. Can I safely change this myself and use Amsoil Severe Gear 75W-90 which is what I want to use in the diffrential too. What I really want to know is, why didn't they address the gear wear in the transmission.

Life is all about attitude and the daily challenges it brings, however be who you want to be and say what you feel, because those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Nov 23rd, 2009, 6:57 pm

Re: Transmission Oil Change

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWK1200LT
why didn't they address the gear wear in the transmission.
Because they already know that it takes about 100K to get any transmission "gear wear"

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #3 of 12 Old Nov 23rd, 2009, 7:53 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBuffalo
Because they already know that it takes about 100K to get any transmission "gear wear"

Really. I've never see a transmission make it 100K in any vehicle so if my 2009 make 100K without a rebuild I'll be impressed. This is my first BMW so I am leary of everything an virtually have no faith but have heard the same stories many times. We'll see. So can you use Amsoil Severe Gear 75W-90 in this transmission?

Life is all about attitude and the daily challenges it brings, however be who you want to be and say what you feel, because those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter.

post #4 of 12 Old Nov 23rd, 2009, 8:06 pm

Garage

From what I've seen/read the tranny or gear box is pretty much bullet proof. You will rarely hear one that failed. If you grind gears or drop it on the shift linkage and break the fork, your toast but normal abuse from the rider, its a safe bet, she'll out last the next owners. I replaced mine at 135K. I'd somehow broken the fork, not good when at speed to go into two gears at once....

Hoss
'Stupidity has a knack of getting its way.' --Albert Camus
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
R.I.P. - '00- K1200LTE- "Barbara" - Retired at 168K 9/2011
MOA, IBA, EXR & RCB and TMI
post #5 of 12 Old Nov 23rd, 2009, 8:10 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Really. I've never see a transmission make it 100K in any vehicle so if my 2009 make 100K without a rebuild I'll be impressed.
Sorry you have had such bad luck with trannys. My MGB went 235K before I sold it my daughters 95 toyota went 385K before she sold it and Don Arthur's LT went 320K+ when he wrecked it. Sure some will fail sooner but if you are careful and don't power shift and "jam" it in gear changes, it will last a long time.

I only had a small amount of powder on the magnet on my first oil change @12K for my LT tranny. Now the fluid looks the same coming out as it went in and no more fuzz @52K.

Any good quality gear lube will do.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 12 Old Nov 23rd, 2009, 8:10 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoswell
From what I've seen/read the tranny or gear box is pretty much bullet proof. You will rarely hear one that failed. If you grind gears or drop it on the shift linkage and break the fork, your toast but normal abuse from the rider, its a safe bet, she'll out last the next owners. I replaced mine at 135K. I'd somehow broken the fork, not good when at speed to go into two gears at once....

Thank you for the come back. This means I have many years of good service to come. What oil did you run?

post #7 of 12 Old Nov 23rd, 2009, 8:35 pm
Ted

Quote:
Really. I've never see a transmission make it 100K in any vehicle
Really - all the vehicles I have owned have surpassed 100K miles:

1978 VW Rabbit - sold 1982 w/ 108K
1982 Audi 4000 - sold 1989 w/ 127K
1990 BMW 525 - sold 2009 w/ 263K (really had more - speedo/odo worked intermittently for about 1 year in 1993)

2004 Honda S2000 - currently has about 85K and going strong

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 12 Old Nov 23rd, 2009, 8:38 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
Sorry you have had such bad luck with trannys. My MGB went 235K before I sold it my daughters 95 toyota went 385K before she sold it and Don Arthur's LT went 320K+ when he wrecked it. Sure some will fail sooner but if you are careful and don't power shift and "jam" it in gear changes, it will last a long time.

I only had a small amount of powder on the magnet on my first oil change @12K for my LT tranny. Now the fluid looks the same coming out as it went in and no more fuzz @52K.

Any good quality gear lube will do.
Thank you. I think I'll go with the Amoil Severe Gear 75W-90 especially after I read about the test they put it through. I'd like to attach the .pdf file but it looks like I can't. It is however on the Amoil site

post #9 of 12 Old Nov 23rd, 2009, 8:42 pm Thread Starter

Okay you guys win. I'm outta here. Thanks for all the positive input. I shall return with additonal questions as time goes on.

post #10 of 12 Old Nov 24th, 2009, 7:45 pm

Quote:
Okay you guys win. I'm outta here. Thanks for all the positive input. I shall return with additonal questions as time goes on.
You'll find that most everyone here is willing to help, share knowledge and know how,
but nobody wants to talk about "that same question you asked four different times"
besides you've already had your answer,
it doesn't make a damn bit of difference what kind of oil you use (but I think you already know that)
nobody here wants to waste their time debating brand names.

Now when you have a "real" question, you'll get some real answers.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer

post #11 of 12 Old Nov 24th, 2009, 9:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBuffalo
...nobody here wants to waste their time debating brand names....
Whadd'ya mean? I was thinking about this engine oil I saw on late-night TV. The manufacturer did tests; the results are on their website. Apparently, increases mileage, longevity, gives you fresh breath and cures herpes. They were demonstrating it by cooking up in a frying pan. Now, if I could just recall the brand name, I'd debate it here with you! Whether you like it or not!

Robert in Northern NJ

'09 R12GS, '08 R12RT, '03 R1150RT, '01 F650GS - time to thin the herd?

post #12 of 12 Old Nov 25th, 2009, 11:57 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwalker
I'd debate it here with you! Whether you like it or not!
As the "outlaw Josey whales" would say

pffl..tt

"how does it work on stains!"

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in