Cruise new fix found? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old Nov 21st, 2009, 9:48 am Thread Starter

Cruise new fix found?

My cruise stopped working over night. Went through test procedure and it failed at throttle closing stage. I could hear the throttle body micro switch clicking but this means nothing read on.
Reading on the forum I read that the clutch micro switch is on the same circuit as the throttle body one. However this can be heard clicking when pulling the clutch lever. So as advised on threads to check clutch switch first as it is far easier to do. The clutch MS (which has to switches side by side in one unit) is pressed in by the clutch lever when it is away from the bar and when you pull the clutch it releases the switch. There is no adjustment on the ms using the mounting screw. So I removed clutch lever and using my finger pressed the switch further in then the clutch lever was doing. Test procedure now worked. (during the test I released the switch with my finger to simulate the clutch lever being pulled.) So I removed switch and slightly bent the 2 actuating tabs on the switches. Re assembled everything and the cruise now works fine.

So lessons learnt the test procedure failing at one point does not mean it is that component.

Just hearing the micro switched clicking does not mean they are working correctly.

I could have stripped the bike down to get to the throttle body switch and it was nothing to do with this.

I hope this helps somebody as the fix takes 10 minutes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old Nov 21st, 2009, 5:44 pm

Re: Cruise new fix found?

I have often found that there is a small amount of play in the clutch cruise switch, usually just loosening the screws holding it you can move it back in position and it will begin to work properly, without bending the spring piece.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in