Texas Rider in Baghdad Needs Info - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Nov 20th, 2009, 10:05 am Thread Starter

Texas Rider in Baghdad Needs Info

Just found the website and need some "expert" opinions. I'm presently stationed in Baghdad as a contractor assisting the Military with the prison system. I sold my bike before coming over here and I plan on buying a new one in January 2010 when I get back for R&R.

I've been researching the BMW K1200LT, HD Ultra Classic, and Victory Cross Country. The wife says the choice is mine and this bike will be my retirement present. I have been riding for years and long distance is my favorite. Now the wife wants to join in and play too.

I have done my research and I like the K1200LT and I had a chance to see one in Germany when I was on R&R. I am looking for some honest opinions about the bike, such as comfort, maintenance costs, power, handling, and dependability. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Nov 20th, 2009, 10:21 am

Re: Texas Rider in Baghdad Needs Info

I went through the same exercise that you did before I bought my 2009 LT.

The mental scoring was 1st Place BMW, 2nd Victory, and HD in third.

My wife sat on the back of all three and she liked the BMW best with the Ultra Classic coming in a close second.

Why did the BMW get the nod in my highly subjective analysis?

1. BMW looked better than the HD. Victory Vision looked good too.
2. HD dealers all over DFW were jerks and acted like they were doing me a favor by letting me come into the dealership. Victory dealers were hit and miss. Victory was a sideline for each.
3. I also looked at the average BMW rider versus the average HD dealer and honestly I felt I fit into the BMW crowd better.
4. Pricing. The LT was much cheaper and I was able to get a good deal on my bike. I have had it a month and I have enjoyed all 1800 miles so far.

Send me a PM and I will give you some insight about the dealers. Let me know when you return and I am happy to buzz down to Burleson to show you my bike.

James Garner
Frisco, TX
BMWMOA #153642
2009 K1200LT
N5OOO
post #3 of 10 Old Nov 20th, 2009, 10:51 am

Also keep in mind, that production of the current LT as we know it is no longer, awaiting the new version in late 2010 or 2011, 11 being the favored opinion of most and with the announcement of the new powerplant, which will be used in the new LT platform, it will most likely be closer to 2011..?

The current version is being sold from existing stock, they are all black. So when they are gone, they will be no more, as far as new goes.

Now there are plenty of used LT's on the market and if a lot of current riders choose to move to the new platform when it is announced, then there may be a lot more !

Jim Lawson 2016 R1200RT
Retired to NC !

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 Old Nov 20th, 2009, 11:22 am

For cost reasons, consider looking for a used machine, 02 or newer. In 05 they gained 16 HP and an electric center stand. Look for extended warranty to take the sting out of any potential repairs (Yes it is just a bunch of mechanical parts and things do break). Look for dealer maintained ( at least for the every 12K service).

Thier is absolutly no machine that compares to the LT for long distance comfort and preformance. They are a beast at low speed but the trick is just never brake with the front wheel turned and do not look down as that is where you will go.

Do not limit the area you search for a bike as buying one far away is just a good excuse for a fly/ride adventure. Before purchasing, get lots of up close pictures and have the seller take the bike to his local dealer for an evaluation or ask on this site for a local member to go look at the bike for you. I did this for a GS I bought in North Carolina and it worked great.

Good luck and even better riding.
Come on out to California for a visit.
See you for CCR in Vermont in Sept 2010 ?http://www.curvecowboyreunion.com/CCR2010/index.php

Doug Holck
Lodi, Ca

I don't always ride motorcycles,
but when I do I prefer BMW's.
Ride safely my friends

3 Continents -10 Countries - 50 States

02 K1200LTe
04 1150GS Adventure
08 Suzuki DR650
CCR 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
See you 2015 in Coeur d' Alene, Idaho

BMW MOA 109760
AMA Charter Life Member 518333
International Fellowship of Motorcycling Rotarians
HDDC POSSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 10 Old Nov 20th, 2009, 11:33 am

There was a pretty '09 LT for sale on this page, 8k miles, $16k, in LA. Considering that the bike is just starting to break in at 8k, it seems like $6k or $7k well saved.
post #6 of 10 Old Nov 20th, 2009, 11:47 am

I rode the Goldwing and the LT before deciding on the LT. The wife says the fit and feel of the LT is much better than the wing. I like the style and feel of the LT and I can do the maintenance myself and save some money.

Good luck and happy retirement.

Jeff

2006 K1200LT, Metallic Blue
post #7 of 10 Old Nov 21st, 2009, 4:05 pm

Garage
honest opinion

If you are really considering anything other than an LT, DO NOT let your wife take a test ride on the LT..

Bill Jennings, fhp
Denison, TX

BMW States
BMW years and miles, 32 years 500K+

AMA, CMA, IBA, POG, MSF, FHP, etc

'99 K1200lt
'76 R900/6
Various Vintage Dirt Bikes
-Greeves (Sold), Pentons, Hodaka, etc.

Remember you are not lost till you run out of gas!
post #8 of 10 Old Nov 21st, 2009, 6:41 pm

Go with LT or Gold Wing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobDog
Just found the website and need some "expert" opinions. I'm presently stationed in Baghdad as a contractor assisting the Military with the prison system. I sold my bike before coming over here and I plan on buying a new one in January 2010 when I get back for R&R.

I've been researching the BMW K1200LT, HD Ultra Classic, and Victory Cross Country. The wife says the choice is mine and this bike will be my retirement present. I have been riding for years and long distance is my favorite. Now the wife wants to join in and play too.

I have done my research and I like the K1200LT and I had a chance to see one in Germany when I was on R&R. I am looking for some honest opinions about the bike, such as comfort, maintenance costs, power, handling, and dependability. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Matt Kas

13 Triumph Trophy SE Lunar Silver
12 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive Pearl White

Laguna Niguel, Southern California (South Orange County)
"Riding Year around"

post #9 of 10 Old Nov 21st, 2009, 7:35 pm

Arrow Re: Texas Rider in Baghdad Needs Info

If this is the only forum you are posing the question most likely you have already made up your mind on what you are going to buy. You don't expect anyone from this forum suggesting that buy a HD or a Victory, would you? LTs are nice smooth bikes and are very fun to ride.
Like others I would suggest that you consider a used one with low mileage. With a replacement new model in the horizon, a new 2009/2010 LT would likely depreciate 50% or more in the first 2 or 3 years even if you don't ride it, so not a great investment to buy it new in my opinion.
I just purchased a '05 LT in August with 3200 miles in excellent condition for $9700, so good deals are out there. You would need to replace the stock seat with an aftermarket one, but chances are that you would need to do it with a HD or Victory as well.
If long distance is your favorite as you mentioned I personally think the LT is the best bike of the three. With this purpose in mind you may also want to consider a Honda GW which is probably the most reliable bike in this class, and cheaper to maintain.

'87 K100LT
'00 Valkyrie I/S
'05 k1200LT

'03 KRS sold 2006
'04 R1150RT sold 2006
'03 K1200GT sold 2009
post #10 of 10 Old Nov 21st, 2009, 10:23 pm

Buy an LT for 2up AND a GT for all your hard work. Life is short!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in