09 brake fluid reservoir - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Nov 19th, 2009, 1:15 pm Thread Starter

09 brake fluid reservoir

The brake fluid reservoir to the abs system is so small! Am planning to flush my brakes, I would have to fill it continuously.I know they sell something to keep it filled but why such a small reservoir? Am I missing something ?I have 16000 miles and always ride two up . Did my own 12000 because not making as much money ,now Iam going to tackle a brake flush.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Nov 19th, 2009, 3:15 pm

Re: 09 brake fluid reservoir

That's a bit too soon to flush your brakes.

there are two reservoirs, on the handlebars and under the passanger seat. the one you care about is under the passanger seat (there are actually 2 there for front/back).

I don't think they are any smaller than other reservoir on other bikes.

02 LT
post #3 of 6 Old Nov 19th, 2009, 4:29 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply Caveno,but that's what Iam looking at the reservoir under the seat, holds hardly any fluid and just one singular.I've seen post about what you're talking about two reservoir but all I see is this little thing.The reason I thought it might need to be flushed,because the fluid in the front brake reservoir was dirty looking, and had a brake failuare alarm go off when I went to start the bike.Turn the bike off and back on and all was fine.This was about after 15 min. At a rest stop

post #4 of 6 Old Nov 19th, 2009, 4:43 pm

I believe you also have a resevoir on the right side behind the rear foot peg.

You'll have to keep filling and refilling while you let the ABS pump do the work.

There is an excellent write up with the "05 adendum" for flushing the brakes. i used it on my 05 with no problems.

Low resevoir will make the light flash, any chance your pads are already worn out? That is the easiest way to lower the fluid level.

PM me if you want me to e-mail the procedure, but, it is on the site. I've got a copy somewhere on my hard drive.

Good Luck,

Joe

2005 KLT "Old Blue"

Bruno the "Bugg"

Democracy will only exist until 51% of the population believes they can live off the other 49% .
post #5 of 6 Old Nov 19th, 2009, 8:45 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Actooly there are FOUR reservoirs. One on the handle bar and the little one under the seat both are for the control circuits and that fluid goes no farther than the ABS unit. That is why it is so small. The two wheel circuit reservoirs are built into the ABS unit and that fluid goes from the ABS unit to the the respective calipers (rectangular black item in the photo).

You need a funnel and a stopper to flush the wheel circuits since the reservoirs are black plastic and you cannot see the level. Beemer Boneyard sells a nice set up that screws right into the reservoir cap holes. Or you can make your own. Look in the files section under technical for a good explanation of the flush process but it was written by Mark Nebelett for the early Integral brakes that had the reservoirs for the wheel circuits back where your little rear one is. Then look at the addendum for 05's for a bit more info. I agree that it is probably too early to flush unless you have had her on the road for a year on the wheel circuits and two years on the control.

I get black fluid each year out of the wheel circuits but the control circuits I am leaving for every three now as they are seldom contaminated. I have seen some that were really bad so you have to do it once to see what effect your environment has on it and adjust intervals accordingly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Overview 1.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	25369  

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by jzeiler; Nov 19th, 2009 at 8:54 pm.
post #6 of 6 Old Nov 21st, 2009, 6:25 am

It's never too early to flush! especially if the fluid you can see is discolored, you do not want to cause a failure here because you did not want to spend a couple of hours and 20 bucks on fluid, that can be a very costly mistake!
Mine is an ealier model, the 05 and later have a reservoir on the pump located under the seat on the left side of the bike but it is fed from the other reservoirs, be sure to flush the contorl circuits as well as the wheel circuits until you get clear clean fluid through them, remember that this fluid can damage the paint so be careful to keep it from getting on painted surfaces and if a drop does get on anything wash and flush that area immediately.
There are good write ups on how to accomplish this in the tech section as well as in some of the posts, a search should turn up more information than you can use.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in