And I Tought I was Doing So Good! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Nov 18th, 2009, 5:35 am Thread Starter

And I Tought I was Doing So Good!

After having my bike apart for two weeks (had the ohlins rebuilt, replaced the throttle cables, installed Speigler brake lines, and lots of other things), I got everything back together with no screws or parts left over. Now I smell gas vapors when I first start out from a stop. I think that I forgot to re-install the hose on top of the fuel tank that goes into the safety relief valve. It looks like I will be pulling off the panels this Saturday to verify. I just wonder why I did not see a loose hose, or where the hose can be hiding? I am hoping that I can just pull off the right side and see under the stingray(?). I do not have the quick disconnects, so I know the vapors are not coming from that area. When I shut the bike off, I can smell the vapors by the gas lid.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Nov 18th, 2009, 6:39 am

Re: And I Tought I was Doing So Good!

Check your quick connects. Mine deteriorated over time and I had to replace them. My 05 came with plastic disconnects and BMW at some point went to metal ones. I was in the middle of a ride when this happened and by the time I got home, on the right side, my boots and pants were soaked in gasoline. Not good.

Ultra LT
post #3 of 6 Old Nov 18th, 2009, 7:38 am

You might luck out and have it right there under the stingray. Stranger things have happened. Good luck...........

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.

post #4 of 6 Old Nov 18th, 2009, 8:09 am

Have you tried pulling the rubber splash gaurd from around the filler to see if the hose is visible. I forgot one once and was able to use long needle nose pliers and some patience to get the hose back on.

Roy

Roy Gregersen

Ride Slow, Ride Fast, Always Ride Safe
85 K100RT sold
02 LTC DOA 9/21/14
12 R1200RT
post #5 of 6 Old Nov 18th, 2009, 8:27 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear
Have you tried pulling the rubber splash gaurd from around the filler to see if the hose is visible. I forgot one once and was able to use long needle nose pliers and some patience to get the hose back on. Roy
Thanks for the suggestion Roy. I will be sure to check that first before pulling the panel(s) off. I have had the panels off plenty of times and just dread doing it again. I think it has to do more with popping the mirrors off and on.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 Old Nov 21st, 2009, 9:09 am Thread Starter

Confirmed that the hose was off. It took me approximately 40 minutes to take the side panel off, put the hose back on, and button it back up. For half the time that I was working on this, I got to listen to the entire 19 minute Alice's restaurant song by Arlo Guthrie.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in