Clutch gone at 12K. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old Nov 16th, 2009, 5:45 am Thread Starter

Clutch gone at 12K.

Hi All,
I've had a complete clutch failure at 12k miles (6k of them mine), 6k previous owner.

BMW are telling me that if this is wear and tear it's not under warantee and I simply can't afford to replace it if this is the case.
Any advice how best to go about this as 6/12k miles out of a clutch on a flagship LD Tourer is not what I expect for this price tag....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old Nov 16th, 2009, 7:34 am

Re: Clutch gone at 12K.

What year is your bike? and do you have a trailer, 12k seems awfully low

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969
post #3 of 29 Old Nov 16th, 2009, 7:44 am

Hard to imagine it is all wear, unless you ride the clutch.

If you were a "betting man", you would probably bet on clutch contamination.

If you are going to have them do the work, you can "be there" when they take the clutch apart. If it is all full of oil, then it is a seal.

If you have an honorable dealer (did I just use those two words back-to-back??), he will let you know if it is wear or contamination. A measurement of the wear parts should show them within spec.

Do a search on "Clutch slipping" or something similar here and readup.

Sorry for you trouble, good luck!

Joe

2005 KLT "Old Blue"

Bruno the "Bugg"

Democracy will only exist until 51% of the population believes they can live off the other 49% .

post #4 of 29 Old Nov 16th, 2009, 9:15 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alevel17
...I've had a complete clutch failure....
How do they know at BMW it is wear? By phone conversation or did they inspect?

Unless either you or the previous owner are terrible at riding a clutch, it is most likely a component failure. BMW clutches are of "automotive" style, very rugged and often last well into 6-digit mileage. I've never heard of anyone wearing down his at 12k miles.

Previous post is correct: contamination is much more likely. Clutch slave cylinders are the frequent culprits, although shaft seals fail occasionally as well.

If I were you, I'd have a discussion with dealer on how to determine the cause of failure without spending a ton of cash (in case it is your fault after all).

Beware: as I understand it, some warranties may not cover damage caused by faulty seals. Ask beforehand if it applies in the UK!

Robert in Northern NJ

'09 R12GS, '08 R12RT, '03 R1150RT, '01 F650GS - time to thin the herd?

Last edited by rdwalker; Nov 16th, 2009 at 9:20 am. Reason: Not wear
post #5 of 29 Old Nov 16th, 2009, 1:48 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Hi All,
I've had a complete clutch failure at 12k miles (6k of them mine), 6k previous owner.

BMW are telling me that if this is wear and tear it's not under warantee and I simply can't afford to replace it if this is the case.
Any advice how best to go about this as 6/12k miles out of a clutch on a flagship LD Tourer is not what I expect for this price tag....
I think they are hedgeing their bets with this statement. In other words if they open it up and NOTHING is leaking it is wear and tear. Mine even at 50K had some oil leakage on it.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #6 of 29 Old Nov 16th, 2009, 1:57 pm

If it's caused by a leak, it's clearly warranty and I doubt that anyone will give you any grief over it. If the clutch is worn out, it has all to do with the way it was used and is unrelated to the price of the bike. Once it is taken apart, a simple visual inspection by a layman can determine that.

Quote:
Hi All,

Wolfgang

K1200LT 1999 Champaign SOLD
R1100RS 1994 Teal SOLD
R1150RT 2003 Blue (Sold)
R1100RT 1997 Blue

Pest, Budapest Hungary

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness."
Mark Twain

post #7 of 29 Old Nov 16th, 2009, 2:09 pm

Most likely it's contaminated. Clutches don't wear out that fast. My suspicion is you have an older model bike that spent most of the time sitting in a garge and the seals slowly dried up causing your problems.

02 LT
post #8 of 29 Old Nov 16th, 2009, 5:26 pm
Super Moderator

Clutches last WAY longer than that in LTs, some up to 100,000 miles. AS noted by others it could be contaminated from a leaking seal. Also, you have no idea how the previous owner treated it. A few years ago a guy complained that his clutch was worn out after 10,000 miles. He then proceeded to explain that he rode with his hand covering the clutch lever (good), and with it pulled in a little (BAD BAD BAD!!!) just in case he had to make an emergency stop. I told him to sell the bike and take up staring at rocks as a hobby.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #9 of 29 Old Nov 16th, 2009, 5:55 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTaylor
Clutches last WAY longer than that in LTs, some up to 100,000 miles. AS noted by others it could be contaminated from a leaking seal. Also, you have no idea how the previous owner treated it. A few years ago a guy complained that his clutch was worn out after 10,000 miles. He then proceeded to explain that he rode with his hand covering the clutch lever (good), and with it pulled in a little (BAD BAD BAD!!!) just in case he had to make an emergency stop. I told him to sell the bike and take up staring at rocks as a hobby.
Yes, it is possible to wear out a dry clutch in 10K miles, but it takes really poor technique as you illustrate above or like the guy in the youtube video trying to do a burnout with an LT. That kind of abuse can trash a clutch fairly quickly.

I've driven several standard shift 4-wheelers well past 100K miles and have never yet worn out a clutch. My current pickup, a Chevy K1500, is used to plow snow and haul firewood and the original clutch is still going strong at 115K miles. I expect the truck to rust out before the clutch wears out.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #10 of 29 Old Nov 17th, 2009, 2:44 am Thread Starter

Hi all,
Thanks for the updates.
I'm UK and no I don't ride the clutch I do cover it but no pressure on it.
It's an '07 (September)
Errr I do use Engine braking, I did this for 10 years on my other bikes with never a problem but I think they all had wet clutches and I've just been told the LT has a Dry car like clutch, would that be a problem?
(IE Down shifting and letting the clutch out so the engine braking slows you down but obviously never red lining or riding the clutch - if I down shift to far, very very rare...I'll clutch back in and shift up)

I'm glad to hear it's most likely oil, I'm just worried with my luck lately that it will be physical and then I'd have to try argue with BMW (Bang my head against a wall?) about it.
Anyway I'll find out on the 25th when they take a look at it for the 12k service anyway *fingers crossed*
post #11 of 29 Old Nov 17th, 2009, 7:59 am

Quote:
... just worried with my luck lately that it will be physical and then I'd have to try argue with BMW (Bang my head against a wall?) ...
Unfortunately, it is "physical" as well, in the sense that if it is oil contamination, the clutch is destroyed and must be replaced together with the offending seals.

In order to really determine the cause of failure, the bike has to be disassembled.

Sorry, no good news here. Prepare yourself for at least a prospect of spending money, discuss both "what-if's" with the dealer: what happens if the clutch is worn down and what if contaminated. The odds are in your favor (engine braking should not stress the clutch), but as you know, there are no guarantees in life.

Robert in Northern NJ

post #12 of 29 Old Nov 17th, 2009, 7:59 am

Engine braking will not hurt your clutch. I've done this all my life. I drove a truck for 20 years and I've never lost a clutch. I lost my LT clutch due to a slave cylinder leak. I replaced it and it has 45K miles on it now and working fine. Good luck with your dealer. It sounds like he's trying to weasel out of fixing it even before he has inspected it...............

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.
post #13 of 29 Old Nov 17th, 2009, 9:45 am Thread Starter

Phew!! thanks! i was haivng a huge DOH moment thinking I had been stupid and damaged it with the Engine braking! Will keep you all updated when I know more on 25t!
post #14 of 29 Old Nov 17th, 2009, 7:39 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Errr I do use Engine braking, I did this for 10 years on my other bikes with never a problem but I think they all had wet clutches and I've just been told the LT has a Dry car like clutch, would that be a problem?
(IE Down shifting and letting the clutch out so the engine braking slows you down but obviously never red lining or riding the clutch - if I down shift to far, very very rare...I'll clutch back in and shift up)
Engine braking per se will not harm the clutch. Letting the clutch out when the engine RPM is not closely matched to the gearbox input shaft RPM WILL wear the clutch. When you downshift you do blip the throttle so that when you engage the clutch the engine RPM doesn't change dramatically, right?

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #15 of 29 Old Nov 17th, 2009, 9:38 pm

I'm just curious. Is it possible that due to riding condition in Europe clutches wear out much faster than in the US and perhaps than other continents like Australia?

If the UK roads are short and crowded as other countries I have seen in Europe ( and I suspect they are ) chances are that a clutch on any vehicle will be used three to five times more than the US. I think that most of LTs in the US are ridden on longer freeway trips than in any country in Europe, therefore requiring less shifting.
It would make sense that due to shorter distances and crowder roads in European countries one will shift the clutch more often than in the US, consequently wearing it out much sooner. If I ride a 200 miles day-trip in my area I may be do 10-15 complete shifting during the entire trip. In comparison one may need to shift 50-70 times on the same distance in UK. If my analogy is correct a clutch with 12K miles in the UK should have the same wear and tear of a 50K miles' clutch in the US. Hhmmm....,hope I didn't say something stupid here.

'87 K100LT
'00 Valkyrie I/S
'05 k1200LT

'03 KRS sold 2006
'04 R1150RT sold 2006
'03 K1200GT sold 2009
post #16 of 29 Old Nov 17th, 2009, 10:09 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pier1
I'm just curious. Is it possible that due to riding condition in Europe clutches wear out much faster than in the US and perhaps than other continents like Australia?

If the UK roads are short and crowded as other countries I have seen in Europe ( and I suspect they are ) chances are that a clutch on any vehicle will be used three to five times more than the US. I think that most of LTs in the US are ridden on longer freeway trips than in any country in Europe, therefore requiring less shifting.
It would make sense that due to shorter distances and crowder roads in European countries one will shift the clutch more often than in the US, consequently wearing it out much sooner. If I ride a 200 miles day-trip in my area I may be do 10-15 complete shifting during the entire trip. In comparison one may need to shift 50-70 times on the same distance in UK. If my analogy is correct a clutch with 12K miles in the UK should have the same wear and tear of a 50K miles' clutch in the US. Hhmmm....,hope I didn't say something stupid here.
I think that is certainly a possibility. However, keep in mind that the US is hardly monolithic. Our rural areas (where I live) are much more rural than most places I visited in England (I lived there for 4 months on a work assignment many years ago), however, the urban areas in the US such as LA, NY, Chicago, Atlanta, etc., rival anything that England has to offer. So, I think that the type of riding likely has a huge affect on clutch life, but I suspect the variation within the US and even the UK may be greater than the variation between the US and the UK.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #17 of 29 Old Nov 18th, 2009, 5:22 am

Quote:
If I ride a 200 miles day-trip in my area I may be do 10-15 complete shifting during the entire trip.
I'd like to know where in Fairfax you live that you may only do 10-15 complete shifts? All kidding aside, you bring up some good points.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

post #18 of 29 Old Nov 18th, 2009, 5:45 am Thread Starter

Riding 100miles a day through London and the M1 I probably shift close to 100 times a day especially through London =p.

I blip off and clutch in, shift, clutch out and re-apply throttle all in about a half a second or so...but yes the RPM's aren't too disparate (IE The revs don't suddenly go through the roof when I clutch out, if they did I'd clutch straight back in again and shift up)
post #19 of 29 Old Nov 18th, 2009, 7:05 am

I believe the challenge is going to be "watching" them disassemble the clutch. I think the chances of it being a seal caused failure is GREAT. I also believe the chances of most dealers telling you that "you" wore the clutch out is greater. I'm not sure how many dealers will let you watch the bike being worked on. I don't think either of the dealers in Atlanta will let you watch. My buddy had a clutch failure at 10K and, of course, they "told him" it was his fault. For those of you that have "reputable" dealers....you're VERY fortunate!
post #20 of 29 Old Nov 18th, 2009, 9:21 am

Quote:
... possible that ... in Europe clutches wear out much faster...
12K miles in the UK should have the same wear and tear of a 50K miles' clutch in the US. Hhmmm....,hope I didn't say something stupid here.
A. Even if this was the case - 12,000 miles? No way.

B. What's wrong with 50k miles? And welcome to my world - metro NY City.

C. Cars get easily 100km+ mileage - at least where I travel, in Germany and east from there - comparable to manual trans cars stateside, no reason bikes should be different.

Now, after all this discussion, I re-read the Original Post and I see that we are getting all bent out of shape for possibly no reason. According to the post, BMW said that "if it is wear", it is not their responsibility. They do not say "it is wear". I think it is fair enough.

And, as most here suspect that it is contamination, they will have hard time fudging the results. Let's hope Alevel17 has good news next week.

Robert in Northern NJ

post #21 of 29 Old Nov 18th, 2009, 10:33 am Thread Starter

Indeed BMW wouldn't let me in for the (2 day) procedure, which is why It's actually getting serviced on the 25th by a Non BMW Garage (Ex BMW Mech with 11 years exp - confirmed with BMW this is fine and won't void anything as he's using BMW Original parts).
They plan to get it done same day and will give me an independent assesment vis-a-vi the clutch and I'll be in the workshop with my Camera .

Then it's with BMW the next day for them to look at the Clutch (or not depending on what we find on the 25th)

Fingers are crossed!
post #22 of 29 Old Nov 18th, 2009, 11:10 am

Quote:
... getting serviced on the 25th by a Non BMW Garage (Ex BMW Mech with 11 years exp - confirmed with BMW this is fine ...
You can really do that? Good for you. It's unusual to my knowledge.

Robert in Northern NJ

post #23 of 29 Old Nov 18th, 2009, 4:42 pm

FWIW I have "wore out" two clutches on my 05' LT and lost a third to slave seal contamination. The contaminated one was the first to go at about 40K, the first one wore out at about 80K and the last one wore out at about 160K.

I never slip or ride the clutch but I'm very aggressive with engine braking especially when riding twisties and passes. The LT loves the high R's and I believe that engine breaking at speed is what has caused my clutch wear outs. The ride although has been worth every penny spent on the clutches.

Chuck

'05 K1200LT
'92 FXSTC
'66 HD Sprint
IBA #375

"Eat, Drink and be Merry for tomorrow we Ride"
post #24 of 29 Old Nov 18th, 2009, 8:23 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrevelino
I'd like to know where in Fairfax you live that you may only do 10-15 complete shifts? All kidding aside, you bring up some good points.

I don't ride the LT in the city. I live in Vienna and always take I-66 west. Past Manassas it is all clear country side. I can ride a couple hours practically without stopping.

'87 K100LT
'00 Valkyrie I/S
'05 k1200LT

'03 KRS sold 2006
'04 R1150RT sold 2006
'03 K1200GT sold 2009
post #25 of 29 Old Nov 18th, 2009, 9:07 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieg
FWIW I have "wore out" two clutches on my 05' LT and lost a third to slave seal contamination. The contaminated one was the first to go at about 40K, the first one wore out at about 80K and the last one wore out at about 160K.

I never slip or ride the clutch but I'm very aggressive with engine braking especially when riding twisties and passes. The LT loves the high R's and I believe that engine breaking at speed is what has caused my clutch wear outs. The ride although has been worth every penny spent on the clutches.

Chuck
Engine braking won't wear the clutch unless it is already defective such that the torque from the engine drag is causing the clutch to slip. It is downshifting that causes the wear, not the engine braking.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #26 of 29 Old Nov 18th, 2009, 9:36 pm
SEG

12K even in London traffic seems way too soon for a clutch to go. I live in Manhattan, ride almost daily and use the LT for work. I've put 34,000 miles on the LT this year and have had no problems. Because of very heavy traffic congestion in this area the clutch gets a real workout. I've ridden in London and it's no worse than NYC. At least in London the drivers are better trained and more polite, at least that has always been my experience. NYC drivers are not so bad, if you exclude the taxis which drive like crabs move-at 45 degree angles. Good luck getting the clutch repaired.
Scott

- 2009 LT
- BMW MOA #92950
- BMW RA #41621
- IBA #35299
post #27 of 29 Old Nov 19th, 2009, 6:31 am

05 LT clutch shot at 15K, no leaking, just worn out. I ride alot of 2 up but that should not be the problem. I read somewhere here that when starting off you should ot have to rev above like 1500 rpm to start off. I have tried this and the big pig goes up around 2k when I start off. when we pulled the clutch it was just black dust everywhere.

Marc Pillis- MSF Rider Coach
Union, Kentucky
2005 LT
2004 R1150GS Adventure
2013 DR650
post #28 of 29 Old Nov 19th, 2009, 6:32 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEG
I've ridden in London and it's no worse than NYC. At least in London the drivers are better trained and more polite
You have drivers that are WORSE than London!!! holy cow man you must have Iron cohonees
May try it myself some day

@rdwalker

Well...speaking to my Local BMW Garage who would be looking at the bike they confirmed it was OK confirming what the Ex BWM Mech told me...though both would have their own interests at heart in telling me that even if it wasn't true...I'll phone BMW's main number and confirm just for safteys sake

@CharlieG

Fair enough! and I agree, the bike is amazing, and as much as this experience is far from ideal I still love the LT and if I had the money to spare it wouldn't be too much of an issue, just a minor annoyance that I'd be talking to BMW about post service depending on the outcome.
I do love the sound the machine makes under engine breaking, especially once I get into the underground carpark at work, sounds like an Aircraft coming in to land and always puts a grin on my face

Can't say I've ever noticed any slippage under engine breaking prior to the failure.
post #29 of 29 Old Nov 19th, 2009, 11:35 am

NYC has the most aware drivers. It's in the suberbs where people are drive and don't pay attention to the roads, that kinda stuff is rare here, but it is very aggressive.

02 LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in