@#!%ing gear shifter broke! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 Old Nov 15th, 2009, 6:19 pm Thread Starter

@#!%ing gear shifter broke!

I was taking the bike (2000LT) out for a ride today, and got to my next door neighbor's house, put it in neutral and on the side stand to talk to my neighbor. When I went to shift back into first, the bolt that holds the shifter to the gear box (or whatever the hell it is) broke in half, rendering the shifter completely useless. Luckily, the bike was in neutral, so with my neighbors' help, I was able to get it back to my house and up the driveway and into my garage.

Now I have to order a new bolt assembly (the piece that has the screw with bolts on either end in swivel ball joints). Also going to have to figure out a way to get the other half of the bolt out of the piece inside the bike. May have to drill it out.

Anyway, big drag. Just wanted to vent.

Last edited by LT_Timmer; Nov 15th, 2009 at 9:04 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old Nov 15th, 2009, 6:26 pm

Re: @#!%ing gear shifter broke!

I'll bet you carry a spare part in your tool bag from now on.

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #3 of 33 Old Nov 15th, 2009, 6:36 pm

Don't buy the BMW replacement. Do a search for shifter replacement and find the one that is sold by someone on this site. It's much better.

Ray Rau
Brewster, NY
'99 LT - Champagne

post #4 of 33 Old Nov 15th, 2009, 7:33 pm

I feel that the shifter linkage breaking is mostly due to the nut coming loose and when that happens you lose the rigidity of the shaft and allows the threaded part of the linkage to break because its flexing.
you can replace it with an aftermarket piece but you should still make sure the nut is securely locked and loctited into place and if you do that I think the BMW part will work as well as the aftermarket....

85 k100RS
99 champagne LT
99 basalt LT (totaled)
80 FXWG owned since new
71 Moto Guzzi (sold)
72 Yamaha (sold)
69 Yamaha (sold)
post #5 of 33 Old Nov 15th, 2009, 7:36 pm

TRY WWW.POWERGRIDINC.COM/BMW
post #6 of 33 Old Nov 15th, 2009, 8:34 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

E-Mail Phil John at [email protected] He has a beefed up replacement that it a great upgrade.

Stevie Shreeve
post #7 of 33 Old Nov 15th, 2009, 9:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida-Bob
Corrected URL:

http://www.powergridinc.com/bmw.asp
post #8 of 33 Old Nov 15th, 2009, 9:36 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn
E-Mail Phil John at [email protected] He has a beefed up replacement that it a great upgrade.
+1 on Phil's replacement. I bought one for my 99 after the stock unit broke a block away from home (got lucky on that one) and another for my 03 LT that I replaced preemptively (I still have the original as a spare for anyone with a 99-04 LT.
I bought another linkage from Phil for my 05 but the stock is now beefier and I haven't had the need to replace yet.
BTW the kit sold by Phil includes a drill bit and an extractor bit to remove the broken piece

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 33 Old Nov 15th, 2009, 10:13 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the info everyone. I'll definitely be contacting Phil.

In the meantime, I'm glad I haven't gotten rid of my Suzuki V-Strom, cause at least I've still got a bike to ride while I get the LT fixed.

Thanks again!
post #10 of 33 Old Nov 16th, 2009, 7:56 am

From the Powergrinder site:

"Powergrid is proud to announce a durable solution to the common problem of shifter linkage failure associated with these premium bikes.

This system uses the precision THK ball links. They are pre-greased and have a water-tight seal. The large ball allows smooth operation. They never need servicing. Install them and forget about them. The left-hand and right-hand threaded rod allows an easy final adjustment for pedal position on the long linkage."

My concern, and I generally feel this way when trying to "MODIFY" something the BMW engineers have designed ( I know , the Kool-Aid taste sweet!) is that they had a reason for building it the way that they did, especially after the model has been out for several years. I am told that this so called weak link protects more expensive parts connecting to the transmission and if you beef up the link, those other parts could break in a fall and are not as easy or cheep to repair and or replace.

I carry spare parts for the gear shifter assembly, for an emergency, keep my stock parts greased up and trust the German engineering.

Still don't understand why though the control for the heated seat is on the throttle side of the seat !!!!!!!!!! Must be a good reason somewhere.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #11 of 33 Old Nov 16th, 2009, 9:35 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandiver
From the Powergrinder site:

"Powergrid is proud to announce a durable solution to the common problem of shifter linkage failure associated with these premium bikes.

This system uses the precision THK ball links. They are pre-greased and have a water-tight seal. The large ball allows smooth operation. They never need servicing. Install them and forget about them. The left-hand and right-hand threaded rod allows an easy final adjustment for pedal position on the long linkage."

My concern, and I generally feel this way when trying to "MODIFY" something the BMW engineers have designed ( I know , the Kool-Aid taste sweet!) is that they had a reason for building it the way that they did, especially after the model has been out for several years. I am told that this so called weak link protects more expensive parts connecting to the transmission and if you beef up the link, those other parts could break in a fall and are not as easy or cheep to repair and or replace.

I carry spare parts for the gear shifter assembly, for an emergency, keep my stock parts greased up and trust the German engineering.

Still don't understand why though the control for the heated seat is on the throttle side of the seat !!!!!!!!!! Must be a good reason somewhere.
You mention a legimate concern. I have not yet had my shift linkage apart to look at it in detail, but I believe someone mentioned a while back that there are actually a couple of linkages in the chain from shifter to gearbox. If this is the case, then the single linkage that is described above may not remove entirely the system "fuse."

Also, not all engineering decisions are driven by the engineers. Many are driven by economics from the MBAs. DAMHIK.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #12 of 33 Old Nov 16th, 2009, 10:38 am

Email sent.

Bob Brendel
05 LT, Light Metallic Yellow
99 LT, Totaled 3/09
97 HD Former Work Bike
88 GL1500
84 GL1200
S3 400 Kaw, too long ago to remember the year
175 Yamaha even longer

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night

Only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf

George Orwell
post #13 of 33 Old Nov 16th, 2009, 11:35 am

Talking Re: @#!%ing gear shifter broke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandiver

Thats cause they sell the bikes over here in the UK, all ours are right hand drive!!!!

2006 k1200LT........my 13th!
post #14 of 33 Old Nov 16th, 2009, 11:49 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgl57
I feel that the shifter linkage breaking is mostly due to the nut coming loose and when that happens you lose the rigidity of the shaft and allows the threaded part of the linkage to break because its flexing.
you can replace it with an aftermarket piece but you should still make sure the nut is securely locked and loctited into place and if you do that I think the BMW part will work as well as the aftermarket....
Agreed. Two things happen. The ball joint lube dries out and the motion created by shifting tends to cause the threaded portion to loosen up since the dry joint resists motion. Fortunately mine simply unscrewed and fell out without breaking. With regular cleaning and lubing the joint along with loctite there hasn't been any more problems. I still carry spare parts though.
post #15 of 33 Old Nov 16th, 2009, 11:56 am

Talking Re: @#!%ing gear shifter broke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon
Thats cause they sell the bikes over here in the UK, all ours are right hand drive!!!!
Now that's funny!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT

post #16 of 33 Old Nov 16th, 2009, 12:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
Now that's funny!
OK.... now I get it! but if I ever get a new seat, the heat control is going on the left side....

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #17 of 33 Old Nov 16th, 2009, 1:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT_Pilot

I replaced the one on my 2003 LT as soon as I first read about this replacement.

2018 K1600GTL
2012 K1600GTL (retired)
2003 K1200LT (retired)

IBA # 35048
post #18 of 33 Old Nov 17th, 2009, 9:08 am

Is it really necessary to replace the entire shifting assembly? AFAIK, the part that breaks most often is the ball pin (p/n 51247010221). That's also what broke on mine. I mention that because the Powergrid shifting assembly replacement is $98 on their eBay store, which is pricey and potentially not needed. How much are Phil's aftermarket ball pins?

Here's a part fiche for reference:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...61&hg=23&fg=05

Cheers,

Adam
2006 K1200LT 2001 Kawi KLR650
The
wants YOU!
post #19 of 33 Old Nov 17th, 2009, 10:23 am

I keep a copy of this diagram with my bikes tool kit, along with the necessary parts to make a road repair. Handy insurance I haven't had to use, but nice if I need it.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #20 of 33 Old Nov 17th, 2009, 11:10 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by browad
Is it really necessary to replace the entire shifting assembly? AFAIK, the part that breaks most often is the ball pin (p/n 51247010221). That's also what broke on mine. I mention that because the Powergrid shifting assembly replacement is $98 on their eBay store, which is pricey and potentially not needed. How much are Phil's aftermarket ball pins?

Cheers,
I don't think it is necessary to replace the entire assembly. A few years ago I replaced the OEM ball ends with parts from Midwest Controls. The parts I purchased were ESM-6 and I spent about $20 and still have left overs. The only problem I have had since was one of the studs backed out. I put some locktite on it and reinstalled the same part.

Res ipsa loquitur, sed quid in infernos dicet?

Alan Stuber
2003 K1200 LTC Titan Silver
Austin, Texas

post #21 of 33 Old Nov 17th, 2009, 12:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by browad

Cheers,
If the shaft is in good shape it can be reused but several riders have seen the original break. If everything is clean, lubed and loctited it most likely won't be an issue but a slightly stronger shaft isn't a bad idea. Metal fatigue does happen. At least carry a spare.
post #22 of 33 Old Nov 17th, 2009, 1:41 pm
Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT_Timmer
Thanks for the info everyone. I'll definitely be contacting Phil.
Hi Tim -

Keep in mind that the BMW shifter is designed to break in case of a tipover - to prevent further damage to the gearbox, etc, if the shifter happens to take a direct hit.

Also keep in mind that the BMW shifter is a little more delicate than other brands. You really can't "stomp" on them like you can others. If you are having trouble getting it into first, try double-clutching and/or rocking the bike slightly forwards/backwards and she'll drop right in.

If properly lubed, you'll only need very light foot pressure to shift.

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

post #23 of 33 Old Nov 17th, 2009, 4:28 pm

Not having had a failure ( gone and done it now)

which is the piece most commonly found to fail. I don't currently carry a spare, but thinking I should do.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shift linkage.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	25344  

Rgds
Mike

"For those that know, no explanation is needed,
For those that don't, no explanation is possible."

2001 K12 LT Toscana Green AKA Baby Sh*t Green
Kawasaki EN500 - been sold on!
Hardtail Chopper ( Honda CB 500 engine) in a box still!
post #24 of 33 Old Nov 17th, 2009, 5:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by myk_edwards
Not having had a failure ( gone and done it now)

which is the piece most commonly found to fail. I don't currently carry a spare, but thinking I should do.
Part 3 usually breaks. The pivot stud sometimes gets loose and then it snaps off at the threads.

2015 K1600GTL
1970 Plymouth Superbird 440-6bbl
1969 Plymouth Barracuda Fastback 340-auto
1969 Plymouth Barracuda Convertible, 6.1 L SRT8 Hemi transplant
post #25 of 33 Old Nov 17th, 2009, 5:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealWing
Part 3 usually breaks. The pivot stud sometimes gets loose and then it snaps off at the threads.
Part 3 is repeated in 3 locations. Is one of them more prone to failure than the others? I think most reports are that it's the one attached to the foot lever....which makes sense.

Dave
-2000 K1200LT
-------------------------------
Life's too short to ride ugly motorcycles
post #26 of 33 Old Nov 17th, 2009, 5:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukey33
Part 3 is repeated in 3 locations. Is one of them more prone to failure than the others? I think most reports are that it's the one attached to the foot lever....which makes sense.
Sorry- yes it is the one attached to the foot lever.

2015 K1600GTL
1970 Plymouth Superbird 440-6bbl
1969 Plymouth Barracuda Fastback 340-auto
1969 Plymouth Barracuda Convertible, 6.1 L SRT8 Hemi transplant
post #27 of 33 Old Nov 17th, 2009, 6:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealWing
Thanks, think I'll take mine apart and get some grease in there and learn how it all hangs together. Good idea fom one of the other posters to keep a copy of the diagram to hand. Might print this out and laminate it and keep in in the top box.

Rgds
Mike

"For those that know, no explanation is needed,
For those that don't, no explanation is possible."

2001 K12 LT Toscana Green AKA Baby Sh*t Green
Kawasaki EN500 - been sold on!
Hardtail Chopper ( Honda CB 500 engine) in a box still!
post #28 of 33 Old Nov 18th, 2009, 4:43 am

I'm going to help Tim repair the shifter. His broke where part #3 goes into #10.

Bob Brendel
05 LT, Light Metallic Yellow
99 LT, Totaled 3/09
97 HD Former Work Bike
88 GL1500
84 GL1200
S3 400 Kaw, too long ago to remember the year
175 Yamaha even longer

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night

Only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf

George Orwell
post #29 of 33 Old Nov 18th, 2009, 5:08 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rab1967
I'm going to help Tim repair the shifter. His broke where part #3 goes into #10.
When I took mine apart last week, this was the same piece that had some play in it. I unscrewed it, put some lock tight on it, and tightened it up.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

post #30 of 33 Old Nov 18th, 2009, 10:29 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rab1967
Yup, that's the one! Of course it couldn't be the one attached to the foot lever... That would be too easy to remove once broken.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT

post #31 of 33 Old Nov 18th, 2009, 2:13 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukey33
To answer our question - Yes, the one that is loose. They all have an equal chance of working loose and when that happens they snap. I open that area up every 12K and check for lube and tightness on each of the ball studs. Often I find one loose, including the one on the tranny input. I have an 05 so the one on the foot lever has been changed to a larger thread size, so all my loose one's have been on the #10 bell crank and the tranny lever.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #32 of 33 Old Nov 19th, 2009, 5:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon

It's because the cruise control is on the left side.

Glenn
Virginia Beach VA and Washington DC

2006 K1200LT "Phoenix Helena": Dark Graphite (#946)
2005 K1200LT "Dolly": Dark Graphite (#946) - Totaled July 2011
2002 K1200LT "Helga"-totaled Apr 2009
Iron Butt Membership # 45813

<By Motorcycle>

<By Car or Ship>
post #33 of 33 Old Nov 21st, 2009, 1:40 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up Re: @#!%ing gear shifter broke!

A HUGE thanks to Bob Brendel (aka rab1967) for fixing my shifter linkage assembly, changing my final drive oil, and for teaching me stuff about my bike today!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in