Suspension Clunk - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Nov 14th, 2009, 8:22 am Thread Starter

Suspension Clunk

Hello all new to the forum, Just bought an LT to do more touring with my wife, So far so good 400miles in the first weekend smooth comfortable no drama

I did however notice a distinct clunk in the suspension when hitting hard bumps, is this normal? Has anyone ever experienced this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Nov 14th, 2009, 9:48 am

Re: Suspension Clunk

Hello,

Let me be the first to say "welcome" to the asylum!

Not sure what miles your bike has but it sounds like new shocks are in order unless you have not tried to adjust them.

Have fun and ride safe... you will love the bike!

Mugz

"If at first you don't succeed... well, so much for skydiving."

BMWMOA - #45711

2006 K1200LT - Blue Baby
2003 R1150GS - Yellowbird
1981 R100CS - Sadly gone
1991 K1100RS - Sold and burned
1986 K100RS - In the past
post #3 of 18 Old Nov 14th, 2009, 10:05 am

A clunk as in your shocks bottoming out? Front or Rear? If its the rear have you cranked down the preload? Does your preload need to be refilled? Check the link. http://members.cox.net/slartidbartfa.../shock-oil.htm

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.

post #4 of 18 Old Nov 14th, 2009, 10:55 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply, the bike is new only 600 miles on it, i have adjusted the preload. Hard to describe the clunk I don't think it is bottoming out , I am 175lbs. The bike is cruising along magic carpet like sucking up all the road imperfection and then I will hit an expansion joint or or something abrupt like that and there is a clunk seem to be both front and rear. Maybe this is normal for this suspension?
post #5 of 18 Old Nov 14th, 2009, 11:00 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEBMW
Thanks for the reply, the bike is new only 600 miles on it, i have adjusted the preload. Hard to describe the clunk I don't think it is bottoming out , I am 175lbs. The bike is cruising along magic carpet like sucking up all the road imperfection and then I will hit an expansion joint or or something abrupt like that and there is a clunk seem to be both front and rear. Maybe this is normal for this suspension?

Not normal in my books for a bike with 600 miles. If the preload is adjusted to your riding requirements then you should not be bottoming out, which you say you are not. Dum question but have you checked that everything is tight? Failing that, it should still have warranty, right?

Mugz

"If at first you don't succeed... well, so much for skydiving."

BMWMOA - #45711

2006 K1200LT - Blue Baby
2003 R1150GS - Yellowbird
1981 R100CS - Sadly gone
1991 K1100RS - Sold and burned
1986 K100RS - In the past
post #6 of 18 Old Nov 14th, 2009, 11:10 am Thread Starter

I think you are on to something feels more like something isn't tight. 600 mile service is coming up and I do have 3 years of warranty so I will have them check it.

Bikes

2009 K1200LT
2007 Ducati Multistrada DP ECU full Arrow
2005 Husqvarna TC250
1998 Harley Davidsion FLHRCIRoad King Classic (sold)
post #7 of 18 Old Nov 14th, 2009, 11:49 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I found the front shock to be much harsher than I expected when I bought mine new 5 years ago. I just got used to it until I went to a set of Ohlins at about 20K. It made the front a little bit softer and I will ask for more softness in damping when I send these back in for rebuild. It still "reads and reports" all the hard bumps. The front travel is not as great as other bikes due to the telever design. But boy does she handle.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 18 Old Nov 14th, 2009, 2:29 pm

WELCOME ABOARD!

I have the same problem with my 09 I've taken it back to the shop to be told yup you're over weight with the OEM rear shock spring the preload helps a little when two up but overall the OEM spring is lite weight. I'm told the installing a new Ohlins will correct the issue and make the ride a great deal better.

Really makes one wonder what BMW is thinking when they call this bike a "TOUR" bike when they use a shock system that isn't designed for two people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEBMW

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969
post #9 of 18 Old Nov 14th, 2009, 5:50 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Have to agree with John on this. I was not expecting the harsh or abrupt suspension either on my 07. At first I thought the head bearings were loose. After I realized it was just the nature of the suspension I got used to it.

I put Hyper Pros on at 11,000 and as John said it still will report sometimes but not as harsh or abrupt. I need a Tech session on Suspension set up I am sure I don't have these set up as well as they should be.

But she is a joy in the handling department, and with new sneakers on, properly scuffed in, she can do some amazingly scary stuff

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #10 of 18 Old Nov 15th, 2009, 11:05 am Thread Starter

Thanks all sounds like nature of the beast drizzling this morning up here in new england but suppose to hit a balmy 60 degree so time for a ride.

Bikes

2009 K1200LT
2007 Ducati Multistrada DP ECU full Arrow
2005 Husqvarna TC250
1998 Harley Davidsion FLHRCIRoad King Classic (sold)
post #11 of 18 Old Nov 15th, 2009, 1:54 pm

Garage

This may or may not help, but recently happened to me and as I found has happened to a few in my little group. Separation of front wheel fender! look at the side connection bolts on the fender. You'll see where the painted color and the black form a seam. For some reason that seam (actually not a structured seam) gives way and allows the fender to slap against the fork tube. Simple fiberglass repair (thank you my friend!) of the seam. May or may not be your specific issue, but could help, right...

Hoss
'Stupidity has a knack of getting its way.' --Albert Camus
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
R.I.P. - '00- K1200LTE- "Barbara" - Retired at 168K 9/2011
MOA, IBA, EXR & RCB and TMI
post #12 of 18 Old Nov 15th, 2009, 8:13 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kra961
WELCOME ABOARD!

I have the same problem with my 09 I've taken it back to the shop to be told yup you're over weight with the OEM rear shock spring the preload helps a little when two up but overall the OEM spring is lite weight. I'm told the installing a new Ohlins will correct the issue and make the ride a great deal better.

Really makes one wonder what BMW is thinking when they call this bike a "TOUR" bike when they use a shock system that isn't designed for two people.
Do the two people weigh as much as three normal people? :-)

My 2007 LT has sufficient payload for me, my wife and full baggage. With a carrying capacity of 470 lbs, even my less than welterweight 225 lbs still leaves 245 lbs for the wife and baggage. Since my wife weighs a fair bit less than me, we can easily fill all three bags to their rated capacity (22 lbs each if memory serves) and still have carrying capacity left over.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #13 of 18 Old Nov 16th, 2009, 7:31 am

Well that's nice Voyager I guess we should all weigh what you do then... if only it were a perfect world then none of us would have any problems.

The fact of the matter is the suspension is built for individuals that weigh less then what most people do which is why a company like Ohlin exists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager
Do the two people weigh as much as three normal people? :-)

My 2007 LT has sufficient payload for me, my wife and full baggage. With a carrying capacity of 470 lbs, even my less than welterweight 225 lbs still leaves 245 lbs for the wife and baggage. Since my wife weighs a fair bit less than me, we can easily fill all three bags to their rated capacity (22 lbs each if memory serves) and still have carrying capacity left over.

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969
post #14 of 18 Old Nov 16th, 2009, 9:39 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kra961
Well that's nice Voyager I guess we should all weigh what you do then... if only it were a perfect world then none of us would have any problems.

The fact of the matter is the suspension is built for individuals that weigh less then what most people do which is why a company like Ohlin exists.
Actually, I'm a good 25 lbs overweight for my height (6') so it would be better to weigh a lot less then me.

So, just what weight people do you think BMW should design for? 250 lbs? 300 lbs. 350? What is the right design target?

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #15 of 18 Old Nov 17th, 2009, 1:05 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager
300 lbs. 350?
You need a harley now!....brummmmm...brummmmm!

Hoss
'Stupidity has a knack of getting its way.' --Albert Camus
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
R.I.P. - '00- K1200LTE- "Barbara" - Retired at 168K 9/2011
MOA, IBA, EXR & RCB and TMI
post #16 of 18 Old Nov 17th, 2009, 7:35 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoswell
You need a harley now!....brummmmm...brummmmm!
I could deal with the Harley. It's the tattoos that I can't stand! :-)

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #17 of 18 Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 2:34 pm

Back to the suspension clunk. Can you definately determine it's in the suspension. What was mentioned before about the front fender I had happen to the rear inside fender. One cap screw was only one turn loose and it sounded like the whole six CD changer was bouncing around in the bag. CD changer's been out for ever though. This was also a problem I couldn't find by bouncing the bike in the garage. The jaring needed to be sharp.

Good luck,
Del

Del Brisson
2005 K1200LT
post #18 of 18 Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 3:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoswell
This may or may not help, but recently happened to me and as I found has happened to a few in my little group. Separation of front wheel fender! look at the side connection bolts on the fender. You'll see where the painted color and the black form a seam. For some reason that seam (actually not a structured seam) gives way and allows the fender to slap against the fork tube. Simple fiberglass repair (thank you my friend!) of the seam. May or may not be your specific issue, but could help, right...
Wish I would have read this post before leaving for CCR this past August. While traveling across Wisconsin, I encountered a suspension clunk, but could not identify the source. At speed on I-94 I watched a piece of plastic fly off the bike in my rear view mirrors. Stopped at the next exit and found that my front fender had separated exactly where you described

BTW if anyone happens to see it laying on the side of I-94 between Eau Claire and Menomonee bring it to CCR in VT and we'll try the fiberglass repair trick

Jeff in Myrtle Beach
'01 LTC
'99 Icon champagne
'02 KLR 650
TZ 185 2 stroke
Honda R100R beater

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in