Do the final drives Have Vents? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Nov 12th, 2009, 8:59 pm Thread Starter

Do the final drives Have Vents?

I just lost the final drive on my 05LT (91236mi) and the mechanic said that possibly pressure could not be vented and forced the bearing assembly to come out to the outside and thereby wrecking the rear end bearing. I saw in an old post that Messenger13 says it does not have a vent. Does it or doesn't it? Now Pinnacle doesn't want to pay for it saying I knew I had a problem but because they are nice they'll pay half but not the whole thing. 1600.00.
I thought the new brake rotor that was put on a month before had voids in the casting and were snagging the pad on the inside. There are no groves only a triangular void which is where I snagged my finger when I ran it across the cool disc. There is no blue discoloration on the rotor which would indicate there really was an issue that was serious. I saw one drop of fluid in the 2 days it sat before I rode to the dealers 10 miles away. tough it might be brake fluid. On the center stand the wheel had no play in it when I checked it before leaving and when they went to take it off none either. pon taking the wheel off the bearing just burst out pushing the seal ahead of it. It only when thump bump about two miles from the shop and I just continued to drive it as I wanted to get it there. They say that negates any warranty, As I see it, if the bearing had already "spun" and hadn't yet given way until it did 2 mikes away there wasn't much more that could have been done to the casting as it was already toast and probably would have had to have been replaced anyway. What say you all that have had experience with Pinnacle in the past, should I take the half or push for the total amount of the repairs?
Thanks for the imput.

Brian A. Brodhead
God created all men, Samuel Colt made them equal

2005 BMW K1200LT Goldie goodtime plastic fm rock'n roamer
1975 Triumph T160 750 restored "Heather" For Sale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Nov 12th, 2009, 9:08 pm

Re: Do the final drives Have Vents?

Yes, it is vented. Look on top, and you will see the vent fitting.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #3 of 11 Old Nov 12th, 2009, 9:23 pm

Garage

Here's my 1000 words.... #2-3-4 & 17
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	25306  

Hoss
'Stupidity has a knack of getting its way.' --Albert Camus
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
R.I.P. - '00- K1200LTE- "Barbara" - Retired at 168K 9/2011
MOA, IBA, EXR & RCB and TMI

post #4 of 11 Old Nov 12th, 2009, 9:27 pm Thread Starter

Thanks Dave I don't have it here to look but I will. Here's a what if for you ,my neighbor knocked the bike over a few weeks before this with her Lincoln while it was on it's kickstand and the bike sustained some damage to some panels and the mirrors were busted off on both sides. I didn't know it for 3 hrs as they neglected to mention it and my land lady was affraid to tell me. Hence it was on it's right side for that time. I told the shop that when they looked it over and asked if that could be a problem, they said no. A friend suggested maybe some dirt or the bottom debris of the housing inside got in the vent and plugged it and then the mechanics idea might be true. I drove 2000 miles on it from when she knocked it over, but mostly going slow 55mph stuff. When I came back from Orlando though I took the freeway and 75 to a bit more than that, Maybe that was the tipping point? Any thoughts? Just a question. I had changed the fluid in the FD 2000 miles previous to that. So only 4000 milee on synthetic.
Thanks

m

Brian A. Brodhead

post #5 of 11 Old Nov 12th, 2009, 10:07 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Well with 91,000 miles I would suspect it was in need of a rebuild at least. I don't know if a the lady knocking it over would do it per say, but I also would think impact in the rear sides could cause it by sliding the rear wheel across the tread pattern side ways. And I am not sure if the rear wheel, while on her skirts is exposed or not? Who knows how, or what she hit?

Seriously if you have made a police report I would go back to insurance for hidden damage.

On the bright side, a new FD for 800 with a two year warranty is not too bad.

But of course that depends on who's reaching into their wallet

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #6 of 11 Old Nov 12th, 2009, 11:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearmisses
...and I just continued to drive it as I wanted to get it there. They say that negates any warranty, As I see it, if the bearing had already "spun"...
I agree with your position: once the FD blew, it is gone - no matter whether you rode 2 miles or 2 feet.

Now, how long do you have to work to earn $800? I'd invest half that time in calling everyone at Pinnacle, escalating to supervisors, threatening legal action. Nothing to lose at this point, right?

I am getting an impression that all these extended warranties are worthless. I spent almost $1500 on one for my GS. When it blew the FD seal, the warranty company made me prepare all kinds of repair and maintenance records - I surely wasted more time than the measly $100 reimbursement I got. In retrospect, I should have put $1500 into a bank account and used when needed - most likely never.

Robert in Northern NJ

'09 R12GS, '08 R12RT, '03 R1150RT, '01 F650GS - time to thin the herd?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 11 Old Nov 13th, 2009, 12:43 am

A new FD is more like $1,500. Doug Holck had to buy one for his GS while at CCR this past Summer.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 11 Old Nov 13th, 2009, 4:29 am

I agree that the failures happen pretty quickly, I would be surprise to learn that anyone manage to get more than 20 miles or so after the symptoms showed up and of course once the symptoms make themselves evident it is already dead. I also encourage you to take your warranty documents to your attorney and ask him to "translate" the language, if he agrees that they are responsible for the bills then a letter from him can do wonders for how they co-operate in paying for the repairs. My attorney usually just charges about 50 bucks for doing something like this and it has been helpful to me.
Good Luck

post #9 of 11 Old Nov 13th, 2009, 8:44 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
A new FD is more like $1,500. ...
True, but the OP wrote that Pinnacle wants to split the cost 50%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdunique
... My attorney usually just charges about 50 bucks for doing something like this and it has been helpful to me...
Indeed, if nearmisses can find a similar rate for a strongly-worded letter, I'd call it a very worthwhile investment.

Robert in Northern NJ

'09 R12GS, '08 R12RT, '03 R1150RT, '01 F650GS - time to thin the herd?

post #10 of 11 Old Nov 13th, 2009, 8:59 am

If the WARRANTY company offers to pay half they know your claim is viable. Their next move is to get out of as much expense as possible so comes the offer for WE'LL PAY HALF. Tell them this sounds like a BAD FAITH OFFER.(They love this phrase). You had no way of knowing when this would go out or control of it either. These companies are just like the bully in school, if you let it start it will only get worse. Stand your ground and push the 100% repair.
post #11 of 11 Old Nov 13th, 2009, 3:14 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for all the imput, will put a call into my Lawyer son in law and see what he says too. One more opinion can't hurt. I already told them to fix it after venting about it and they held their ground. I may see about the previous accident and look into that as the service guy thought it could be related. I drove 400 miles one weekend two up the next alone to Biketoberfest but riding along with a buddy. We had the gals on the back for a 150 miles or so, then home to Ft Myers. I then went back to Orlando and caught a flight west and the bike sat for ten days. Rode it home and 100 miles into it at a stop heard the brake touchinhg in a spot and figured it was an occlusion in the disc. Not a life threatening thing and didn't figure I couldn't ride the bike home 80 more miles. 2000 miles after the knock down. I'll know for the next time what to say! "I trailered it to the shop and dropped it off". Thanks for the help.

Brian A. Brodhead

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in