What the..........................! - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By jzeiler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old Nov 11th, 2009, 9:56 pm Thread Starter

Garage
What the..........................!

Riding down the road on a nice day, came to a stop and bam.. ABS lights started dancing. I've had this occur every so often, no rym or reason. The cure at this point is to turn the bike off, back on again and the lights disappear. Only thing I can contribute it to at this point is the squeal of the rear brake. Removed thh rear checked the pads and area, all looks good...

ABS sensor out of spec?
Possible larger unknown issue?
Thoughts?

Hoss
'Stupidity has a knack of getting its way.' --Albert Camus
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
R.I.P. - '00- K1200LTE- "Barbara" - Retired at 168K 9/2011
MOA, IBA, EXR & RCB and TMI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old Nov 11th, 2009, 10:01 pm

Re: What the..........................!

Been there, done that. The brake fluid is just low enough that it flows to the front of the resevoir on braking then is just high enough to reset while stopped. Check your pads for wear. Mine were getting low when the light came on.

2Wheelroadtrip (Barney)
03 LTC
82 Aspencade
Time Out camper

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It's not where we go. It's that we go.

The information from this site and its members has proven to be invaluable again.
post #3 of 27 Old Nov 11th, 2009, 10:03 pm

It's a 'puter'...............some times ya' just need to 'Boot' it...............iduno...........?.......

post #4 of 27 Old Nov 11th, 2009, 10:12 pm
Super Moderator

+1 on the low brake fluid. The rear reservoir is very touchy about the level. If the battery is on the way out that can cause it as well.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 27 Old Nov 11th, 2009, 10:33 pm

The flashing ABS lights can't possibly be caused by low fluid. Steve's double naught, like mine, doesn't have fluid monitors in the reservoirs. A search for flashing ABS lights will display a list of threads, one detailing how to connect an analog test meter to the diagnostic connection under the seat, read the number of pulses of the indicator, and that will tell you what has caused the fault. If restarting clears the fault, it probably won't give a reading. If key off, key on doesn't reset the system, it should be able to read the fault.

Since restarting resets the system, sure could be a wheel sensor. The test meter will tell you front or rear.

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909
post #6 of 27 Old Nov 11th, 2009, 11:29 pm

He may also have a bad ABS releay. One under the front tupperware and then one in front of the ABS unit itself. That one runs about $120.00 and lots of dexterity to loosen the ABS unit and turn out to get to it.

Rob Asay
99 Canyon Red Lt
"The True Red Dragon"
1982 Honda "Silver Wing"
1986 Gold Wing Interstate "Blue Babe"
1978 Gold Wing
1976 Kawasaki 900
1967 Honda 305 Scrambler
post #7 of 27 Old Nov 11th, 2009, 11:30 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Wheelroadtrip
Been there, done that. The brake fluid is just low enough that it flows to the front of the resevoir on braking then is just high enough to reset while stopped. Check your pads for wear. Mine were getting low when the light came on.
We're thinking along the same lines (scary) I have new pads on the shelf, I may just change to see what's what. Never had this issue though, so it just seems odd. I had a leak somewhere on teh front left caliper, pulled it appart, blead the brakes so the Dot-4 level is good. But will double check the rear..Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palerider
It's a 'puter'...............some times ya' just need to 'Boot' it...............iduno...........?.......

Now this is the response I was waiting for....Almost like I responded myself.... My hats off to you sir! May I be lucky enough to return the sarcasim, SOON!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTaylor
+1 on the low brake fluid. The rear reservoir is very touchy about the level. If the battery is on the way out that can cause it as well.
Keep the battery on the tender, consistantly above 13V. So thats not it, but I will check the rear...Could it be a simple fix??????????????????????? Na, can't be its an LT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee510
The flashing ABS lights can't possibly be caused by low fluid. Steve's double naught, like mine, doesn't have fluid monitors in the reservoirs. A search for flashing ABS lights will display a list of threads, one detailing how to connect an analog test meter to the diagnostic connection under the seat, read the number of pulses of the indicator, and that will tell you what has caused the fault. If restarting clears the fault, it probably won't give a reading. If key off, key on doesn't reset the system, it should be able to read the fault.

Since restarting resets the system, sure could be a wheel sensor. The test meter will tell you front or rear.
What do you mean I don't have fluid monitors? Of coarse I do, what do you think the wifes job is! Think, go get me a beer, women! (NOTE: not to be repeated in her presence!) The system resets itself every time. (its actually happened three times in the last two months) Suspect #1- DOT-4 level of the rear, #2- Pads. As for the connection of a test meter....lets hope I don't have to get to that point..She's been a good girl!

Oh, by the way.....NICE BIKE! (mine is better)

Hoss
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen

Last edited by shoswell; Nov 12th, 2009 at 2:40 am.
post #8 of 27 Old Nov 11th, 2009, 11:46 pm
Cat Herder

Garage

You may be heading to ABS failure... I am having all kinds of weirdness as well (see my other threads). I have checked every electrical think possible. I am fearing the $2400 part plus install and fluid change... $3200+ for the fix. If this is the case and I can't get the part for half price I will be trading my beloved LT in for a new RT.

The dealer will give me $5500 - $6000 for the LT. The fix is more than half of the value of the bike.

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

post #9 of 27 Old Nov 12th, 2009, 9:29 am
Super Moderator

I'm 90% sure it a brake fluid level thing. All of my LTs did this, and I fixed it with DOT4 every time, save the 1 time my battery needed replacing.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #10 of 27 Old Nov 12th, 2009, 1:49 pm

I fought the same problem with my 2000 for months, Resetting it would only last a short time. Finally after a scary "non-ABS" skid, I bit the bullet and went for the new ABS unit. Problem solved. No problems since.

Dan King
2000 K1200LTC
Springville, Ca
post #11 of 27 Old Nov 12th, 2009, 1:56 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTaylor
I'm 90% sure it a brake fluid level thing. All of my LTs did this, and I fixed it with DOT4 every time, save the 1 time my battery needed replacing.
I am 100% sure it is not fluid as the ABS II has no monitors of fluid level. There are many things it can be and there is a rather long post about how to read out the fault by counting light flashes.

Also you can check the GS-911 registry as they now have SW to handle the ABS II system. There are some things you can do to fix the realy and motor faults as well as some good chances at fixing a stuck piston fault. Well documented in the FAQ area on the ADVrider board.

The electronics "brain" can still be an issue as it is not well documented.
Frenchy likes this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #12 of 27 Old Nov 12th, 2009, 2:11 pm Thread Starter

Garage

David, Dan, John- Thanks for the input. Checked the Dot-4 last night, looked good, but added ever so much... I tink we be getting ahead of ourselves, I hope! The issue is intermittent, only three times in the last two months. In all three occurences, the rear brake squeal preceded the abs light. It was only the last occurence that both lights wig-wagged. But the system resets with key off. I will change out the pads, but they have life left on them, albeit they are low, but not so that I am concerned. While I am at the rear I will check the ABS gap as well...

John, if you remember I had a Dot-4 leak on the front caliper, a thorough clean and torque seems to have corrected that issue. All four pistons are engaging correctly. I will hit up the 911 when all the simple stuff if checked... Thanks for your continued mentorship!!!!

What makes us love this bike so much? simply put..The quality time we spend with her! Priceless!

Hoss
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
post #13 of 27 Old Nov 12th, 2009, 2:26 pm

How old is the Battery? When is the last time you flushed the brakes?
post #14 of 27 Old Nov 12th, 2009, 10:47 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrlakin
How old is the Battery? When is the last time you flushed the brakes?
Who knows +2 yrs is all I know. I have a volt meter on the bike and use a tender and its always 13+ Fronts, just a week ago, rear about a year.

Hoss
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
post #15 of 27 Old Nov 13th, 2009, 11:36 am

Wink Re: What the..........................!

Remember there is a control circuit and a wheel circuit for each brake. The two circuits are not connected, so as the pads wear the wheel circuit fluid will diminish, but the control circuit will never diminish unless there is a leak.

Joe Buttress
Plain Washington
2003 LTE
IBA SS
post #16 of 27 Old Nov 13th, 2009, 11:58 am

On the 99-01's, I believe they recommend the brakes be flushed every year. I do mine every year, and the fluid is very dirty each time I do a flush. Also, those year bikes do not have separate control units. Have you had it on a GS 911 to read out the faults? Just so you know, I have a 2000 that I bought used three years ago with approx. 8600 miles on it. I rode it for four thousand miles, and the ABS lights started blinking on it. In fact, the first time it happened was right after I had taking it to the dealer for the 12000 sevice. The dealer told me then the ABS unit was bad, and needed replacement, but they reset the fault code, and I was able to ride it for about 2000 miles before it started doing it again. Had it reset again at the dealer, and it was good for another 2000 miles or so. When it happened again, I just rode it. When my buddy and I did the 24000 mile service, I put in a new battery, flushed the brakes, and reset the default with a GS 911 code reader we had purchased. The lights stayed off until just this past fall, and they started flashing with about 50000 miles on the bike. Now I can't reset the code and I have resigned myself to replacing the unit. I was able to find a used unit on EBAY, and my buddy and I plan on replacing it this Winter, and replace the brake lines with Spieglers. BTW, the code default always has read there is a piston failure. If I were you, I would do a brake flush and see if that helps any.
post #17 of 27 Old Nov 13th, 2009, 2:19 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

Steve:

Look around the final drive unit for a frayed wire leading to the ABS sensor due to the wire being zip tied too tight. This was a know issue for 1999-2000 model years.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
post #18 of 27 Old Nov 13th, 2009, 5:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Wheelroadtrip

+1, add fluid

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #19 of 27 Old Nov 13th, 2009, 7:35 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaffyK
Steve:

Look around the final drive unit for a frayed wire leading to the ABS sensor due to the wire being zip tied too tight. This was a know issue for 1999-2000 model years.
Just stuck my head under her skirt.....traced both the speed sensor and the abs back to the rear shock...Nada. Nothing of circumstance.

Still can't make the link to the every so often wig wag and its connection to the rear brake squeal. I checked the abs gap, and the max feeler gauge is right there. As I have not adjusted the ring, nor the sensor, I'd think it was good... next up is to simply change out the pads....

+200,000,000 - already checked/added DOT-4

Hoss
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
post #20 of 27 Old Nov 14th, 2009, 1:36 am
Cat Herder

Garage

It seems that the 2000 model year was hell on ABS modulators. Is there anyone out there with a 2002-2003 with the same problems and what was the fix.

Adding brake fluid helps get the light off but it makes no difference when the ABS servo takes a dump and there is no power assist.
The really irritating thing is it is intermittent... Rear power assist works then it dies.

Tvguy

post #21 of 27 Old Nov 14th, 2009, 4:30 pm

I have had this issue occur several times, but only in the winter. It appears when the bike has sat in the garage for a week of no riding and only occurs at the first full stop. I have had no other problems with brakes and mine is an 02.

2002 LT 'The Golden Girl'
post #22 of 27 Old Nov 15th, 2009, 1:15 am
Cat Herder

Garage
Lightbulb Re: What the......!

I sent an email to bmwabs.com and they can actual fix LT ABS units. I just hope they can fix a integral system.

Here's Hoping...!!!!

Tvguy

post #23 of 27 Old Nov 15th, 2009, 10:49 am

Hi Hoss,

You have check the battery, if the voltage of battery is not enough, the ABS lamp will
alternate dancing. details please refer to ABS of operation manual.

If possible you can check by GS-911, since I use this tools to clear the fault code of ABS.

Danny

Hong Kong
post #24 of 27 Old Nov 15th, 2009, 11:05 am

The pads may not solve the issue. About 3 months ago I had the lights flash twice on a weekend trip. When I got home the resivoir was low so I topped it off. No more flashing lights. A few weeks ago I replaced the rear pads and on the first ride the lights fashed! I stopped and we stretched our legs. No more lights again.

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

post #25 of 27 Old Nov 16th, 2009, 12:44 am
Cat Herder

Garage
Arrow Re: What the..........................!

bmwabs.com says they can fix my '02 integral ABS unit... Calling them tomorrow.

Tvguy

post #26 of 27 Old Nov 17th, 2009, 1:06 am Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy
bmwabs.com says they can fix my '02 integral ABS unit... Calling them tomorrow.

and......?

Hoss
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
post #27 of 27 Old Nov 20th, 2009, 12:19 am Thread Starter

Garage

Finally got around to working with the rear brake. Took the pads off and they still have life left, but killed them early for the sake of it.. Cleaned the calipers, sanded the rotar and took a dose of alcohol to clean everything off. Even cleaned the ABS sensor and ring for good measure. Slapped everything back on, and tested. All is fair for the moment. no issues to report. Will repost if and when it comes back....

Hoss
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in