Concept 6 - I like it. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Nov 11th, 2009, 2:42 am Thread Starter

Concept 6 - I like it.

Damn I love it.

Inventive engineers have tried time and time again to fulfil the thrilling concept of a straight-six engine in a motorcycle – lengthways and across – but have never made a genuine breakthrough for road or track machines.

Now, however, BMW's boffins have come up with the Concept 6.

"It's a motorcycle," they claim, "that proves a straight-six, using the most advanced construction and production technology, offers not only unique prestige but also a supreme standard of riding dynamics."

A straight six, while very smooth, made any bike either too long or too wide, upsetting the running gear, weight distribution and centre of gravity – and the required strength made it very heavy

The Concept 6 will expand the K-Series very soon with its introduction as a luxurious tourer, the brands top-of-the-line bike.

Reducing the engine's size was the first hurdle. The Concept 6 is, BMW says, about 100mm slimmer than all other straight-sixes and only a little wider than a large-capacity straight-four that uses conventional technology.

The reduction in width is achieved mainly by a slightly over-square bore/stroke ratio with relatively long stroke and very small gaps between the cylinders. The electrical ancillaries and drive components have been placed behind the crankshaft in open space above the transmission.

More weight was shed with hollow camshafts and very light connecting rods.

"The perfect compensation of masses made possible by the configuration of the engine," BMW says, "avoids the need for a balance shaft and its drive elements, which also cuts weight.

The engine is tipped forward by 55 degrees to lower the centre of gravity and, the bikemaker says, improve balance and road feel – especially if racing. The angle also makes space for an aerodynamically positioned intake manifold directly above the engine.

The bike has a dry sump so the crankcase can be low and flat – far lower than a conventional engine. The oil reservoir is at the rear of the engine block.

The engine will produce about the same power as BMW's 1.3-litre straight-four but torque will be way up with 1.6 engines. The engine offers 130Nm from 2000rpm but can rev to almost 9000 rpm – unmatched in the tourer segment – and BMW claims fuel consumption will be on par with a four-cylinder given similar running conditions.

CARBON-FIBRE TANK

The design of the Concept 6 motorcycle focused in particular on the engine at its heart. The bike has a long front and short rear, BMW's appreciation of the café racer of the 1950's and 60's. Powerful body elements with a platinum finish extend around the engine to continue the "full organic integration" of engine with frame.

The fuel tank is made of carbon-fibre, seen by BMW as an exciting contrast to aluminium shell with its white layers, and the head and tail lights use LED technology.

The power of the bike has been underscored with a six-chamber exhaust complete with side pipes; they complement the intake ducts that also have a platinum look.

"Aerodynamic components such as the twin-tipped engine spoiler and the air guide elements derived from the design of the new S1000 RR Supersports," BMW says, "bridge the gap between functional and clearly visible technology and the smooth design of other body elements."

'MINIMAL INSTRUMENTATION'

The bike's suspension is hung on a light-alloy bridge frame with Duolever and lightweight Paralever arms holding and guiding the wheels front and rear. HP 17" forged wheels and extra-large brakes with six-piston fixed callipers emphasise the sporting look of the machine.

Instrumentation has been kept "minimal" but tells all the tales that need telling. A digital display performs its usual function of presenting road speed but there is intentionally no rev counter on account of the supreme flow of power at all speeds.

So instead an LED display shows the rider at all times how much torque is readily available whenever required.

A bad day on the bike beats a good day in the office.

Last edited by Colyn; Nov 11th, 2009 at 2:48 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Nov 11th, 2009, 9:03 am

Re: Concept 6 - I like it.

I wonder if that two piece saddle has the gap in the middle for a reason..........ergo; no place for the pucker to translocate to.................looks like one H... of a concept that produces some extrordinary torque..............looks like fun .................
post #3 of 15 Old Nov 11th, 2009, 9:58 am

Well that pretty much opens up the door for a look at the new upcoming LT.

All the folks that said it wouldnt happen are suprised , I am sure.

They seem to have followed the basic recipe of the first one to some degree.....basic architecture and layout of the engine is the same as the K12/13 models but with more cylinders and of course displacement. Inline 6 seems like a natural for a BMW given its history in their auto line as well....sure it will be silky smoooooth.

Chassis will most likely follow the same way I would think ....being a lengthened GT platform.

Always LOVED inline sixes in bikes , the CBX being my favorite, especially the early models.

Should be quite nice ..... scared to see the price though. Mid $20's for sure with decent optioning hopefully not much more than that.

post #4 of 15 Old Nov 11th, 2009, 1:31 pm

The Concept 6 will expand the K-Series very soon with its introduction as a luxurious tourer, the brands top-of-the-line bike.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #5 of 15 Old Nov 11th, 2009, 3:32 pm

Maybe they will put a belt drive on the touring model. My 05' is paid off next month so I better start a savings account.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #6 of 15 Old Nov 11th, 2009, 4:56 pm
rlv

With a few modifications, I can see a bad a$$ RT in the concept 6 bike

Richard Vogt
2007 (Silver) R1200RT
2010 R1200GSA (Gertrude)
post #7 of 15 Old Nov 11th, 2009, 4:58 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Still want to see what it looks like fully dressed.

The technology sounds good but it sounds like the are depending on very tight tolerances to help maintain all the weight reduction methods they have used. Can they manage to keep quality control up for it to succeed?

Not sure I have ever heard of hollow cam shafts before?

Very thin space between cylinder walls sounds a bit scary, these are lined not sleeved right?

What have they done to the FD?

The clutch?

Oil pan on the back of the block sounds positive.

Electronics in a hollow space above the transmission sounds good too.

As it is shown is one hell of a bike and bleeding edge, but will not be my LT replacement if the time comes.

Have to say though all but 96 ft lbs at 2000 rpm is amazing!!!!!!!!

Disappointed the just did not go off the GT and go bigger bore. I could have used a bit more punch but my complaint is top heavy, weight, and I can manage the weight.

I will have plenty of reading after you guys get them as I am not due, or in need of one for a few more years

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959

Last edited by LAF; Nov 11th, 2009 at 7:45 pm.
post #8 of 15 Old Nov 11th, 2009, 6:04 pm

The seat appears to follow design practice cuurently be utiliized in higher end bicyclng seats.

I have been using them for a number of years.

The goal is to concentrate the pressure on the 'sit bones', and not on the 'soft tissue".

"
A rider's "sit bones" (ischial tuberosities) rest on a flat, padded rear surface while the soft tissue between the bones is virtually untouched. That's the genius of Body Geometry. Without pressure on this area (called the perineum) the pudendal artery and nerve that pass through are not compressed. There is no loss of genital blood supply or sensation. Body Geometry doesn't stop there. The full-length, V-shaped Minkow Wedge, reduces pressure even in a low racing position for both men and women. Importantly, Body Geometry's padding will not push up in the center as the sit bones depress the sides. This is a common problem with "comfort seats" that are padded with thick foam or squishy gel. The material can actually increase numbing pressure on the perineum.
More here: Bicycle Seats
post #9 of 15 Old Nov 11th, 2009, 6:29 pm

There is a reason we do not see straight 6 engines in cars and that bikes usually split them 3x3 (Honda comes to mind.) The interior cylinders are insulated by very hot neighbors, and even with a lot more coolant, they tend to run much hotter than the outside pairs. I wonder how or if BMW got around that, or if there will be issues with warped heads. rings and pistons like in old Chevy engines.

Bil

wild bil
07 K1200LT Biarritz Blau
80 Yamaha XS850 Black - retired in 06
post #10 of 15 Old Nov 11th, 2009, 11:57 pm

Hmmm...BMW makes the worlds best straight sixes for their cars, so I think this could be a great move for them. I drove a Kawasaki KZ1300 for over 25 years without a hint of engine trouble, that six is considered bulletproof. The final drive has also been bulletproof, so it can be done!
The Honda CBX is prettier, but not as rugged I am told. Benelli also had a six, a 750, so the idea of a straight six on a bike is not new. However, BMW should be able to make a really great one. I thought I would keep my LT for a long long time, but if they come out with a touring bike based on this concept, I might change my mind.

2005 K1200LT
1980 Kaw KZ1300
post #11 of 15 Old Nov 12th, 2009, 12:02 am
Just ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBil
There is a reason we do not see straight 6 engines in cars and that bikes usually split them 3x3 (Honda comes to mind.) The interior cylinders are insulated by very hot neighbors, and even with a lot more coolant, they tend to run much hotter than the outside pairs. I wonder how or if BMW got around that, or if there will be issues with warped heads. rings and pistons like in old Chevy engines.

Bil
I think BMW probably has figured it out, the bulk of their auto engines are all based on the same straight six design.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bmw6.jpg
Views:	921
Size:	502.3 KB
ID:	25291  

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #12 of 15 Old Nov 12th, 2009, 7:55 am

Agreed, if anyone can build a reliable straight six, it's BMW. I have 12 year old 528 with 181,000. Still running strong. Smooth as silk.
post #13 of 15 Old Nov 12th, 2009, 4:01 pm Thread Starter

Here are some more shots ...

Today I had some K1200RS mirrors fitted to my LT and asked the Technician about the 6. He did not know much yet but then he said something that made me wonder ...

"I hope they use this FD in the new bike and not the one from the new K series."

I asked why ...

"Well this FD that you have on your LT is the best FD we have ... sure the bearings can go but if you check regularly and replace if they get play you will pay less than for a chain and sprockets and it is quick and simple to do bearings on this one."

Well I was quite surprised.

A bad day on the bike beats a good day in the office.
post #14 of 15 Old Nov 12th, 2009, 4:44 pm

YAWN.

I was REALLY hoping BMW would put a V-8 in the new LT. That would have even convinced ME to bite the bullet and buy a new one. It would have been an absolute category killer. Can you even imagine the sound it would make with some well tuned pipes?? Maybe they're messin' with us and will do it.

Sure, the new 6 will be a quantum leap, but I won't trust if for several years - not a chance when the Brick will never let me down. I think it is the BEST motorcycle engine ever built, period.

I mean, if Morbidelli could do it 15 years ago...

The first one was just god awful ugly, but the second one looks... kinda like... an LT!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	morbidelli_v8.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	25301   Click image for larger version

Name:	morbidelli v8 7.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	25302  

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Nov 12th, 2009 at 4:59 pm.
post #15 of 15 Old Nov 15th, 2009, 11:09 pm

I have a 1999 LT with 95K and it still runs like a top. I love the bike. My brother bought an 07 GT and it runs like a rocket!. Not a two up tourer but a smokin machine. Twist the throttle and you can pass anything!! No need to down shift.

The LT's plain and simple lack HP power. If they come out with a 6 I will buy one. Think about it, two up, handling and 150 HP?????? HMMMM where is my check book.

Kirk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in