Center Stand Scrap - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Nov 9th, 2009, 11:16 pm Thread Starter
CVJ

Center Stand Scrap

While riding today my center stand scraped on a corner. This has happened many times before but this time it scraped hard enough that the rear tire skipped a little. Not only did it unnerve me a little but it put my wife's nails in my side. Is this a normal thing or is something to low about my stand? Why would BMW make the foot pegs spring loaded if they can't hit the pavement? I was riding two up with luggage but don't believe we were over 1300 lbs. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Nov 9th, 2009, 11:19 pm
BMW Guru

Re: Center Stand Scrap

The center stand will scrape on some corners no matter what you do. If it's happening more frequently then it's time for new shocks.

If you're running two up most of the time then get some Ohlins with the heavy springs.

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 Old Nov 10th, 2009, 12:08 am

Re: Center Stand Scrape

Not nice to scare the SO by dragging hardware.
If you are riding aggressively enough two-up and loaded to cause the rear to "step out" for any reason you need to slow down.
Have you adjusted the rear shock by cranking the adjuster knob under the seat?
Even with Ohlins I sometimes drag but the centerstand is getting well rounded by now.
Maybe take a grinder and help yours by easing the edges some ?

Doug Holck
Lodi, Ca

I don't always ride motorcycles,
but when I do I prefer BMW's.
Ride safely my friends

3 Continents -10 Countries - 50 States

02 K1200LTe
04 1150GS Adventure
08 Suzuki DR650
CCR 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
See you 2015 in Coeur d' Alene, Idaho

BMW MOA 109760
AMA Charter Life Member 518333
International Fellowship of Motorcycling Rotarians
HDDC POSSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 Old Nov 10th, 2009, 6:16 am

Putting Wilbur's shocks on stopped mine form doing that. If your rear preload is cranked all the way down already, you may be ready for new shocks.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #5 of 14 Old Nov 10th, 2009, 7:08 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Sounds like "New" shock time. I scraped my center stand all the time till I put on new shocks. Now I have to try hard to scrape it & have only done it one time.

Stevie Shreeve
post #6 of 14 Old Nov 10th, 2009, 7:56 am

Check your preload adjuster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVJ
...it put my wife's nails in my side. Is this a normal thing?...
Yes!! Although I get the chop into my kidneys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougholck
... you need to slow down.
Have you adjusted the rear shock by cranking the adjuster knob under the seat?
+1 on slowing down and +1 on shock adjuster.

Recently, I just learned something new myself: the OEM preload adjuster may be missing some hydraulic oil. What you think is a "mid-range" setting may be only very "low".

It happened to me: I scraped the stand a few times and have been thinking about shock replacement. Found out about the preload problem on this forum - sure enough, mine was missing about 1/2 of the adjustment range. I cranked it in to compensate (did not fix yet, big R&R coming up this off-season) and the bike feels like new. The rear lifted up quite perceptibly and the bike is much more solid. Apparently, last couple of seasons I have been riding on the softest setting, if any.

So, before you run out and spend $2000 on new shocks, check if you are missing $2 of hydraulic oil. Search this forum for topics on preload adjuster for details.

Robert in Northern NJ

'09 R12GS, '08 R12RT, '03 R1150RT, '01 F650GS - time to thin the herd?

Last edited by rdwalker; Nov 10th, 2009 at 8:01 am.
post #7 of 14 Old Nov 10th, 2009, 8:52 am

Agree that the problem could most probably be solved by either checking that the original shock is in good condition or upgrading to a new and better one.

Good luck
post #8 of 14 Old Nov 10th, 2009, 9:15 am
Super Moderator

The footpegs can hit the pavement, mine were fairly well ground down on all three of my LTs. If you get really aggressive you can drag a hole in the lower fairing, I know of a couple of bikes that have had that badge.

The centerstand will drag in corners, but a lot of the time it's caused by a mid corner bump or dip in the road. The situation you describe sounds like that may have been the case. If you get the bike really leaned over at speed you can get the edge of the foot of the centerstand, but once you clean off the excess material there you can get the pegs on the pavement.

Oh, and I agree with the comments on suspension, both adjustments and going aftermarket. But I definitely don't get the whole "slowing down" thing.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #9 of 14 Old Nov 10th, 2009, 10:50 am Thread Starter
CVJ

Thanks for the info. I'll check the oil but the bike only has 11,000 miles. Bought it from someone afraid of the size. Sounds like a diet may be in my future.
post #10 of 14 Old Nov 10th, 2009, 12:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVJ
... I'll check the oil but the bike only has 11,000 miles...
I don't think this has to do with mileage.

And the check is very simple: no tools required. Just lift up your seat.

Turn the preload adjuster all the way toward LOW settings, until it loses resistance and spins freely. Now start from LOW toward HIGH and feel when the adjustment begins to offer resistance.

If that transition from free-spinning to resistance of control happens at higher setting, you are missing the hydraulic oil. Note, this is NOT the internal shock oil - it is a separate fluid that transfers adjuster motion to preload on the shock.

What this missing fluid causes is that the markings on the adjuster are not true anymore. And, if you needed to set it close to HIGH to match your vehicle weight, you may not be reaching anywhere near that setting.

Robert in Northern NJ

'09 R12GS, '08 R12RT, '03 R1150RT, '01 F650GS - time to thin the herd?

post #11 of 14 Old Nov 10th, 2009, 1:24 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVJ
While riding today my center stand scraped on a corner. This has happened many times before but this time it scraped hard enough that the rear tire skipped a little. Not only did it unnerve me a little but it put my wife's nails in my side. Is this a normal thing or is something to low about my stand? Why would BMW make the foot pegs spring loaded if they can't hit the pavement? I was riding two up with luggage but don't believe we were over 1300 lbs. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
My 2007 behaves the same way. I keep the preload screwed all the way in all the time. Solo, the pegs drag first. Dual, the centerstand drags first on both sides, but seems to drag at a lesser lean angle in right turns than in left turns.

I haven't checked my preload oil level, but the bike has done this since day 1. I'm sure good aftermarket springs and shocks would solve the problem, but I haven't wanted to spend the big bucks just yet.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #12 of 14 Old Nov 10th, 2009, 4:06 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVJ
Thanks for the info. I'll check the oil but the bike only has 11,000 miles. Bought it from someone afraid of the size. Sounds like a diet may be in my future.
My 2001, bought in May 2005 with 10,500 miles had the same problem when riding 2-up. After reading the "how-to" on this site and topping off the preload adjuster (only took about an ounce), it definitely had more ground clearance when loaded. Mine is due new shocks now, but I bought an extra 4 years of service with a little jack oil!

Doug

2001 Pacific Blue LT
1992 750 Nighthawk
1985 VF700S Sabre
1976 CB550F SS
1973 CB350 Four
1972 Yamaha 250
MOA #134470
post #13 of 14 Old Nov 10th, 2009, 4:26 pm

If i was you i would check the centre stand mounts on the gearbox to make sure they are not cracked , A good wack on the stand can do some expensive damage .
regards numbnuts in blighty .
post #14 of 14 Old Nov 10th, 2009, 4:47 pm

I find the cs only scrapes on hard right turns. But if scraped hard enough you can have the rear tire slip right out from under you.

Greg

2000 k1200LT Basalt Grey (Roxie)
BMWMOA Number: 134717
I have a great doctor, if you can't afford the surgery, he'll touch up the xrays -- Henny Youngman

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in