2009 ABS issue - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Nov 9th, 2009, 4:41 pm Thread Starter

Question 2009 ABS issue

The bike has been working fine for the most part. I have had 2 previous experiences where the triangle with the exclamation point would not go out, and the abs brakes would not function. Turning bike off, then back on seemed to clear it those 2 times.

Tonight, once I got home, i turned the bike off, to go in to open the garage door. after backing the bike in, I turned the key on to center stand it, and I now have the flashing triangle with the exclamation point that will not go out.

I have spun the wheels, no brake drag anywhere. i can hear the abs pump whine like it is stuck on. it is not on when i first turn the key, but kicks in after 2-3 seconds, and stays on.

Mark Conlogue
MCSE, MCT
CEH (Certified Ethical Hacker)
CBCP

I take Life with a grain of salt......and a slice of lime and a shot of Tequila
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

20 grand & 2K miles don't make you a biker
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I COULD TELL THEY WERE BIKERS,
IT SAID "LIVE TO RIDE" ON THEIR TRAILER
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Nov 9th, 2009, 4:47 pm

Re: 2009 ABS issue

If it is a 2009, it should be under warranty, and I would be taking it back to the dealer and having them figure it out on their nickel.
post #3 of 13 Old Nov 9th, 2009, 4:54 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrlakin
If it is a 2009, it should be under warranty, and I would be taking it back to the dealer and having them figure it out on their nickel.

It is under warranty, but I would prefer to drive it in rather than trailer it.

Mark Conlogue
MCSE, MCT
CBCP

post #4 of 13 Old Nov 9th, 2009, 4:55 pm

+1 Agreed with the warranty work

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969
post #5 of 13 Old Nov 9th, 2009, 5:10 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Does it stop as normal? How far do you have to go to the dealer? Will they pick it up?

I would say check the brake fluid on the rear brake reservoir and if low top it, ( I am not sure the rear reservoir is monitored?) but see what happens after a long enough ride to check the ABS self test, about 20 feet forward. If it goes out, good, if not, Dealer. The next place would be the ABS unit it's self. That I would make the dealer do not that it is hard but because I would want it documented that it was not prepped right or is loosing fluid, only two choices. Too new to mess with filling a ABS unit. It does not take a lot in the ABS pots to trigger the light.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #6 of 13 Old Nov 9th, 2009, 5:28 pm

Dealer time.

Mine failed when I was in a critical situation.. Dealer made good on repairs.. never had any other probs...

Get'er dun!
post #7 of 13 Old Nov 9th, 2009, 5:41 pm

Is the stop light lit , because if it is it could a fault on one of the micro switches on the front or rear brake lever causing the problem .
Regards numbnuts in blighty
05 in graphitte . .
post #8 of 13 Old Nov 9th, 2009, 6:10 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Here is the details on the warning lights. Also posted in your left hand saddle bad lid.
Attached Files
File Type: doc BMW Integral ABS.doc (24.5 KB, 85 views)

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #9 of 13 Old Nov 12th, 2009, 4:00 pm Thread Starter

Exclamation Re: 2009 ABS issue UPDATE

The dealer indicates that it is the battery. I ride every day, and it goes on the tender if it sits for more than 2-3 days.

the battery failed under the load test, and they have a new gel battery on charge...(6 hours, and it is only at 80%.)

UGH! does this sound like a parasitic drain? or something worse?

Mark Conlogue
MCSE, MCT
CBCP

post #10 of 13 Old Nov 12th, 2009, 4:11 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Re: 2009 ABS issue UPDATE

Sounds like you just got a bad battery. It happens, no big shakes. You should get a new one from the dealer and ride on. 09 they should not fuss. If they pro rate it you may pay a bit.

Are you sure of your key positions? Have you ever left the parking lights on? I know I turn my radio off before I shut my bike down, only because it seems there are issues leaving it on and I want the least amount of things on when I do my initial start. I turn grips, and seat, and radio, and GPS and every thing else that has a on off switch, before I shut it down.

Just makes sense.

You should be fine for some miles of smiles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mconlogue
The dealer indicates that it is the battery. I ride every day, and it goes on the tender if it sits for more than 2-3 days.

the battery failed under the load test, and they have a new gel battery on charge...(6 hours, and it is only at 80%.)

UGH! does this sound like a parasitic drain? or something worse?

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
BMW MOA #135959
post #11 of 13 Old Nov 12th, 2009, 4:19 pm Thread Starter

Re: 2009 ABS issue UPDATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAF
Sounds like you just got a bad battery. It happens, no big shakes. You should get a new one from the dealer and ride on. 09 they should not fuss. If they pro rate it you may pay a bit.

Are you sure of your key positions? Have you ever left the parking lights on? I know I turn my radio off before I shut my bike down, only because it seems there are issues leaving it on and I want the least amount of things on when I do my initial start. I turn grips, and seat, and radio, and GPS and every thing else that has a on off switch, before I shut it down.

Just makes sense.

You should be fine for some miles of smiles.

this is my second LT, the first went 72,000 miles before I totalled it in May of this year. I keep very close track of the key positions, as well as the radio. the dealer is doing this as a 100% warranty, so no biggie there. no additional farkles other than the GPS (factory), and Com system (factory). 8,000 miles on this '09.

Mark Conlogue
MCSE, MCT
CBCP

post #12 of 13 Old Nov 12th, 2009, 4:31 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Then your in like Flynn with 100% coverage. If not, it is noted and would get straitened out down the road.

I have never experienced a dead new battery in a vehicular application, but have on various electronics.

Sounds like your getting taken care of by your Dealer.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
BMW MOA #135959
post #13 of 13 Old Nov 12th, 2009, 5:36 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I am with Lee on this. My 2009 GS that I took delivery of in June just had it's battery replaced by the dealer under warranty. It would take a charge but had no cranking power. I nursed it for two weeks with a charger then it died totally after I got to the dealer. This came on suddenly with no warning. Suspect a bad cell.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in