Clutch Issue - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Nov 8th, 2009, 7:21 pm Thread Starter

Clutch Issue

Hey guys...

I've an '03 with about 20K miles on it and the clutch is slipping. I was a bit ill for most of last year and part of this year, and rode little. The clutch fluid hasn't been changed for about 3 years. Wondering if a change of fluid could help...I did drill the weep hole and there's no leakage. Just realized my Pinnacle warranty won't cover clutches. Not sure what to do...sure could use some help here. Thanks a lot

Reid

Reido
K1600GTL...Blue Metallic
USMC 1971-1975
Ham Radio Call: W0FVR
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
--H.H. Humphrey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Nov 8th, 2009, 11:23 pm
BMW Guru

Re: Clutch Issue

Changing the fluid isn't going to help. It's either contaminated with oil from a leaking seal or the clutch is worn,

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 Old Nov 9th, 2009, 6:17 am

Drill the hole in the bell housing and see if you have any seepage there. The clutch on my 03 went out at 19K but it was from the slave leaking before I got the weep hole drilled....Good luck..........

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.

post #4 of 13 Old Nov 9th, 2009, 9:22 am Thread Starter

I did drill the weephole a couple months ago...no fluid leakage at all...how can a clutch fail at only 20K miles? Oh I forgot, it's a BMW.

Reido
K1600GTL...Blue Metallic
USMC 1971-1975

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
--H.H. Humphrey
post #5 of 13 Old Nov 9th, 2009, 9:42 am
Enthusiast - KI6CDF

Exclamation Re: Clutch Issue

Reid,

I think you might have misinterpreted the reply by rattler50. There are two potential weepholes. In your case you have the weep hole for the clutch slave. Should the clutch slave leak then the brake fluid flows outside the bell housing onto the ground.

However, you can also have a leaking seal (engine or transmission, I think). The oil builds up in the bottom of the bell housing and eventually contaminates your clutch. The clutch will then start slipping.

Good luck. I am hypersensitive to this issues since I've not done either weep hole. I've got a 2003 with 44k miles on it so I'm riding on borrowed time.

Tom

Tom Becker
Rancho Mirage, CA 92270

2003 Titan Silver LTE "Cantabile"
2001 Black R 1150 GS

BMWMOA
AMA
IBA (SS1000, B2B-36)

KI6CDF
post #6 of 13 Old Nov 9th, 2009, 10:44 am

Garage

Rattler and Tom offer a good alternative to check if you have a leak. search the forum and you will see several (including me) that had done this. just in the off chance a leak developes at the rear main seal. very good piece of mind with the added benefits of ease of completion. Nothing to remove, just a small hole at the bottom of the clutch housing. If you have a bad seal, you'll get a small amount of oil under your bike. If this occurs, you are looking at replacing the seal at the least. and "since you're there" replacing the clutch...

Think, slave weep hole but for the rear main seal...

Hoss
'Stupidity has a knack of getting its way.' --Albert Camus
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
R.I.P. - '00- K1200LTE- "Barbara" - Retired at 168K 9/2011
MOA, IBA, EXR & RCB and TMI
post #7 of 13 Old Nov 9th, 2009, 11:14 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reid
I did drill the weephole a couple months ago...no fluid leakage at all...how can a clutch fail at only 20K miles? Oh I forgot, it's a BMW.
Reid
My 03 started a similar slip problem at about the same mileage so after having read so much about the problems on here I just figured mine was gone so I bought all the parts got out my manual and dismantled the bike to install, but I did not need the clutch, what had happened was that the transmission seal right in front of the slave cylinder had started weeping oil which after a period of time contaminated the seals in the slave cylinder (there is no boot or othere protection between the transmission and the slave) that caused the seals to swell and the slave cylinder was binding and not releasing the clutch fully. It doesn't take hardly any pressure against the pressure plate to cause the slippage, of course since I had already taken it apart I measured everything (the clutch had only worn .002 even with the slipping) and replaced the seals before reassembling it. It is quite a bit of work to get to the slave cylinder but what I would advise is that you don't buy any parts until you find out what is actually the problem, after seeing this one I would almost bet that others have replaced the clutch needlessly.

post #8 of 13 Old Nov 9th, 2009, 12:24 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_Becker
Reid,

I think you might have misinterpreted the reply by rattler50. There are two potential weepholes. In your case you have the weep hole for the clutch slave. Should the clutch slave leak then the brake fluid flows outside the bell housing onto the ground.

However, you can also have a leaking seal (engine or transmission, I think). The oil builds up in the bottom of the bell housing and eventually contaminates your clutch. The clutch will then start slipping.

Good luck. I am hypersensitive to this issues since I've not done either weep hole. I've got a 2003 with 44k miles on it so I'm riding on borrowed time.

Tom
I didn't do the bell housing weephole...I didn't see the need at the time, but it's a good idea. The cylinder weephole looks intimidating, but for me it was a 5 hour job...better mechanics on the site can do it in about 2 hours...I don't know how they can do it so quickly...perhaps they've done it before. It's a good idea, I'm sure. I'm thinking I've got other issues with my clutch, don't know right now. No fluid in the cylinder a couple months ago when I did the job...don't see how it could've leaked that much fluid to contaminate in the relatively short time since the procedure was done.

Reido
K1600GTL...Blue Metallic
USMC 1971-1975

--H.H. Humphrey
post #9 of 13 Old Nov 9th, 2009, 12:29 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdunique
Reid
My 03 started a similar slip problem at about the same mileage so after having read so much about the problems on here I just figured mine was gone so I bought all the parts got out my manual and dismantled the bike to install, but I did not need the clutch, what had happened was that the transmission seal right in front of the slave cylinder had started weeping oil which after a period of time contaminated the seals in the slave cylinder (there is no boot or othere protection between the transmission and the slave) that caused the seals to swell and the slave cylinder was binding and not releasing the clutch fully. It doesn't take hardly any pressure against the pressure plate to cause the slippage, of course since I had already taken it apart I measured everything (the clutch had only worn .002 even with the slipping) and replaced the seals before reassembling it. It is quite a bit of work to get to the slave cylinder but what I would advise is that you don't buy any parts until you find out what is actually the problem, after seeing this one I would almost bet that others have replaced the clutch needlessly.
That's very interesting. As I mentioned, it's only been a couple months since I did the slave cylinder weephole and there was virtually no fluid in the cylinder to indicate contamination of the clutch, and the clutch was fine at the time I did the weephole. So, this really sounds like a possibility.

Reido
K1600GTL...Blue Metallic
USMC 1971-1975

--H.H. Humphrey
post #10 of 13 Old Nov 9th, 2009, 12:33 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattler50
Drill the hole in the bell housing and see if you have any seepage there. The clutch on my 03 went out at 19K but it was from the slave leaking before I got the weep hole drilled....Good luck..........
I did misinterpret your post...read it too quickly. I see you are talking about the bell housing vs. the slave cylinder. I didn't drill the housing hole...figured the cylinder weephole would be adequate...it wouldn't have taken much to do the housing hole at the time and I should've done it.

Reido
K1600GTL...Blue Metallic
USMC 1971-1975

--H.H. Humphrey
post #11 of 13 Old Nov 9th, 2009, 6:14 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I did the housing hole when mine started slipping back in June. Even stuck a pipe cleaner in there and saw no trace of oil. When I did tear it down it was obvious there was a slight oil leak as all the clutch dust in the bell housing was oily but no drip or sling evidence. Clutch was worn.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #12 of 13 Old Nov 10th, 2009, 11:37 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
I did the housing hole when mine started slipping back in June. Even stuck a pipe cleaner in there and saw no trace of oil. When I did tear it down it was obvious there was a slight oil leak as all the clutch dust in the bell housing was oily but no drip or sling evidence. Clutch was worn.
+1 on the oily clutch dust . I had a leak in the gear box input shaft seal .

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

post #13 of 13 Old Nov 11th, 2009, 6:41 am

My clutch was toast when I pulled it. The copper strands were coming out of the clutch plate. It was ready to come apart. I replaced only the clutch disc as the pressure plate was not burned. I got the parts very cheap from another member here who thought he needed a clutch but didn't. I lucked out on that. It's still working fine at 64K..........

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in