Oil and Filter Recommendation - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old Nov 7th, 2009, 9:57 pm Thread Starter

Oil and Filter Recommendation

Okay, I need to know the best oil to use in my K1200LT motor, rear end and transmission. I can't see what I'd have to buy BMW oil when there are others on the market that may be as good or better, so with that said, what shoukld I use. Today I went in for the 600 mile check and they did not put GL % in the rear. They used a red synthetic BMW oil. The book say to us GL5. What engine oils and transmission oils can I use. Why didn't they change the transmission oil at 600 miles just like they did the rear end?

Life is all about attitude and the daily challenges it brings, however be who you want to be and say what you feel, because those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old Nov 7th, 2009, 10:15 pm

Re: Oil and Filter Recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWK1200LT
Okay, I need to know the best oil to use in my K1200LT motor, rear end and transmission. I can't see what I'd have to buy BMW oil when there are others on the market that may be as good or better, so with that said, what shoukld I use. Today I went in for the 600 mile check and they did not put GL % in the rear. They used a red synthetic BMW oil. The book say to us GL5. What engine oils and transmission oils can I use. Why didn't they change the transmission oil at 600 miles just like they did the rear end?
They went by the book. Engine oil and rear drive lube get changed at the 600 mile running-in check. The tranny lube gets changed at the 12,000 mile Inspection. Once those service intervals are met, a lot of folks change all three fluids at each scheduled mileage trigger. Some, like me, change 'em at 3,000 mile intervals, butt it's definitely not necessary. (I just like doin' it to keep OPEC happy!!! You see what they're doing with our money over in Dubai!!! ).

For the service check list, refer to the service and technical booklet that came with your bike - usually found behind the trunk mirror. Oh yeah, you don't have to buy BMW fluids - just be sure you use a compatible brand name. Folks change to synth at various mileage - usually around 18,000. YMMV.

Good luck with your maintenance work. Ride safe.
post #3 of 25 Old Nov 8th, 2009, 7:24 am

I change all three main fluids myself every 6,000 miles ( makes it easy to remember) and support my local BMW dealer by purchasing them from him. I don't rush and it takes me about an hour. You can save a little by buying elsewhere, but I just don't see the point!

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)

post #4 of 25 Old Nov 8th, 2009, 8:01 am

I have ridden BMW's for 38 years, and K bikes for the past 20 or so. I use Mobil 1, 15-50 in the engine, and Mobil 1, 75-140 in the trans. and final drive, These are both synthetic. Have used these products for years and have never had any problem at all. I change the engine oil at around 6,000, and the trans. and rear end once a year no matter how many miles. The oil from the trans. and rear looks like new after a year and 10 to 15 thousand miles. It's good stuff.
post #5 of 25 Old Nov 8th, 2009, 8:25 am

Smile Re: Oil and Filter Recommendation

Mobil 1 also, I buy it at wally-mart saves a bunch, got the filters, (don't forget the air and fuel filters) at beemer boneyard.

--Bo
2013 Magma Red R1200GSA
2012 Candy Apple Red R1200R
2007 (2006 Blue Panels) R1200GS (RIP Poteau, OK)
2006 Graphite K1200GT (sold)
2002 Titan Silver LT (sold)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Don't Panic!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Achtung! böse Eichhörnchen!
post #6 of 25 Old Nov 8th, 2009, 11:07 am

I used this kit from Beemer Boneyard and was very pleased with the parts and service. It has everything you need for a 12K service for 150.00. They also have simple oil change kits for much less.

http://www.beemerboneyard.com/k1200ltsupmaintkits.html
post #7 of 25 Old Nov 8th, 2009, 11:23 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandiver
I change all three main fluids myself every 6,000 miles ( makes it easy to remember) and support my local BMW dealer by purchasing them from him. I don't rush and it takes me about an hour. You can save a little by buying elsewhere, but I just don't see the point!
My dealer is 40 miles away and I don't particularly care to go back unless I really need to.

The specs for the LT fluids are published by BMW. As long as the fluids meet these specs then why spend the money, the time, and abandon principle to use genuine BMW fluids.

BMW does not manufacture the lubes or filters for these machines anyway. They contract with someone else to package their products, which meet BMW's specifications, in BMW labeled containers. As far as oil filters go there might be some mitigation of risk by using the BMW filter over the Bosch (or other brand) but I guess that I like to live just a leeeeetle bit on the edge. Emphasis on leeeeetle! Just don't believe the risk is there and ardently hope I'm never proven wrong. BTW the dot matrix print on the factory filter is also paint. Just not as much of it.

BeemerBoneyard (or local auto parts jobber) for filters and o-rings and Castrol 4M for engine oil and should be good to go. I did use Royal Purple for gear box and FD fluid for the following reasons:

1.) RP met BMW's specs and current dealer products
2.) Have read no disparaging reports on Royal Purple
3.) Seems like good Karma, Feng Shui etc. Mauve metallic is just a fancy name for that Royal color Purple.

Pretty good reasoning on 1 and 2 above. Kinda lame on #3!

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #8 of 25 Old Nov 8th, 2009, 12:53 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Castrol 20/50 Full synthetic in the motor every 6K. Mobil 1 in the trans & FD every 12K. Both from Walmart. All my filters (air , oil, fuel) come from BeemerBoneyard .

Stevie Shreeve
post #9 of 25 Old Nov 8th, 2009, 2:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa1200lt
My dealer is 40 miles away and I don't particularly care to go back unless I really need to.

The specs for the LT fluids are published by BMW. As long as the fluids meet these specs then why spend the money, the time, and abandon principle to use genuine BMW fluids.

BMW does not manufacture the lubes or filters for these machines anyway. They contract with someone else to package their products, which meet BMW's specifications, in BMW labeled containers. As far as oil filters go there might be some mitigation of risk by using the BMW filter over the Bosch (or other brand) but I guess that I like to live just a leeeeetle bit on the edge. Emphasis on leeeeetle! Just don't believe the risk is there and ardently hope I'm never proven wrong. BTW the dot matrix print on the factory filter is also paint. Just not as much of it.

BeemerBoneyard (or local auto parts jobber) for filters and o-rings and Castrol 4M for engine oil and should be good to go. I did use Royal Purple for gear box and FD fluid for the following reasons:

1.) RP met BMW's specs and current dealer products
2.) Have read no disparaging reports on Royal Purple
3.) Seems like good Karma, Feng Shui etc. Mauve metallic is just a fancy name for that Royal color Purple.

Pretty good reasoning on 1 and 2 above. Kinda lame on #3!

Loren

It has nothing to do with Karma. My dealer is about an hour ride and I like the idea of supporting the local community. The dealer made me a good deal on the used bike (it had 1,006 miles on it) and I like to show them my appreciation and support. For selfish reasons, I like to replace the fluids myself as I enjoy it. I just don't see the advantage of pinching pennies on the oils.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #10 of 25 Old Nov 8th, 2009, 5:40 pm

I use Castrol 20/50 and Royal Purple so far in the trans and FD. I buy my oil at Wal-Mart and my filters at Autozone. I buy parts from BMW when I have to. Otherwise I don't owe them anything. They're overpriced. They don't work for pennies. The want bucks...............like me........

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.
post #11 of 25 Old Nov 8th, 2009, 7:25 pm

learn to do more myself, but keep going to the dealer as the next one may be alot further away...

Havent yall seen the car dealers getting thinned out?

(i know this will get a few)

Don't be afraid to say what you feel, as those that matter DOnt mind and those that mind Dont matter.
Dr.Suess-
-

1980 YAMAHA XJ650 MAXIM (RIP)
1982 YAMAHA 750 VIRAGO (SHES GONE)
1982 SUZUKI GS1000 (GONE)
2001 BMW K1200LT
2004 BMW R 1150 RT Sold.....
2007 BMW R 1200 GS
1986 BMW K100RT WITH A FLEXIT SIDECAR

1985 BMW K100 RT ( parts bike, but its too nice to do that, so it runs)
post #12 of 25 Old Nov 8th, 2009, 9:53 pm

I changed engine oil last night and intended to tackle transmission & FD. Purchased synthetic Gear Lube from local BMW store yesterday. Had 75-90W in my hand and was told to use 75-140W, which is what I purchased.

My 07 LT manual calls for 90W in trans & FD & I know that I've seen several on this site using Mobil 1.

Can someone tell me if 75-140W is OK in the LT?
post #13 of 25 Old Nov 8th, 2009, 11:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandiver
It has nothing to do with Karma. My dealer is about an hour ride and I like the idea of supporting the local community. The dealer made me a good deal on the used bike (it had 1,006 miles on it) and I like to show them my appreciation and support. For selfish reasons, I like to replace the fluids myself as I enjoy it. I just don't see the advantage of pinching pennies on the oils.
Last post for me on this thread. Dan, I respect your choice of buying "genuine BMW" lubricants from your local dealer. I respect your choice to patronize your dealer by buying these products.

The point I was trying to make is this: There is NO DIFFERENCE, from a lubrication perspective, and therefore NO ADVANTAGE WHATSOEVER, to using BMW lubes instead of products that meet the same specs. Castrol 4M 20W/50 meets the same specs as the BMW oil, is available within a few blocks of my house, and is a lot less money. Royal Purple is the same way. IF (caps for emphasis) I felt the need to support my "local" dealer by purchasing dinosaur by-products from them, I'd buy my oil at the local Auto Zone and send my dealer a check for the difference. Any idea how hard it is to write this (send my dealer a check for the difference, like they have earned it) with a straight face?

I guess I'm too much of a greedy capitalist to spend money I don't need to where I don't need to. The dealership that relies on selling over-priced lubricants to make ends meet is a house of cards.

The good news is we both have the choice.

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

post #14 of 25 Old Nov 9th, 2009, 12:37 am

To fwkraft, After purchasing my used 2000 LT, I checked with the dealer in Seattle, to purchase an oil filter, and the guy at the dealer recommended the 75-140W synthetic for the final drive and tranny

RICH CANNON
2000 K1200LT "a great ride"
2002 GL1800 powerful, but boring..(gone)
1979 XS1100 (gone)
1986 VT500 Ascot (gone)
1972 Honda 500-4 (gone)
1961 Lambretta (way gone)
1962 Allstate Compact (gone but not forgotten)
post #15 of 25 Old Nov 9th, 2009, 7:01 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa1200lt
Last post for me on this thread. Dan, I respect your choice of buying "genuine BMW" lubricants from your local dealer. I respect your choice to patronize your dealer by buying these products.

The point I was trying to make is this: There is NO DIFFERENCE, from a lubrication perspective, and therefore NO ADVANTAGE WHATSOEVER, to using BMW lubes instead of products that meet the same specs. Castrol 4M 20W/50 meets the same specs as the BMW oil, is available within a few blocks of my house, and is a lot less money. Royal Purple is the same way. IF (caps for emphasis) I felt the need to support my "local" dealer by purchasing dinosaur by-products from them, I'd buy my oil at the local Auto Zone and send my dealer a check for the difference. Any idea how hard it is to write this (send my dealer a check for the difference, like they have earned it) with a straight face?

I guess I'm too much of a greedy capitalist to spend money I don't need to where I don't need to. The dealership that relies on selling over-priced lubricants to make ends meet is a house of cards.

The good news is we both have the choice.

Loren
Hi Loren,

I really do understand how you feel and so that you will know exactly where I am coming from, I too am a greedy capitalist with libertarian leanings. I am a VERY strong supporter of free enterprise and one of my favorite books is, "Atlas Shrugged."

From an emotional point of view, I support this site even though I could remain anonymous and still get the technical benefit without paying. I choose to show my support, as you, by subscribing. I definitely get value here, but I don't have to!

My rational in supporting the dealer in a minimal way is to "show" some support and hope he is there, like insurance, when I may have a future need. Way too many BMW dealers are closing the doors and or are having to pick up different lines to stay in business. Buying my fluid changing supplies is not going to make a big difference, but it is my way of "voting." I do spend some time occasionally talking the the shop's techs and salespeople and want them to know that I am a customer and not just someone who takes and doesn't give.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #16 of 25 Old Nov 10th, 2009, 9:31 am

What? An oil thread and no one has mentioned Amsoil?

Live Slow... Fly Fast

Check out our
blog that chronicled our trip to Alaska and back.

<- The Boy
The Toys

2001 K1200LT-C that's been to the Alaskan Arctic Circle and back
2008 VRSCAWA H-D V-Rod with a few goodies
2005 VRSCA H-D V-Rod
1981 Mooney M20J

post #17 of 25 Old Nov 10th, 2009, 9:38 am

Welllll..... Not untl just now!

The worm can is now officially open!

Dang it Dan I ppromised my previous post would be the last for this thread. Just couldn't pass this one up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRodPete
What? An oil thread and no one has mentioned Amsoil?

WAK1200LT
Loren

post #18 of 25 Old Nov 11th, 2009, 10:04 pm

For 45 years I maintained vehicles for my family and saved tons of money...last year I bought a new LT and decided it was time to treat myself. So far this year I have put just shy of 18,000 miles on this wonderful machine. I schedule AM appointments at my dealer, and tell them which bike I want to test ride for the day. When I return, just before they close, I thank them...pay a lot of money (from what I saved) and enjoy getting back on my LT. I am glad they understand how to maintain this thing. Life is really really good. Gotta go fix the dishwasher...somethings leakin

Sure do like the 1300GT. Look forward to the S 1000 RR hitting the showroom floor !
post #19 of 25 Old Nov 12th, 2009, 6:55 am
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

In the past I have used nothing but Synthetic, true PAO synthetics, Amsoil, Mobile1, Royal Purple. If you are buying synthetic make sure it is a TRUE synthetic.

I no longer run it in my engine on the BMW. I use good old Dino Castrol 20-50W or 10-40W now in Fall/Winter.

Still use Amsoil in the FD 80-90W and 75-140 in the Tranny. I also add 1 TSP of strait Moly to the FD.

I change engine oil too often to use Synth as it is for extended drains. A waste of money. I do all my fluids every 3000 miles, and while a lot will say a waste, it makes me comfortable.

Filters I use Bosh from Rock Auto at 3.37 each.

These things do not care what flavor you use as long as it meets specs.

As far as dealer support I tried, no matter how hard you do, the Dealer is going to get you one way or another. In these economic times they are desperate and it makes them greedy. Not all I know, but can you really trust them?

Use a good oil in the motor, synth in the FD and Tranny. While 75-140 does work in the FD the Spec is 90 W I believe. So a quart of Amsoil 80-90 does the FD 4 times, and a 3/4 quart for the Tranny.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #20 of 25 Old Nov 12th, 2009, 8:11 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAF
In the past I have used nothing but Synthetic, true PAO synthetics, Amsoil, Mobile1, Royal Purple. If you are buying synthetic make sure it is a TRUE synthetic.
What is wrong with ester-base synthetics? You realize that ****** started with a diester product...

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #21 of 25 Old Nov 12th, 2009, 8:32 am

<Chant voice on>
I like Amsoil,
Yes I do,
I like Amsoil,
How about you?
<chant voice off>

My filters come from Beemer Boneyard. I order the 12k kit with plugs and air/oil filter.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #22 of 25 Old Nov 14th, 2009, 5:08 pm

I like to do my own maintenance and have a issue paying $300-$500 for an oil change (my 600 mile service is due) I found instruction on changing the oil look simple , Does anyone have instructions on changing the rear drive lube.

Any reason I should not attempt this it is a bran neew bike

Bikes

2009 K1200LT
2007 Ducati Multistrada DP ECU full Arrow
2005 Husqvarna TC250
1998 Harley Davidsion FLHRCIRoad King Classic (sold)
post #23 of 25 Old Nov 15th, 2009, 5:46 am

If you can get the top on and off your toothpaste tube, you can change your final drive oil. Even a college boy can do it.........................

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.
post #24 of 25 Old Nov 15th, 2009, 6:17 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEBMW
I like to do my own maintenance and have a issue paying $300-$500 for an oil change (my 600 mile service is due) I found instruction on changing the oil look simple , Does anyone have instructions on changing the rear drive lube.

Any reason I should not attempt this it is a bran neew bike
My 600 mile service was much less than this. I think I paid less than $200 and that included an extra filter I bought so I could do my own 3,000 mile oil change.

I generally do my own maintenance and light repairs also, but with a bike as expensive as the LT I don't want to give BMW any reason at all to hassle me if a warranty repair is needed. So, as long as the warranty is in force, I will have the dealer do the 6k, 12k, etc. services, although I am doing the intermediate oil changes. Once the warrany expires next June, I will start doing all of my own maintenance, probably including brake fluid flushes, but I am still debating that one item given the potential do mess up an expensive system.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #25 of 25 Old Nov 15th, 2009, 11:39 pm
Cat Herder

Garage
Lightbulb Re: Oil and Filter Recommendation

I use Redline oil for the motor and change it every 6000. I buy the BMW 75-140W for the final drive and the tranny. 1 quart does both.

BMW oil is made to their spec by Spectro Oil.
I am not a fan of Spectro oil because it sucks on bikes with a wet clutch.

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in