just wanted to update all of you who provided all those great ideas.
It worked! I finally can enjoy the rest of the weekend without having to worry whether I would have to use the cage for my daily commute for the next week
First of all, hats off for the advice to remove the oil pan. I even removed the lower right fairing for better access. Then made a quick run to my local Harbor Freight store and picked up an excellent tool "Locking Oil Filter Wrench" as you can see from the picture.
It's basically a vice grip with curved jaws to accommodate oil filters. Best $10 I have spent in a long time!
Once I positioned the wrench as far up as I could, I started to twist in the anticlockwise direction but nothing was happening. After cursing for another 5 minutes, I remembered that some of you had suggested to try to tighten it first in order to break the seal and then try to loose it. It worked. You can't imagine the relief as I was watching the filter slowly but surely coming off!
From now on, I'm not following anymore the torque specs of 11Nm. I just filled the filter with oil, rubbed some oil on the seal and just gave it a quarter turn by hand after the sealed first touched the plate.
I'm so paranoid now that I think I'll let my 4 year old daughter tighten the filter by hand from now on
Look at the attached pictures how much abuse that filter took and still didn't give up until I removed the oil pan and used that special wrench.
Thanks a lot guys, once again you are the best!
Another lesson I learned, if you find yourself so frustrated that you can't stop swearing, just call it a day and try to attack the problem the next morning with fresh energy.
This is supposed to be a 10 minutes job at most but it comes to show you that you can't mess with Murphy!
All the best,