Aiming headlight - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old Nov 5th, 2009, 9:13 pm Thread Starter

Aiming headlight

Ok, I searched the HoW but had no luck finding what I was looking for so I will ask here...
I just installed a new HID low beam kit, and now I need to know if there is a good/easy procedure for aiming the headlight on an '00 LT.
I have the manual, which says there should be a 10cm drop at 10m, but it looks like you need two people to do this as both tires need to be on the ground (one person holds the bike up while the other measures). Is there a way to do it on the center stand so I don't have to have help?

Also, should the measurements be taken from the center of the headlight and its' projection, or top and top, bottom and bottom?? The manual doesn't really give much help on this (it looks like a special tool might be used?)

I'm sure there is good info on this somewhere in here. I'm just not smart enough to find it!

Mark

2000 Canyon Red LTC purchased 7/09
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(dropped twice since I've owned it... once on each side for good measure!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)

2001 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic - Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old Nov 5th, 2009, 11:05 pm

Re: Aiming headlight

This is not the most scientific way, but it seems to work. I just go for a ride in town and make sure when I am a couple of car lengths behind the smaller sedans that the main top edge of the beam is just below the top edge of their trunk. This gives great reach out on the road and keeps everyone in front of you from being mad. I find if I go above this level then I will get flashed often. Below this level I have never been flashed.

Personally, I would HID the high beam also. The amount of light with both lights HID is awesome!! If flashing is important to you, install some aux halogens to flash with. I use some lightforce halogens to flash with if I feel the need.

John

2002 K1200LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in