Name:	img_1979.jpg
Views:	924
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	25212  

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
Contact me 4 motor training 1&1
Expert witness in motorcycle crash reconstruction (Contact me)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Nov 5th, 2009, 2:54 am

Re: Nice LT shot, by Killboy.com

Nice photo. Gotta love the horns!

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #3 of 9 Old Nov 5th, 2009, 6:44 am

Lightbulb Re: Nice LT shot, by Killboy.com

Nice Conspicuity Triangle.....

1100's for low beam aug

1400's for bad weather vis

I have run both and really like the 1400 IONS for their beam spread, road illumination, especially in bad weather/rain. I modified/replaced my old 1100RT front fender with an RS factory front, so I could run those lights when I first started the bracket stuff, a long time ago....!

Jim Lawson 2016 R1200RT
Retired to NC !

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 Old Nov 5th, 2009, 6:57 am

This setup is illegal in Alabama, and I suspect several other states, whereas no more than four "headlights" are allowed.

Jamie
'02 K1200LTC
'82 R100RT
post #5 of 9 Old Nov 5th, 2009, 9:04 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikebum
This setup is illegal in Alabama, and I suspect several other states, whereas no more than four "headlights" are allowed.
I suspect that law was "enacted" because of the "Mud trucks" with their rows of lights above the cab,

As long as you're not "blinding" others,
it doesn't make much sense to limit lighting on a motorcycle!

But then neither does putting "horns" on your helmet.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #6 of 9 Old Nov 5th, 2009, 9:26 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikebum
from the Alabama Code 32:

"
(b) Head lamps on motor vehicles.

(1) Every motor vehicle, other than a motorcycle or motor-driven cycle, shall be equipped with at least two but not more than four head lamps, with at least one but not more than two on each side of the front of the motor vehicle. The head lamps shall comply with the requirements and limitations of Section 32-5-242.

(2) Every motorcycle and every motor-driven cycle shall be equipped with at least one and not more than two head lamps which shall comply with the requirements and limitations of Section 32-5-242.

(3) Every head lamp upon every new motor vehicle sold after January 1, 1950, including every motorcycle and motor-driven cycle, shall be located at a height measured from the center of the head lamp of not more than 54 inches nor less than 24 inches to be measured as set forth in Section 32-5-242."

Looks like Gold wings with four headlights are also illegal here as well. But we have an "out" as these are auxillary lights.

Section 32-5-241

Additional permissible lights on vehicles.

(a) Spot lamps and auxiliary lamps.

(1) SPOT LAMPS. Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed one spot lamp and every lighted spot lamp shall be so aimed and used upon approaching another vehicle that no part of the high intensity portion of the beam will be directed to the left of the prolongation of the extreme left side of the vehicle nor more than 100 feet ahead of the vehicle.

(2) FOG LAMPS. Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed two fog lamps mounted on the front at a height not less than 12 inches nor more than 30 inches above the level surface upon which the vehicle stands and so aimed that when the vehicle is not loaded none of the high intensity portion of the light to the left of the center of the vehicle shall at a distance of 25 feet ahead project higher than a level of four inches below the level of the center of the lamp from which it comes.

(3) AUXILIARY PASSING LAMPS. Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed one auxiliary passing lamp mounted on the front at a height not less than 24 inches nor more than 42 inches above the level surface upon which the vehicle stands and every such auxiliary passing lamp shall meet the requirements and limitations set forth in this chapter.

(4) AUXILIARY DRIVING LAMPS. Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed one auxiliary driving lamp mounted on the front at a height not less than 16 inches nor more than 42 inches above the level surface upon which the vehicle stands and every auxiliary driving lamp shall meet the requirements and limitations set forth in this chapter.

Yes I am working on Law as a third career.

If you want some real fun just read

49 CFR Part 571
Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards;
Lamps, Reflective Devices, and Associated Equipment; Proposed Rules.

OMG

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

Last edited by jzeiler; Nov 5th, 2009 at 9:43 am.
post #7 of 9 Old Nov 5th, 2009, 7:14 pm

4 is max in NJ, too.

I have been "busted" during inspection for having more than 4 lamps on my truck. I had separate add-on driving and always-on fog lamps - so that when the inspector turned high beams on, the two headlights and all four add-ons lit up. I actually had a switch to disable the add-on lamps, but forgot to turn them off.

However, once they are off, I have no problems inspecting either cars or bikes. If asked: these are for off-road use.

I guess that I could be harassed on the road by police if all lights were lit, but the truck is since gone and I doubt that they will bother with the bike.

Now, a question to jzeiler: what are PASSING lamps?

Robert in Northern NJ

'09 R12GS, '08 R12RT, '03 R1150RT, '01 F650GS - time to thin the herd?

post #8 of 9 Old Nov 6th, 2009, 7:21 am

Don't you just love how visible those moto lights make you!

Greg

2000 k1200LT Basalt Grey (Roxie)
BMWMOA Number: 134717
I have a great doctor, if you can't afford the surgery, he'll touch up the xrays -- Henny Youngman

post #9 of 9 Old Jul 29th, 2010, 9:40 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpolakow
Don't you just love how visible those moto lights make you!
First things I put on the RT after I bought it.

And my WIFE bought them. She loved how conspicuos my last bike was with them, and when I sold the old RS with the lights, she bought the Motolights for the new bike.

2009 R1200RT Silver
2002 R1150RS Silver (SOLD!)
2003 JD 2305 Green and Yellow.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in