New personal best - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Nov 3rd, 2009, 10:28 pm Thread Starter

New personal best

Well tonight i broke a personal record for myself. I live in Northern NY, 50 miles south of Montral Que. From March 3 of this year to tonight, I rode the K1200LT every day to work. My shift starts at 1:30 pm to 10 pm 5 days a week. Ride to work in the daylight, back in the dark. Pulled in the garage tonight, was checking the bike out, seen canvas showing on the back tire, guess thats it until i get my new tires on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Nov 3rd, 2009, 11:40 pm

Re: New personal best

Very nice, congrats! What's the current mileage on the odo, must be good?

Robert in Northern NJ

'09 R12GS, '08 R12RT, '03 R1150RT, '01 F650GS - time to thin the herd?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 Old Nov 4th, 2009, 11:02 am

Way to go!. March to November is darned impressive for upstate NY. Lucky you. I cannot imagine the many s'miles you put on the LT this year..

Bil

wild bil
07 K1200LT Biarritz Blau
80 Yamaha XS850 Black - retired in 06

post #4 of 12 Old Nov 4th, 2009, 6:54 pm

Nice. Very impressive. How cold were you OK in, and how cold was painful but you did it anyway?

I'm a little further south on Long Island. I also commute every day, and I really try for 200 days a year. I don't ride in the snow. Did you? If so how did it go?

With my last bike, (Vstrom), I was good with the tall windshield down to about 25F. With the LT I feel like a wuss with heated grips and a butt warmer and an adjustable windshield, but I'll try and manage.

I am shooting for a low temp of 10F and still be able to take my helmet off myself and feel my fingers.

Riding a motorcycle because I want the best gas mileage without feeling like a dork in a little economy car I would need a can opener to get 6'3" 275 in and out of. The bike is not a sport, not a hobby, it is my main mode of transportation. Great to know one more of us out there.

Bob Pond
2009 K1200LT
potius sero quam nunquam
post #5 of 12 Old Nov 4th, 2009, 7:46 pm

Don't know how you do it in those temps. I hear it gets pretty cold in NY.
I used to commute all year round here, but I had no choice - only had a bike! On top of that, I lived just over 100 miles from work (used to stay over every other shift though). Put 100k on my ST1100 in a very short space of time!
I work from home now - boy do I miss it

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 12 Old Nov 4th, 2009, 9:25 pm Thread Starter

The LT is an 05 and i just turned alittle over 51000 miles. I have rode in temp down as far as 12 degrees. I dont think i want to go any lower. Chuck
post #7 of 12 Old Nov 4th, 2009, 10:15 pm

Way to go

Alain

Vieux motard que jamais
post #8 of 12 Old Nov 6th, 2009, 12:07 pm

Upstate's a piece of cake.

I still ride every day - the bike's outside my window as I type this.

Gerbings...accept no substitute!!!

'06 K1200LT Ocean Blue Metallic
'06 GL1800 Candy Black Cherry
Recovering Harley Rider

42° 41.663' N / 73° 38.651' W

post #9 of 12 Old Nov 6th, 2009, 12:30 pm

Talking Re: New personal best

Maine here.
yup, i ride 9 months + a year (as long as there is no ice!). i have already ridden in some snow 'showers" this year. (no road accumulation, but a couple of inches on the grassy surfaces... )

my '05, which was totalled in may of this year had 72,000 miles on it. and i rode it at least one day every month for 3 of the years that I owned it.

My '09, which I picked up on June 3rd of this year, has just over 7,000 miles on it. the snow showers aren't too bad, as long as the ground isn't frozen. once the hard freeze sets in, I am very careful when I put it on the road. last year, I had the bike out the first week of March, and had parked it after Thanksgiving.

My daily commute is just over 110 miles, and I have done as low as 8 degrees. That is just beyond my limit (NOW!!)

I also did hit freezing rain one morning on the way to work on the '05, and had to drive in the right hand tire track for over 20 miles (10 miles beyond my exit). I could not break out of the slush and ice on either side of the beat down track.

man, what a pucker factor!

I envy you southern riders (NOT!) i have taken the LT to Sugarloaf (www.sugarloaf.com) to downhill ski before. now that did turn plenty of heads!

P.S. I rented equipment that day!

Mark Conlogue
MCSE, MCT
CEH (Certified Ethical Hacker)
CBCP

I take Life with a grain of salt......and a slice of lime and a shot of Tequila

20 grand & 2K miles don't make you a biker

I COULD TELL THEY WERE BIKERS,
IT SAID "LIVE TO RIDE" ON THEIR TRAILER
post #10 of 12 Old Nov 8th, 2009, 8:07 pm

I started riding in Feb. here. I have no plans on stopping soon, unless the roads start to freeze. It was 5F early last winter when I started riding. I just bought a new riding jacket by Tourmaster. I think it is called the transition. I like it alot.

Mike
In the frozen tundra
2003 Impala Brown LT

2001 Suzuki RM250
2000 FZR1000
1984 Honda Sabre
1984 KDX 200
post #11 of 12 Old Nov 8th, 2009, 8:17 pm

365 days a year riding here in north Fla...but the scenery sucks. Gotta take the good with the bad i guess.
post #12 of 12 Old Nov 8th, 2009, 8:34 pm
jsb

I'd hate to have to put the bike up for the winter, that would be a sad day. My wife and I rode out to East Texas yesterday, temp was about 60 and cloudy when we started, then turned into a glorious sunny day with a high right at 80. Rode 250 miles for the day, had a great lunch in Tyler, got back to Dallas in time for dinner. Still getting used to the (new to me) LT, but am loving it. Rode my '93 K75 all last winter, my low limit is 30, mostly because people leave their sprinkler systems running all winter here, and it's a little scary to find a patch of ice on the ride.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in