'05 Hydraulic centrestand details - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Jan 31st, 2006, 2:47 pm Thread Starter

'05 Hydraulic centrestand details

G'day all

Well, my back has gone walkabout again and I haven't been able to ride the bike since early December last year (Our summer here ATM). As the LT is a fairly heavy bike to get up onto the c/stand, I'm seriously considering either locating a hydraulic unit from an 05 LT or fabricating my own set up. Any 05 owners out there who could very kindly e-mail piccies of the stand set up or the page(s) out of the manual showing the layout please?

Or should I maybe read the previous posts in the HoW on lifting the bike up onto the c/stand easily ?

TIA peeps

Regards

Big Dog
'04 K1200LT
Ulysses #33984
Cogito Ergo Sum: I think, therefore I am.
What am I?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Jan 31st, 2006, 2:52 pm

Someone reported, in the past couple of weeks, that the new centerstand can be mounted on the pre-05 bikes. You just have to pay the price for all the parts.

Vince Weidig
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 LT - LandyachT
2005 Ural Patrol
2003 Artic Cat ATV - Horse
Bayliner Cutty Cabin - Anytime
Airstream B190 -
post #3 of 8 Old Jan 31st, 2006, 9:23 pm
cws

Garage
Hi Big Dog.
Im up Central Coast on & off, if fact TYC is in for its 10,000km next Tuesday morning at Worthingtons.
Happy to have you inspect the lift mechanism andn take piccies if we can co-ordinate.
I just need to get back to work in Sydney in time in the afternoon...
cheers

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #4 of 8 Old Feb 1st, 2006, 3:25 am Thread Starter

Thumbs up Thanks

Thanks Vince for your reply. That was the post I read earlier which inspired me to do something. If I have to fabricate something up (I'm a boilermaker welder by trade) that's no big deal. Sparks, heat, bright lights, grunt, grunt, grunt..... . Need to make lifting of the bike up a bit easier, my back needs all the help it can get. The older I get, the longer it seems to take to heal up .

Thank you too Chris. I work at the Shell Refinery in Clyde (behind Rosehill race course) and I knock off around 4.30 PM. Is this too late to catch up with you? I'd be interested in seeing the c/stand up close to get an idea. As the day draws nearer, I can PM you to confirm if you like.

Thanks again all and ride safe.

Regards

Big Dog
'04 K1200LT
Ulysses #33984
What am I?

post #5 of 8 Old Feb 1st, 2006, 10:00 pm

Thumbs up Centerstand conversion

Hi - I have installed new centerstand from '05 onto my '02. The parts are direct bolt-ons, I even reused original bolts. Then I went to local auto parts store and bought two switches. I installed one on right handlebar and the other one under the seat below heated seat switch. I wired it directly to battery (with a fuse, also from auto parts store).

I have been using it for a while now. It is truly great! I am yet to use the sidestand (it is also from '05 because it mounts to the same subframe as centerstand and came with it). I love this setup. Last Saturday a group of us (about 50-60 bikes) went for a ride. I sure drew a crowd around my bike when stopped - I guess it is much fun watching it go on centerstand like that!

Some pointers:

- I bought the whole setup on Ebay from a guy who triked his brand new LT and didn't need the centerstand anymore. I paid $750 for it. I also paid about extra $12 for 2 switches and an inline fuse (my friend gave me all the wire I needed).

- Standard '05 LT also has some sensors to prevent centerstand deployment when in gear, on unlevel ground, etc. I did not install any of them. This would be a lot more expensive and maybe even impossible. My solution is two switches - the one on handlebar won't work unless the safety one under the seat is turned on first. I also carefully placed the safety switch so I don't think I can accidentally turn it on - it is well hidden under the seat. Also, I am only going to use centerstand on level ground - just as I would with the regular centerstand I had on before. Otherwise, I'd park it on sidestand and leave it in first gear. In case it feels wobbly when deploying the centerstand, the mechanism is such that centerstand will be pulled up immediately if I stop pressing the switch. So, I feel confident about operating it.

- The actual mounting of new centerstand was very easy - it is a simple matter of taking old one off and bolting new one in it's place. However, it is a two man job. Also, the hardest thing for me was to position the bike so we can access the area underneath and have enough space to work on it. We ended up using transmission jack around front forks - we angled the front of bike upwards while the rear wheel was resting on the ground.

- The longest part of the job (it took me one day) was to do the proper wiring. I had to take the fairing off (side and bottom) as well as running new wires under handlebar covers. It wasn't hard, just time consuming.

- I used 30 gauge wires. It must be wired directly to battery for power. I first tried to tie it into my auxilliary lights, but that did not produce enough amps. The motor is power hungry. I also did it like that in order to use centerstand without having the key in the bike. That just works for me.

- Both of my switches have tiny led's in them, so I can tell if I left them on (especially the safety switch).

- If the bike is on centerstand and you still press the button to activate it, nothing happens - all you hear is the motor and it changes sound. This change in sound is how I know the centerstand is fully deployed and I can turn the switch off.

- You should also know that I'm not a mechanic or anything similar to it. So if I can do it, anyone pretty much can! But you should get a friend to help you.

That's all it cames to mind right now. It is in my opinion the single greatest upgrade to pre-'05 LT's and I simply love it! Well worth the price.

Sincerely,

Dan Jolich
Aiken, SC
2002 Black Custom K1200LT

Last edited by Dejan; Feb 1st, 2006 at 10:10 pm.
post #6 of 8 Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 1:17 am Thread Starter

Thumbs up Thanks Dan!

For the info mate. I have already put your previous notes and picture into a word document on my PC. Can anyone say copyright?

I have been trolling e-Bay here in Oz but unfortunately, the centrestands are rare as rocking horse poo. No one has dropped, wrecked or triked AFAIK an '05 yet (not that I would wish dropping an LT on anyone)That's why I thought if I could see one in the flesh and work out exactly how they went together and what was involved in building one myself.

What you have just posted makes for interesting reading. Thanks again and ride safe.

Regards

Big Dog
'04 K1200LT
Ulysses #33984
What am I?

post #7 of 8 Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 10:37 am

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejan
----- I used 30 gauge wires. It must be wired directly to battery for power. Dan Jolich
Aiken, SC
2002 Black Custom K1200LT
This has to be a typo! I would have used 16 GA. wire for any control/relay wiring, but the power wiring (anything between the battery and motor) I would imagine would require at minimum 10 GA., maybe even 8 GA. depending on the current draw of the pump motor.

I have never looked at the factory system, but can absolutely guarantee nothing on the bike uses 30 GA wire! Well, maybe the headphone wires inside the helmet. Even that is probably 26-24 GA.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #8 of 8 Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 8:41 pm

Red face Oops!

I'm sure you're right and I'm wrong. I'm not an electrician - what I did use is a 30 amp fuse for the setup, so somehow I confused that with a wire gauge. All I know is that wires I used were pretty thick - looks like the same thickness as wires coming out of the harness from the centerstand. So, if anyone wants to do the same installation just use the same thickness wire as the ones on the centerstand assembly itself.

Dan Jolich
Aiken, SC

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in