What Would You Do? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 61 Old Jan 31st, 2006, 2:44 pm Thread Starter

What Would You Do?

I talked to Hank at Rhinewest today and the parts cost are starting to move into totalled range. Well, seeings how age and mileage only make her worth 4 grand. Hell, the farkles are worth more than the bike.

We're talking brackets in the nose cone, front master cylinder and lines, main right front panel, lower, handlebar, nose cone top shield, windshield motor assembly, lower right panel, rear brake pedal, air wing on top cone, adjustable air wing, right saddle bag, tip over wing and assemblies and other odds and ends.

I'm purdy sure they'll total her.

I'm thinking of buying her back (if and prolly when), the title won't be a salvage title, and fixing her.

What would you do? Y'all have seen the pix in my down, down, down post.
She's structurally sound, runs like a scalded ass ape. She's been paid for for a long time.

Would you buy an 06? Used?

I'm so confused. Also, a leetle whanged. I think I overdid it yesterday when Dick and I went to get her.

I also want to give Dick my utmost and profound thanks for all the help and for burning a day.

I can handle the physical pain, but now entering the region of emotional as a lady I've had a long running affair with may no longer be a pivotal point of my life.

What would y'all do?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 Old Jan 31st, 2006, 3:08 pm
fas

Cool go new

Life's short Grif. Go new. You deserve it.

Rob Nelson

2006 K1200GT [now lives in Wisconsin]
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC [now lives in Georgia]
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.
post #3 of 61 Old Jan 31st, 2006, 3:09 pm

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
I talked to Hank at Rhinewest today and the parts cost are starting to move into totalled range. Well, seeings how age and mileage only make her worth 4 grand. Hell, the farkles are worth more than the bike.

We're talking brackets in the nose cone, front master cylinder and lines, main right front panel, lower, handlebar, nose cone top shield, windshield motor assembly, lower right panel, rear brake pedal, air wing on top cone, adjustable air wing, right saddle bag, tip over wing and assemblies and other odds and ends.

I'm thinking of buying her back (if and prolly when), the title won't be a salvage title, and fixing her.

What would you do? Y'all have seen the pix in my down, down, down post.
She's structurally sound, runs like a scalded ass ape. She's been paid for for a long time.

Would you buy an 06? Used?

I'm so confused. Also, a leetle whanged. I think I overdid it yesterday when Dick and I went to get her.

I also want to give Dick my utmost and profound thanks for all the help and for burning a day.

I can handle the physical pain, but now entering the region of emotional as a lady I've had a long running affair with may no longer be a pivotal point of my life.

What would y'all do?
One of the best things about these 'ladies' is you can trade them in for younger faster models without any retribution (we all know what I mean). Get your farkles off the old girl, put them on a new/uesd '05 or '06 and enjoy the extra HP and center stand. The big guy upstairs is telling you to upgrade.

Joe Buttress
Plain Washington
2003 LTE
IBA SS

post #4 of 61 Old Jan 31st, 2006, 3:10 pm

I would take the settlement and buy her back, with-out a doubt! If it did turn out to be a salvage job and I couldn't "put her back on the road" I would purchase another used one and be very happy to have a complete parts bike that I knew was well cared for. Can you imagine having a spare motor, tranny, rear-end, wheels, stereo, etc etc. Shit- I would be in heaven!
Maybe something good will come from your mis-fortune.
post #5 of 61 Old Jan 31st, 2006, 3:11 pm
Bouncer

Get the '06. You already put in the "pain and effort", so you might as well go new.

But I still might keep the old gal and part her out. Man, that sounds so bad.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
post #6 of 61 Old Jan 31st, 2006, 3:11 pm

I'd buy her back and fix her up nice and slow, taking my time and git r dun right.
So If I was to fix my old sweetheart up right and it was going to take some time - I'd buy a new and have two.....

John & Cathy
Northern CA
01 K1200LTC Basalt - Moose

Posse #2

If you don't know where you're going, you might end up somewhere else
post #7 of 61 Old Jan 31st, 2006, 3:18 pm

Cool

Griff: I would do both if possible. Rebuild her or use her for parts for another. I have thought of buying a wrecked bike just for parts.

first of all is dont get in a hurry, it will come to you and your decision will have no regrets.

NOGILLS2

Booze Brother# 69
2003 K1200LTE "BEERBURNER" RIP 07/21/09
2006 Aluma Trailer "AFTERBURNER" SOLD
2007 ST1300ABS "Quicksilver"

post #8 of 61 Old Jan 31st, 2006, 3:27 pm

Grif,

Over the past year I have very often wished I had bought back Bat Byke, and it suffered FAR worse damage in it's 80 MPH tumble down I-8.

I could have fixed it back up over time and probably had it running months ago.

I also wonder if I would have run into something that made that scenario more costly than feasable. The one thing that stopped me from pursuing if further is that I did not know exactly where the bike was (somewhere in Phoenix) and was worried about the frame tabs. Would have cost me about $1800 to buy back, so almost wish I had done it. If the frame tabs had been broken, I would have just welded them back.

Damn I miss that bike!

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #9 of 61 Old Jan 31st, 2006, 3:30 pm

No question in my mind.

I'd bid a tearful farewell (and I'm serious about the tear--I've gotten pretty attached to "inanimate" objects at times, too) -- and then move on to a low miles '05 and start a wonderful new relationship.

The problem with the salvage buy-back/repair is, no matter how "perfect" you rebuild her, you will _always_ have a nagging doubt in the back of your head as to whether she's really "right." Every strange vibration, every odd noise, every little "squirm" in a corner will cause you to question, if only for an instant, whether it was caused by the accident. You'll never be "at peace" on her, and it will detract immensely from your enjoyment of riding. The old "death by a thousand cuts" theory.

Barbara was a special lady; you (and many of the rest of us) will remember her with extraordinary fondness. Time to grieve, let go, and start anew.

Feelin' deeply for ya, man.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #10 of 61 Old Jan 31st, 2006, 3:38 pm

Even with plastic surgery Barbara will never be the same again...
And it will take time, patience, and you will most likely go over budget trying to fix her...
I know it's tough to get back into bike payments but maybe it was time...
Whether or not to buy it back from the insurance depends on how much garage space you have to spare... and on how realistic it is to try to fix her. Keeping her for spare? Nice concept, but usually you end up only using very few parts and are left with a carcass and parts that friends, not you, may need in the future. And if you buy an 05-06 some parts may not be interchangeable. Find out how much the insurance will sell her for.
If Barbara were a woman and dumped you, would you keep her in your garage and work on her instead or riding your new bride (05-06 model)???
Decisions... decisions!!!.
Glad you are OK from that nasty mishap though...!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #11 of 61 Old Jan 31st, 2006, 4:00 pm

Thumbs up Life is too short, so do what is best for you

But there are some great deals on new 05's in some of the BMW dealerships. I stopped by my BMW dealer just before the holidays to schedule my 24,000 maintainance, clutch and brake system flush. About a $1000 dollars worth of service. I had a perfect running 03 LTE setup the way I wanted it with no intent on upgrading. Left the dealership with a new fully loaded 05 that was a really sweet deal. Only needed the Nav II and BMW Communication system and I got those at dealer cost. I also had them install my Ohlins that were rebuilt during the switch and my passenger floorboards. The additional horsepower and power centerstand are nice additions to an already great ride. Felt like I was saying bye to an old friend who never let me down. But I have absolutely no regrets and really glad I did it. Life is too short to have regrets, do what's best for you and enjoy the decision you make.

If you can cut a good deal on your totaled LT you may be able to part it out and recover your cost +plus. Just my opinion!

May we never find the end of the road!

Perry Ridgway

oknplm
post #12 of 61 Old Jan 31st, 2006, 4:08 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Smile Got the time?

Gee Grif,

If I had the time I would buy her back and fix her up and ride her one more year and sell her. I would test her out in that year and after answering all those "nagging questions" I would let her be someone else's affair, and I would'nt have to be wondering if she'll be lettin' myself or anyone else down. Just a little bit of time, and my .02.

You'll do what's right.

E

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR
Member: MOA, AMA, IBA, NRA, MERA
GS911 & GS911 Wifi - Diagnostics Tools Available
2012 K16GTL (3/2018 to present) 68k (Totaled! 8/11/19 Deer strike)

2013 R1200GSW
> 28k miles!
2002 K12LT Toscana Green - > 241k miles (Sold)
2006 Suzuki DL1000 V Strom Silver/Blk - >21k (Sold)
SS1K (x4),BB,BtoB(<24),BBG, SS3k

post #13 of 61 Old Jan 31st, 2006, 4:34 pm

I'm on my third LT since Aug. '01. My 1st '01 Pacific Blue had 46k when totaled. After 7 months, bought my second '00 Champagne and am now selling it with 56k miles. My third LT is Raffy's farkelized '04 in Night Black which I have owned since November. All were/are great bikes and have their own person-alities. Or maybe it's farkle-alities.
Get something new for you Grif. You deserve it. Keep your old LT too. You can probably get your money back in time and still help friends with parts when needed. Have your cake and eat it too.

I'm happy to here that you are able to consider getting a new LT so soon after the accident. You're doing better than many of us on this list that have totaled their LT's in the last few years. Look at it as a positive sign. And that your years of experience made it possible.

Roger
BMW R1100RT '00
HumpDayDinnerClub

post #14 of 61 Old Jan 31st, 2006, 4:37 pm

my opinion: crashed bikes and crash cars are never quite the same. i'd look for a clean '03 or later.
post #15 of 61 Old Jan 31st, 2006, 4:55 pm

No brainer, get a newer bike...

-
05' K1200 LT - BMW MOA Member
05 CCR Survivor
- Team-N-Training
post #16 of 61 Old Jan 31st, 2006, 5:00 pm
RMW

What to do?

Better to remember her in her prime fondly than to go forward tentatively on her resurrected remains.

A bold new lass to charge headlong into the future with. Way I see it anyway.

Ron Wilkerson
05 LT
07 KLR
09 GSA
post #17 of 61 Old Jan 31st, 2006, 5:08 pm

Buy an new one or one of the many '05s with low mileage, transfer the farkle that I want, sell the rest IMHO. I bought the '02 because I planned on keeping my Sprint and only riding the LT when I went with Cindy. But if it was my main ride I would want it young and fresh with all of the latest bells and whistles (that sounds harsh, but it is true ). How long would you be without a ride with all of this great Texas weather?

--Bo
2013 Magma Red R1200GSA
2012 Candy Apple Red R1200R
2007 (2006 Blue Panels) R1200GS (RIP Poteau, OK)
2006 Graphite K1200GT (sold)
2002 Titan Silver LT (sold)

Don't Panic!
Achtung! böse Eichhörnchen!
post #18 of 61 Old Jan 31st, 2006, 6:01 pm
Rider Journeyman

Hmmm..

Howdy Grif.

From your first post and this latest one, Barbara doesn't sound too bad. All cosmetic and non-structural... expensive new, not too bad used.

If I was spending the money of the other people who responded, then I'd go new. If I was spending yours or my money, I'd negotiate with the insurance agent up the market value and to lower the "buy back" price to increase my check.

Then I'd buy all the used replacement parts I needed. Then have a BIG 'OL TEXAS TECH SESSION (not football, you idiots )

Ride her until the revised model comes out, then sell her.

Less of course, your loaded with cash, then buy a '06 and ride

Bill "Omaha"

"Life may have begun at 44, but it didn't get thrilling until I shot past 100"

'04 K1200LT "Dieter" Titan Silver, FB 4/23/04
'06 K1200R "Wolfgang" White Aluminum Metallic, FB 6/7/05

RCB AMA, BMWMOA, Booze Brother "in training"
CCR: '04 Breckenridge CO, '05 Jackson Lake Lodge WY, '06 Chateau Elan GA, '08 Midway UT

Last edited by BillyOmaha; Jan 31st, 2006 at 6:37 pm.
post #19 of 61 Old Jan 31st, 2006, 6:23 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyOmaha
Howdy Grif.

Ride her until the revised model comes out, then sell her.

Less of course, your loaded with cash, then buy a '06 and ride

I'm loaded with something much akin to what comes out the south end of a north moving male bovine

I'm really leaning that way, mucho fond of that bike, we've been around together and she still has lotsa spunk.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #20 of 61 Old Jan 31st, 2006, 6:32 pm

Quote:

What would y'all do?
If I may humbly suggest, it's time to move on. She's just an inanimate object.
HOWEVER, the experience you have gained because of this "object" is what you take with you. That, the friends, and the memories.

Good Luck my friend!

Duane

Check the obvious first!
01 LT Champagne "The Starship"
73 Z1 Kawi
and 7 long gone
post #21 of 61 Old Jan 31st, 2006, 6:33 pm

follow your bliss, child ...
post #22 of 61 Old Jan 31st, 2006, 9:01 pm
Super Moderator

I know how much you love her, but it's probably time to let her go and get a new one. With that kind of damage once they get into it they'll come across another few things, or if you buy it back you'll have to find them all and deal with them yourself. Considering most of not all of the farkles you have on her will transfer over to a new one you're starting ahead of the game. And you'll get the benefit of all the new-fangled bits on the 06 - more power, no rear end failure, etc. Also, you deserve it!

One thing I will HIGHLY recommend - if you have the BC3 (J&M Comm System) take it off Barb and put it on the new one. The VOICE II system will leave you sorely disappointed in both sound quality, ease of use, and flexibility if you've been using the J&M unit.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #23 of 61 Old Jan 31st, 2006, 9:51 pm

2 scenarios; one mind

Quote:
I
What would y'all do?
You know better than anyone here what is involved in the relationship between man and machine. It is with a sense of commitment that you are faced with a decision that only you will make.

I.) Buy her back and decide if she's worth being necrophiliac over, seriously. Because if not, the sum of the parts is worth more than the whole, ( never - the - less ) buy her back. You know this if you are rational about it. That being said, depending on the decision you make, you can rebuild and, if not damaged in a structural way, pickup where you left off. Of that, going by what you say it takes, I am sure. Put the 100K on her, opt for the new ( if the new generation is out ) or retro, i.e. used, and let her run.

II.) Buy her back, part her out ( scenario I) and buy new today ( or lo mile used '03 -05 ) because you know that the new gen's are going to be special if they fit your criteria. If however they ( new gen ) do not fit your criteria due to two up and comfort restraints, then either way, referb on BahBah or new / used low mile, you are set for the next 2 - 4 years, plus you still have a tried and true farkle platform that says "Grif ", plus a legion of fans. This also allows for the gremlins to get worked out of the new platform w/o denying you the pleasure of the pursuit.

Grif, it is a personal decision that must satisfy you. There is a third scenario, but not one that I, in your place could envisage; "do nothing for a while".Pick one of the above scenarios that allow you the hands on, at minimal cost, in maintaining the relationship between man and machine.

Looking forward to what you decide.

Jon Bush
' 09 RT
"SAPHIRE"
post #24 of 61 Old Jan 31st, 2006, 10:01 pm

Grif, I think that most insurance companies have to by law mark title as "salvage" If so its worth nothing on the market... Go look at a new one, sit on it and think about it..........Regards Pete
post #25 of 61 Old Jan 31st, 2006, 11:25 pm

Unhappy Rest in peace.

Grif,

I too love my toys, but finally sold my 1990 Supercharged Miata, which I highly modified with mucho racing stuff. Never-the-less she was gettin' old with 90K on her and I was afraid she give up the ghost. I would then have a pile on expensive parts for a 1990 Miata. I bought a new 2004 MazdaSpeed MX5, factory turbocharge with full racing everything done by the Mazda racing division, all under factory warranty (only 1000 produced that year in grey). Now can redline her without fear of sumptin a blowin' up.. I still remember and look at the pictures on my 1990, but the 2004 runs like a bat out of hell.

I'd buy a low mileage 2005 or 2006 and let someone else take the initial hit on the depreciation. Ifin' you got money to burn, I'd a new 2006 tricked out with factory GPS, etc., then add the farkles you don't get on the new one, off of Barbara. She was a pretty and loyal ole gal and she served you well. It's time to put her to rest in motorcycle heaven.

Dick Wood
2014 R1200RTW Quartz Blue Metallic
Previous2008 Aventurin Silver Metallic K1200GT
Previous 2002 Toscana Green LTE
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

post #26 of 61 Old Feb 1st, 2006, 12:01 am

fix at thang Mine wuz bout that bad cant evn tell she went down
post #27 of 61 Old Feb 1st, 2006, 1:20 am

Quote:
What would y'all do?

Hey Grif

Real damn sorry to hear about the unplanned get-off

As to what “I” would do… not being a “love them and leave them” kind of guy I’d fix her as long as I could keep the cost reasonable. And from what seen used parts are not that difficult to find.

Sometimes it’s true what “they” say, it’s cheaper to keep her!!!!

Take care,

Tom
1999, Sweetheart
I live in my own little world, but it’s okay they know me here
post #28 of 61 Old Feb 1st, 2006, 7:23 am

Do you want to....

spend time wrenching or riding?

What would I do?

Got shop/garage space, got tools, got time, like wrenching?:
I'd shop around for a low mileage bike same vintage as your wrecked bike; bet you can find a good cheap one. I'd buy the wreck back and I'd rebuild the bike you love. You'll have a trove of spare parts and you can part out stuff you don't need on eBay.

If you don't have time or desire for such a project, forget the bike and just replace it.

On the other hand there is no effective measure on sentimentality:

"It's a fool whole looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart."

"Gopher, Everett?"
post #29 of 61 Old Feb 1st, 2006, 10:17 am

Griff, do not rush to make a discission. Take a little time. Let the emotions come down a bit and then (at least for me) the deciding factor is the almighty dollar. I do not like to owe other people and sometimes have to wait to get something I want. But that my friend is a personal thing and I thing it best to find ALL the options first.
Take your time to decide.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #30 of 61 Old Feb 1st, 2006, 10:31 am

Grif,

Glad you were not hurt badly by the wreck.. It is easy to get emotional about your bike. Part of it is feeling guilty inside about what happened. But, the bike is not a person. It is an inanimate object as great as they are. I can understand the emptiness that you feel not having her. You are not breaking any moral laws by replacing her.

This would be a great opportunity to discover absolutely which model year you like the best. Take your time and find the right bike for you.

As for the old bike, I would let it go. The fact is, it will probably never be right no matter how great a job you do repairing it (if you can).
Then, if you unload it on someone else, there is always that nagging feeling that you didn't do someone else right and instead of making a new friend, you have the potential of having hard feelings develop. It just isn't worth it.

Go find your new (for you) bike !!!

Good Luck
post #31 of 61 Old Feb 1st, 2006, 1:49 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Fear not, Grif, I've found your solution. I know where you can get a prime '06 BMW, all tricked out and full of farkles, at a great price.

I figure Raffy ought to be tired of his current ride by now, and so you can pick it up for a song. Only lightly used for local HDDC rides and church gatherings. Such a steal.

If not Raffy, then I'm sure one of the other HDDC guys has just / is about to / really wants to trade up, so you should have plenty of options to choose from. Heck, most of them will even deliver, if you ask nicely.

Now wasn't that easy?

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #32 of 61 Old Feb 1st, 2006, 3:09 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Ya, a solution for sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Fear not, Grif, I've found your solution. I know where you can get a prime '06 BMW, all tricked out and full of farkles, at a great price.

I figure Raffy ought to be tired of his current ride by now, and so you can pick it up for a song. Only lightly used for local HDDC rides and church gatherings. Such a steal.

If not Raffy, then I'm sure one of the other HDDC guys has just / is about to / really wants to trade up, so you should have plenty of options to choose from. Heck, most of them will even deliver, if you ask nicely.

Now wasn't that easy?
Ken,

Wasn't that some dirt on John's new GS? I bet it is available for a good price 'bout now. Just a wash-n-wax and Grif is in business dodgin' Armadillo's.

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR
Member: MOA, AMA, IBA, NRA, MERA
GS911 & GS911 Wifi - Diagnostics Tools Available
2012 K16GTL (3/2018 to present) 68k (Totaled! 8/11/19 Deer strike)

2013 R1200GSW
> 28k miles!
2002 K12LT Toscana Green - > 241k miles (Sold)
2006 Suzuki DL1000 V Strom Silver/Blk - >21k (Sold)
SS1K (x4),BB,BtoB(<24),BBG, SS3k

post #33 of 61 Old Feb 1st, 2006, 3:14 pm

Quote:
What would y'all do?
I can understand the emotional attachment to a fine bike. I felt the pain when my KaTe was a goner. That bike was pivotal in my life, too, but I realized that the message for me was that it was a material attachment, and not all that important in the grand scheme. I asked about buying her back from the insurance co. and the price was about $3500.00. If it has been a G then I'd a done it, but for that price it would have taken a while to get my money back and see a profit. I decided to move on. Now Ella is my new gal, and we're off to the races!

Blessings!
munson+

The Rev. John Munson
Vicar,
, Burkburnett, Texas
Vicar,
, Wichita Falls, Texas
2007 R1200RT "REV ZM"
IRON BUTT ASSOC. #37813
See my video:
post #34 of 61 Old Feb 1st, 2006, 4:10 pm

Interim solution

Lonestar BMW in Austin has a 99 Lt. You can pickup for right at 7k. Ride it until the new Lt. bad boy comes out and sell her for what you have in it. Or is it all rumor about the new Lt. Glad to hear you are doing well.

Doc
post #35 of 61 Old Feb 1st, 2006, 7:13 pm Thread Starter

OK, I've made a decision. Besides the handlebar being wasted, the right engine guard/tipover wing and rear brake pedal all the damage is cosmetic. So, I'm gonna keep her. I told her that today and her heart beat a happy tune. Since the front master cylinder is toast she is going to get some nice, new, steel braided brake lines.

So, the money part is now all up to Markel and I won't have a bike payment.

-=grif=-

Grok
post #36 of 61 Old Feb 1st, 2006, 7:34 pm

You gonna git a new handlebar set from the insurance proceeds, or could I run that set in my storage unit down to Hank?

And tell me again - which side needs the new mirror glass? I've got a loose glass and the mounting ring, butt I can't remember which side it is, nor which side you need.

Glad you've got a wrap on the keep/let loose situation. Can Hank start any work, other than givin' Barbara a good bath? Or does he have to wait on Markel?

Yelp if you need me - I've hid my honey-do list and forgot where 'tis!!!
post #37 of 61 Old Feb 1st, 2006, 8:19 pm Thread Starter

Edgear brought the handlebar by Rhinewest and we all went and had some lunchies.

Hank is starting as I'm personally guaranteeing. Now, the ball is in Les' court, sigh.

-=grif=-

Grok
post #38 of 61 Old Feb 1st, 2006, 10:07 pm

Smile Windshield

Grif,

I don't know what all you need but I have an OEM windshield from an '03 I will give you. I am not too far away and will deliver.
post #39 of 61 Old Feb 1st, 2006, 10:12 pm Thread Starter

Thanks man, but have a Cee Bailey's on order.

I think what I'm really doing here is gambling. Throwing the dice. If the insurance company doesn't total her, I'm out 255 bones deductible. If they total her, rough guestimate is out of pocket 2 grand. Still beats a bike payment and I really love barbara.

-=grif=-

Grok
post #40 of 61 Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 12:45 am

Cool

Griff I am glad you made a decision. If you need anything yell and I'll come running. I'll be off from Feb 7 through March 7 or so.

NOGILLS2

Booze Brother# 69
2003 K1200LTE "BEERBURNER" RIP 07/21/09
2006 Aluma Trailer "AFTERBURNER" SOLD
2007 ST1300ABS "Quicksilver"

post #41 of 61 Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 1:01 am
Super Moderator

Glad to hear you made a decision, but I should have asked this earlier. Did you pull the side fairings to make sure none of the frame tabs that hold the tipover wings are broken of the main frame spars? If they are you may want to reconsider; it's hard to find anyone willing to weld those back on. I understand it may be difficult as well due to how the frame is cast.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #42 of 61 Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 8:17 am Thread Starter

No breakage of tabs, the only structural damage was the tipover/engine guard on the right side is twanged.

-=grif=-

Grok
post #43 of 61 Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 11:30 am

Grif, I am not much of a fix-it kinda guy but what can I do to help?

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #44 of 61 Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 12:00 pm Thread Starter

Man, it's an absolutely gorgeous day, I pushed it too hard again yesterday and laying in bed.

Come get me and let's go get in trouble!!!!!!

-=grif=-

Grok
post #45 of 61 Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 3:57 pm

check out this LT

ebay item #4608341346. Infamous owner.
post #46 of 61 Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 4:02 pm

Did I see bite marks on the right mirror housing?

Dave
Monkton, MD
and Pawleys Island, SC
2002 K1200LTC
post #47 of 61 Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 9:03 pm

Okay, here's your frist offer

From the picture it looks like a basalt grey model. Wanna sell the right side mirror?
post #48 of 61 Old Feb 4th, 2006, 6:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by fas
Life's short Grif. Go new. You deserve it.

Amen to that. Go new, see some country (under warranty)!
post #49 of 61 Old Feb 4th, 2006, 10:57 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmorg
From the picture it looks like a basalt grey model. Wanna sell the right side mirror?
You'll have to ask Mike Tyson that one.

-=grif=-

Grok
post #50 of 61 Old Feb 4th, 2006, 10:58 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rracer
Amen to that. Go new, see some country (under warranty)!
A warranty doesn't last long and purdy much requires a dealer touching it. I reckon I'll pass on that one.

-=grif=-

Grok

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in