A Few Questions - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Aug 20th, 2009, 2:04 pm Thread Starter

A Few Questions

Hi,

New member and new owner of a 55 LT in the UK - the bike has the cradle for the navigator unit but I need to get hold of one - any ideas on this other than Ebay would be appreciated. Do the direction instructions come over the stereo speakers or do you need an intercom system ?

On the back, at one side the passenger can adjust volume, on the other side there is a three way toggle switch - I am guessing this is off / intercom / speaker - can anyone please confirm this.

Last question - is there a specific type of intercom required - I think I will go for at least the navigator 3 because that has bluetooth - I guess you have to have the intercom for this.

Sorry for so may questions

Thanks

Monty (Hull East Yorks)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Aug 20th, 2009, 2:27 pm

Re: A Few Questions

Man ! That's an old LT !

I didn't even know they made them in 55...

You must have got a prototype....

Quote:
On the back, at one side the passenger can adjust volume, on the other side there is a three way toggle switch - I am guessing this is off / intercom / speaker - can anyone please confirm this.
Sounds right.

Look in the sidecases or under the seat for the intercom.
There may be switches in the oddments box for the driver as well..

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old Aug 20th, 2009, 3:22 pm

That three way toggle switch sounds like an Autcom part which is a meany to install; it integrates the input from the radio or other device into the Autocom core unit and then either/both puts the output through the speakers and the helmet headsets.

My hunch is that the PO pulled the core Autocom unit but didn't undertake the hassle of disconnecting the other wiring.

Larry Johnson

post #4 of 8 Old Aug 20th, 2009, 3:36 pm Thread Starter

The bike has got connections for both the rider and the passenger for the intercom the same as my goldwing had - is this not standard ?
post #5 of 8 Old Aug 20th, 2009, 3:45 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Go this thread you get spme good info and answers to your question regarding mounts. "http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18161&highlight=garmin+2820." The Garmin 2820 is essentially the same as BMW NAV III but also has XM and MP3 and cost a lot less. I got a refurbished one from getfeetwet.com for about $400.

Doug Sorchilla
La Quinta, CA
2012 K1600 GTL

Growing Old is Mandatory Growing Up is Optional
post #6 of 8 Old Aug 20th, 2009, 5:53 pm

You may want to take some pictures. This will help us to help you. In the ornaments box is there anything other then a cassette or CD player.

Tom Ress
Great White North
Minnesota
Canyon Red 2000

You have to grow up to have a mid-life crisis!!!!!

I could play with women or with cars, I find cars are cheaper and you can write a book about cars a guy would understand.
post #7 of 8 Old Aug 20th, 2009, 5:55 pm

Still think it's an Autocom rig--that's the characteristic position for the toggle switch.

If there are leads for the driver and passenger (five or seven pin grey females) then take off the seat and see if the core Autocom unit is mounted there somewhere. It will have a big label on it. You can find, somewhere in the Hall of Wisdom, a description for the way that they should be installed. BTW, it will have a third female lead which would be used to connect to a FRS/GMRS radio such as a Kenwood Freetalk

If it is an Autocom, their UK site has much of the documentation.

Larry Johnson
post #8 of 8 Old Aug 21st, 2009, 3:26 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljjohns
Still think it's an Autocom rig--that's the characteristic position for the toggle switch.

If there are leads for the driver and passenger (five or seven pin grey females) then take off the seat and see if the core Autocom unit is mounted there somewhere. It will have a big label on it. You can find, somewhere in the Hall of Wisdom, a description for the way that they should be installed. BTW, it will have a third female lead which would be used to connect to a FRS/GMRS radio such as a Kenwood Freetalk

If it is an Autocom, their UK site has much of the documentation.

Larry Johnson
Thanks Larry

I took the back seat off and found the Autocom box - that explains it thanks.

Ian

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in