Windshield a giant, sucking vortex - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old Aug 19th, 2009, 6:54 pm Thread Starter

Windshield a giant, sucking vortex

I've only had my LT (2000) for about a month. I've put about 1,000 miles on her, mostly commuting to/from work. I did go on a 220-mile ride a couple of weeks ago, and I love the bike.

What I've noticed is that as I get up to highway speeds, I feel like my head is getting pushed forward from behind towards the windshield by a strong wind/force. This sensation is even greater if the windshield is raised to its highest position. It's actually a bit of work to keep pushing my head back against the force.

I assume others have experienced the same thing. Is there anything that can be done about it? A different windshield, maybe?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old Aug 19th, 2009, 7:01 pm

Garage
Re: Windshield a giant, sucking vortex

You'll have to find the sweet spot on the stock WS. other's are better at minimizing the effects. Search for windshields to find the plethora out there. no recommendations as it is simply a preference thing...

Hoss
'Stupidity has a knack of getting its way.' --Albert Camus
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
R.I.P. - '00- K1200LTE- "Barbara" - Retired at 168K 9/2011
MOA, IBA, EXR & RCB and TMI
post #3 of 24 Old Aug 19th, 2009, 7:23 pm

You need to lower the windshield a little. I only run mine all the way up if I'm running in rain. Just raise it until you feel the wind settling down and no head bobble. It's usually just above eye level. You'll have to play around with it............

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.

post #4 of 24 Old Aug 19th, 2009, 7:30 pm

Shields Profile / Shape makes a huge difference in air flow around rider and passenger.
As does view and lack of the horrid distortion of the stock shield.

A Cut down PARABELLUM is my shield of choice.

"00" Canyon Red LTI ~ Well Farklized ~ Bug Splattered
Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
T
wisties Required

post #5 of 24 Old Aug 19th, 2009, 7:41 pm Thread Starter

I do mostly ride with the shield in its lowest position (especially since it's been so hot here recently), but I still feel like the vortex is sucking me in even when it's low.

I saw another thread about cutting the stock shield. I may have to explore that option.
post #6 of 24 Old Aug 19th, 2009, 8:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT_Timmer
I do mostly ride with the shield in its lowest position (especially since it's been so hot here recently), but I still feel like the vortex is sucking me in even when it's low.

I saw another thread about cutting the stock shield. I may have to explore that option.
How tall are you? It is possible that you need a shorter version of the windshield?

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #7 of 24 Old Aug 19th, 2009, 8:38 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
How tall are you? It is possible that you need a shorter version of the windshield?
I'm 5'9".
post #8 of 24 Old Aug 19th, 2009, 8:56 pm
SEG

I'm 5' 8" and I get the same pull toward the windshield at its highest position, with the stock windshield on my '09 LT. I drop the windshield just to the point that the top of my helmet is 1-2" above the height of the windshield and that seems to do the trick. Like others, in this kind of heat we're having, I keep the windshield in the lowest position. Usually, when it's raining, I'll keep the top of the windshield just at eye height or slightly lower.

- 2009 LT
- BMW MOA #92950
- BMW RA #41621
- IBA #35299
post #9 of 24 Old Aug 19th, 2009, 10:06 pm

Garage

Quote:
I'm 5'9".

WELL HELL... THERE'S YOUR PROBLEM!

Hoss
'Stupidity has a knack of getting its way.' --Albert Camus
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
R.I.P. - '00- K1200LTE- "Barbara" - Retired at 168K 9/2011
MOA, IBA, EXR & RCB and TMI
post #10 of 24 Old Aug 19th, 2009, 10:47 pm

Just so you know my 09 does the same thing I'm 6' 3" just have to lower the shield a bit to break the effect.

Quote:
I've only had my LT (2000) for about a month. I've put about 1,000 miles on her, mostly commuting to/from work. I did go on a 220-mile ride a couple of weeks ago, and I love the bike.

What I've noticed is that as I get up to highway speeds, I feel like my head is getting pushed forward from behind towards the windshield by a strong wind/force. This sensation is even greater if the windshield is raised to its highest position. It's actually a bit of work to keep pushing my head back against the force.

I assume others have experienced the same thing. Is there anything that can be done about it? A different windshield, maybe?

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969

Last edited by Kra961; Aug 19th, 2009 at 10:48 pm. Reason: Additional information
post #11 of 24 Old Aug 20th, 2009, 7:01 am

I never noticed; it's not bothered me. I do tend to sit forward on the seat and, at times, I do enjoy the quiet provided by the vacuum.

Avatar credit: Curtis Callaway, 2009
Rider of Stahlross
1999 Basalt Grey LT
2001 Classic Red Ducati 748
post #12 of 24 Old Aug 20th, 2009, 8:20 am

I'm 5-11 and have found that this "problem" is simply one of the bike's strange but manageable quirks. Seat position, along with the stock windshield's height seem to make it work. I do find it odd to have to clean both the outside and inside windshield of bugs!

As a side note, when it is raining hard, I have MUCH better visibility with the windshield all the way down and I depend on the helmets visor. I have a Nolan and the rain just glances off and my visibility is so much better than seeing through the helmets visor, my sunglasses and the windshield.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #13 of 24 Old Aug 20th, 2009, 11:52 am

Quote:

Do you have the stock windshield? I think the stock windshield measures 21"(?) top to bottom. It will have the BMW logo etched into it near the bottom center.

Quote:

At the lowest position, I have no problem with any "sucking vortex". Only when it is raised above my eye-line. When positioned just below my eye-line, it is balanced but makes enough wind noise to warrant earplugs under my helmet.
I found a BMW Euro windshield. It is much shorter than the standard. At its highest position, there is still a lot of wind but never a "back-draft" condition. btw, it's great for riding in the summer sauna down here. Plenty of air.

Quote:
I'm 5'9".
I'm about the same height.

Dave
-2000 K1200LT
-------------------------------
Life's too short to ride ugly motorcycles
post #14 of 24 Old Aug 20th, 2009, 10:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukey33
I found a BMW Euro windshield. It is much shorter than the standard. At its highest position, there is still a lot of wind but never a "back-draft" condition. btw, it's great for riding in the summer sauna down here. Plenty of air.

I have the Euro also, with the addition of a Laminar Lip I can ride with the shield nearly all the way down and have good protection without any back pressure. I'm 6' 4" and without the lip I needed the Euro all the way up to be comfortable but even then the back pressure was minimal.

2006 R1200RT
2006 Kawasaki KLR 650
2000 Suzuki Bandit 1200s
post #15 of 24 Old Nov 1st, 2009, 9:07 pm

Hi. I just bought a 00 LT With 17,000 mi. To cold to ride here in MI. so it sets at the dealer until spring. Most bikes have this problem, Thats why GW has a vent in theirs. Some 3rd party wind screens come with vents. I Think I've seen some Internet adds for DIY vents to put in stock screens.

I,m new to this group. Have been riding a Bergman 650 Scooter the last 5 yr. Felt very much like the LT but not so good for the wife.
post #16 of 24 Old Nov 2nd, 2009, 1:33 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orin
Hi. I just bought a 00 LT With 17,000 mi. To cold to ride here in MI. so it sets at the dealer until spring. Most bikes have this problem, Thats why GW has a vent in theirs. Some 3rd party wind screens come with vents. I Think I've seen some Internet adds for DIY vents to put in stock screens.

I,m new to this group. Have been riding a Bergman 650 Scooter the last 5 yr. Felt very much like the LT but not so good for the wife.
How can you leave your new bike at the dealer's until spring??????? Do you get visiting privelages so that you can at least sit on the seat and make motor noises while pretending you are riding in spring weather?

Couldn't leave it at the dealer. I would HAVE to bring it home so that I could polish, clean, farkle up, change fluids, perform other needed services, (pretend)!

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #17 of 24 Old Nov 2nd, 2009, 2:40 am

Ive found that altering the btm mirror wings stops this
post #18 of 24 Old Nov 2nd, 2009, 7:25 am

Quote:

do you have the side wings open? it helps when its hot
post #19 of 24 Old Nov 2nd, 2009, 7:47 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeper
I have the Euro also, with the addition of a Laminar Lip I can ride with the shield nearly all the way down and have good protection without any back pressure. I'm 6' 4" and without the lip I needed the Euro all the way up to be comfortable but even then the back pressure was minimal.

Double ditto on this set up. This is what I have, Euro shield with the Laminar lip and no pushing/pulling of the head and it is quiet behind the shield. Love this set up.

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
Contact me 4 motor training 1&1
Expert witness in motorcycle crash reconstruction (Contact me)
post #20 of 24 Old Nov 2nd, 2009, 6:46 pm

I have a laminar lip for sale...$30 plus S/H.

I live in Virginia Beach, VA and work in Silver Spring, MD.

I work with a guy that commutes from Purcellville daily.

If you are interested, I can bring it up and send it out with him...no shipping costs.

Cheers,
Glenn

Glenn
Virginia Beach VA and Washington DC

2006 K1200LT "Phoenix Helena": Dark Graphite (#946)
2005 K1200LT "Dolly": Dark Graphite (#946) - Totaled July 2011
2002 K1200LT "Helga"-totaled Apr 2009
Iron Butt Membership # 45813

<By Motorcycle>

<By Car or Ship>
post #21 of 24 Old Nov 2nd, 2009, 7:39 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

After riding awhile with the trunk off and just putting it back on I am very aware of this. I missed the trunk storage for bulky clothing.

But I can feel it is back. I can adjust it out with the shield as others have said but it was nice when it was not there at all.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #22 of 24 Old Nov 3rd, 2009, 7:21 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennM86
I have a laminar lip for sale...$30 plus S/H.

I live in Virginia Beach, VA and work in Silver Spring, MD.

I work with a guy that commutes from Purcellville daily.

If you are interested, I can bring it up and send it out with him...no shipping costs.

Cheers,
Glenn
if Lt Timmer isn't interested in it, I am. I happen to live in Purcellville too.

Bob Brendel
05 LT, Light Metallic Yellow
99 LT, Totaled 3/09
97 HD Former Work Bike
88 GL1500
84 GL1200
S3 400 Kaw, too long ago to remember the year
175 Yamaha even longer

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night

Only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf

George Orwell
post #23 of 24 Old Nov 3rd, 2009, 1:56 pm

Just to add my $.02 worth, I bought '00 with the VStream already on it and am very happy with it. But then, it's all I know as I've never ridden any other LT's. I do get the vortex if the 'shield is all the way up, but I can usually find a good height that minimizes this while still cutting most of the wind and noise (generally just a couple of inches below "full up").

Mark

2000 Canyon Red LTC purchased 7/09
(dropped twice since I've owned it... once on each side for good measure!
)

2001 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic - Sold
post #24 of 24 Old Nov 3rd, 2009, 9:41 pm

It is a very strange phenomenon. The first few times I cleaned the bike I could not figure out how all the bugs got on the inside of the windshield. It wasn’t until I went though a “bug storm” that I saw the critters coming in from underneath the shield and hitting the back of it. It was an odd sight to see, not to mention messy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in