Dead radio/CD with only LCD after reset - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Aug 19th, 2009, 8:17 am Thread Starter

Dead radio/CD with only LCD after reset

Hi folks, I looked but couldn't find anything similar in the archives so I'll try a new post.

Problem: radio on my 2004 LT was on and functioning perfectly when I started the bike a few weeks ago. Low power situation then killed the radio (as others have reported). I, too, have had this happen before and did the following: pulled fuse 4 and disconnected the two cables at the stingray (I was changing spark plugs at the time). This time the "fixes" didn't work.

I left the radio disconnected for an hour, tried it and it didn't work. Left it overnight and it still didn't work. When I turn on the radio all I get is a relatively blank, lighted LCD. Is there somewhere else I should be looking? Is there an internal fuse in the CD player I've missed? Thanks for any suggestions

Rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Aug 19th, 2009, 1:46 pm
BMW Guru

Re: Dead radio/CD with only LCD after reset

If you're still using the battery that went low a few weeks ago I would change it out. I had a few little electrical issues with my 03 including the radio problem you describe. The bike does not like a battery that's not fully charged and putting out full power.

A new battery fixed all of my problems.

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 Old Aug 19th, 2009, 7:19 pm

Garage

second radio issue today....Something in the air or what... did you pull the radio? under the radio in the stingray is yet another fuse. May or may not be it, but its a cheap, if not exhaustive fix...

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...702#post404702

Hoss
'Stupidity has a knack of getting its way.' --Albert Camus
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
R.I.P. - '00- K1200LTE- "Barbara" - Retired at 168K 9/2011
MOA, IBA, EXR & RCB and TMI

post #4 of 15 Old Aug 19th, 2009, 8:40 pm Thread Starter

I should clarify my original post a bit. When I stated I had low voltage it was simply a result of me messing around just a bit too long with the ignition on prior to starting. The battery is OK.

Actually, I had the battery on a trickle charger prior to experimenting last night and the voltage was 13.8 before I even re-inserted the fuse, re-connected the cables and tried to power up the radio ("RDU" - I'll remember that for future searches!). The second time I had the bike running before I tried to power up the unit.

As for Shoswell's post, I think the internal fuse might be my only option for further examination - aside from the potential that the unit is actually toasted because of water leak. Shoswell's thread seems pretty similar to my symptoms.

SInce I already have the left-side Tupperware off I guess I'll go ahead and remove the right-side plastic and get into the Stingray. I've removed it before and the further disassembly doesn't seem like too big a deal. I just had to replace the LCD on a MacBook (clumsy son stepped on HIS screen accidentally) so I have a little mechanical ability ;^)

I may be jinxing the process but does anyone have any idea of replacement cost for one of these units? Just in case. What I use the RDU for mostly is the weather radio since I generally use an iPod with earbuds for ambient noise reduction. That ol' tinnitus thingy ;^)

Thanks for the link, tips and photos. I'll post info on what I find.
post #5 of 15 Old Aug 19th, 2009, 8:43 pm
BMW Guru

Try disconnecting the battery for at least an hour...

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 15 Old Aug 19th, 2009, 9:23 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Shred
Try disconnecting the battery for at least an hour...
I think that's generally the simplest way to isolate the CD player/RDU electrically from the system for this type of problem. But since I've removed fuse 4 as well as disconnected the cables at the RDU itself I've done essentially the same thing as disconnecting the battery.

Unless you've got the Tupperware removed for other work ( I had to replace spark plugs) the battery option is definitely easier.

I don't think there are any other electrical connections at the Stingray IIRC. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, though.

Rick
post #7 of 15 Old Aug 19th, 2009, 9:41 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwtwisty
I may be jinxing the process but does anyone have any idea of replacement cost for one of these units?
Holy cow!!!! I just checked Max BMW's online catalog for radio prices:

http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fic...sp?VIN=zd80626

They want $791 for the radio alone!!!!!! Talk about sticker shock. Sheesh! I hope my problem is the internal fuse!

Rick

It's not whether you screw up, but how you recover that matters.

2004 K1200LT
1995 R100-GS/PD
1981 R100-RT
1976 R90/6
post #8 of 15 Old Aug 19th, 2009, 10:04 pm

Garage

YIP...! Search ebay, craigslist and other vendors on this site.. I lucked into the entire stingray w/ comsystem and cb connections, RDU and CD for $500... I almost ran to NYC to get it from the dim wit...You may get lucky. I hope it is the fuse at the radio, but doubt it. that one is difficult to blow. Sometimes I've read in my efforts they they just "go" sometimes. When you tear it down, p.m. me and I'll clean up my old one and send it to you to see if it works. Not promising anything, but for $5 in shipping its worth the effort.

As for the battery reset, I'd give it a try as it not only will kill power to the battery, but the Modec as well. (with the cables off the battery, short the two together to drain any charge from the system, hold them for a minute or so OFF THE BATTERY) When you do this make sure when you plug her back in you reset the modec/throttle.

Basically, I'd try everything that has worked for others before I tear into the stingray. Not a difficult job, but time consuming. Let us know your results.

Hoss
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen

Last edited by shoswell; Aug 19th, 2009 at 10:59 pm.
post #9 of 15 Old Aug 21st, 2009, 8:19 pm Thread Starter

Unhappy Re: Dead radio/CD with only LCD after reset

I did the battery disconnect procedure as was suggested. I even left the cable off the battery for nearly 24 hours - just in case there were any electrons that wouldn't skedaddle quickly. I also had the bike running before I hooked up the radio cables and switched on the power.

Unfortunately, the radio still appears to be, well, comatose. The light comes on as before but there's nothing on the LCD nor is there any noise from the speakers. I guess I'm outta luck.

At this point I'll probably take the radio apart to see if, on a really slim chance, the internal fuse might have blown. I'll let you know if I see any water damage inside. Although I live in SW PA, our climate sometimes rivals the Pacific Northwet - at least with precipitation frequency. I'll see if there was a leak through one of the rubber seals.

Thanks for the assist with the diagnosis. I'll update on the autopsy.

(I also did the throttle reset procedure, too)

Rick

2004 K1200LT
1995 R100-GS/PD
1981 R100-RT
1976 R90/6
post #10 of 15 Old Aug 21st, 2009, 9:44 pm

When you get to the back of the stingray, disconnect and reconnect all connectors. You may be lucky and have an issue with corrosion build-up, which will get cleared by the procedure.

Worth trying!

Everything else failing, check for a used replacement radio. There is one on eBay right now, a cassette set.

Robert in Northern NJ

'09 R12GS, '08 R12RT, '03 R1150RT, '01 F650GS - time to thin the herd?

post #11 of 15 Old Aug 22nd, 2009, 1:40 am

Rick,

My radio is prone to this condition anytime I forget and start the bike with the radio on, regardless of battery condition--maybe 5% of the time the radio locks up. When the power button is pushed, the display remains blank and no controls have any effect. I think it is triggered by a power glitch from the starting system.

I have tried removing the stingray for hours, even overnight, and the behavior is the same.

I do have a fix that works for me. I have to disconnect the ribbon cable on the back of the display module. I can plug it right back in and it works. Don't ask me why. You have to take the radio out of the stingray to get at it. So far I have had to do it 4 times on my 02. I have gotten real good at keeping the radio off until the bike is running. I usually get caught when I stall at an intersection.

Maybe it would work for you.
Good luck.

Jeff
post #12 of 15 Old Aug 22nd, 2009, 2:21 pm Thread Starter

Some good news for a change. I spent some additional time and removed the stingray from the bike. FWIW, there are another 3 cables to disconnect on the left side under the handlebar in addition to the three at the rear of the stingray.

I took the stingray apart, flipped it upside down and (before I saw Jeff's post), disassembled it and removed the CD/radio assembly and then the display unit.

Unfortunately I didn't have a really small torx driver so I couldn't get inside the display unit but it didn't look like I needed to at the time. Everything looked good, however, and I couldn't see any signs of water damage. There is a rubber gasket that runs along the perimeter on the bottom of the display unit that prevents water from getting in from the bottom where it sits in the stingray.

At that point everything looked OK, and since the unit had been out of the bike for more than an hour I decided to see if anything worked. I connected the display unit and went back to the bike and hooked up the CD/Radio assembly and powered it up (the bike was on the trickle charger just in case and the voltage was 13.3v). Voila!! It worked.

So, again, it looks like when these things exhibit the lighted-display-only completely removing the stingray from the bike and, then, removing the display unit and re-connecting everything can make a difference. Again, you don't have to reassemble the stingray to test for function. You can just take the CD/radio with display unit connected and plug it in to test.

Also, I put a little bit of dielectric grease on all the connector pins figuring it couldn't hurt.

I have some photos of the disassembled items. I can put them in this post later if anyone thinks it'd be worthwhile.

This was a really simple job, If you can take off the Tupperware to do your maintenance then removing a few more screws will get you into the stingray. There's nothing really delicate to worry about and no tiny screws to lose. I think there are a total of 8 screws and a couple hex bolts, and one nut, to have the CD/radio and display unit apart for diagnosis and examination.

I think Jeff is on to something with disconnecting the display unit. In my case, after going through the suggested battery cable removal, touching the cables (off the battery, of course!) removing fuse 4 and leaving the bike sit for 24 hours without power, it came down to the disassembly of the stingray and display unit to get the thing to work.

Now I just have to put the Tupperware back together 8^/

Thanks again for the tips. I hope I've contributed a bit to the discussion.

2004 K1200LT
1995 R100-GS/PD
1981 R100-RT
1976 R90/6
post #13 of 15 Old Aug 22nd, 2009, 3:12 pm

Garage

Yet another save with the complicated, overly technical, good luck experiences of us all. Add yet another "quick fix" to the endless list of things to do when........
Congrats...

Hoss
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
post #14 of 15 Old Aug 22nd, 2009, 3:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwtwisty
Some good news for a change. I spent some additional time and removed the stingray from the bike. FWIW, there are another 3 cables to disconnect on the left side under the handlebar in addition to the three at the rear of the stingray.

I took the stingray apart, flipped it upside down and (before I saw Jeff's post), disassembled it and removed the CD/radio assembly and then the display unit.

Unfortunately I didn't have a really small torx driver so I couldn't get inside the display unit but it didn't look like I needed to at the time. Everything looked good, however, and I couldn't see any signs of water damage. There is a rubber gasket that runs along the perimeter on the bottom of the display unit that prevents water from getting in from the bottom where it sits in the stingray.

At that point everything looked OK, and since the unit had been out of the bike for more than an hour I decided to see if anything worked. I connected the display unit and went back to the bike and hooked up the CD/Radio assembly and powered it up (the bike was on the trickle charger just in case and the voltage was 13.3v). Voila!! It worked.

So, again, it looks like when these things exhibit the lighted-display-only completely removing the stingray from the bike and, then, removing the display unit and re-connecting everything can make a difference. Again, you don't have to reassemble the stingray to test for function. You can just take the CD/radio with display unit connected and plug it in to test.

Also, I put a little bit of dielectric grease on all the connector pins figuring it couldn't hurt.

I have some photos of the disassembled items. I can put them in this post later if anyone thinks it'd be worthwhile.

This was a really simple job, If you can take off the Tupperware to do your maintenance then removing a few more screws will get you into the stingray. There's nothing really delicate to worry about and no tiny screws to lose. I think there are a total of 8 screws and a couple hex bolts, and one nut, to have the CD/radio and display unit apart for diagnosis and examination.

I think Jeff is on to something with disconnecting the display unit. In my case, after going through the suggested battery cable removal, touching the cables (off the battery, of course!) removing fuse 4 and leaving the bike sit for 24 hours without power, it came down to the disassembly of the stingray and display unit to get the thing to work.

Now I just have to put the Tupperware back together 8^/

Thanks again for the tips. I hope I've contributed a bit to the discussion.
Glad it is working. Seems like a lot of these radios exhibit the same behavior, but not all can be fixed with the same remedy.
post #15 of 15 Old Aug 22nd, 2009, 3:36 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoswell
Add yet another "quick fix" to the endless list of things to do when........
I'd restate that as (relatively) quick but CHEAP fix." The time spent on disassembly sure beats eight hundred bucks for a new unit! I'm still mystified by how much of a fluke this issue is and how it comes down to (Jeff's and my experience, at least) disconnecting the display and reconnecting it to make the whole thing work.

2004 K1200LT
1995 R100-GS/PD
1981 R100-RT
1976 R90/6

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in