In need of advice, I dropped her..... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Aug 18th, 2009, 9:24 am Thread Starter

In need of advice, I dropped her.....

Yesterday, I experienced my first drop of my LT. It happened so quick that it seems I went from being stopped with both feet on ground to laying on ground. The tipover wings worked great and did their job preventing any damage, so lucky there. I was exiting a parking lot and the drive of this lot had a very steep incline to the road. I had to stop at the top of this incline due to oncoming traffic. I was turning left. Since I was on a steep incline, I did my normal of left hand on clutch, right hand on brake and I "pinched" the throttle between my right thumb and index finger so I could keep some brake to keep from rolling back and applying throttle at the same time. On the Valkyrie I had, due to the low end grunt of that engine, I never had this problem. When I started to accelerate, I got the rpm's up and slowly released the clutch while decreasing pressure on the right brake. Well, she did not have the low end grunt with the amount of throttle I had to keep from choking down, which she did. In a quick instant, I was on the ground. I didn't even have time to get a foot down to try and hold her up, but she did only go over on the tip over wing. I was really surprised at seeing how well the wing kept her from laying over too far. Thank goodness I was leaving a gym. In a matter of a minute three guys came out and got her up in no time, held her until I got on and left. Thank you , thank you , thank you...What concerns me is this, I was giving her a good bit of throttle, so should I have let the clutch out even more slowly (I dont want to burn out a clutch) or increase the amount of throttle, or what? I don't want to experience this again, but probably will, so when you are taking off on a steep incline and you have to turn left, what is best procedure to keep her from choking down? That was one benefit of the Valk, it had tremendous low end power to pull......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Aug 18th, 2009, 9:40 am

Re: In need of advice, I dropped her.....

Keep the RPM's up. I have the same problem when I tow my trailer. High RPM's and let the clutch slip a little untill you are balanced and off you go.

Garry

Follow my South America ride at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

IBAID 26718
BMWMOA 117552
2011 K1600GTL RECEIVED April 30th, 2011 @ 1:30 pm
2012 RED KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 Old Aug 18th, 2009, 9:57 am
Lifetime Supporter

+1 on keeping the RPMs high. I have dropped under the same conditions - steep incline, poor visability for oncoming traffic. Welcome to the club! I get as far forward to the crossroad as I can, use the foot brake until I feel it's clean, rev to 2500 and slowly let out the clutch and continue to roll on the throttle.
I'll allow some wear in return for not having to pick her up ... again.

HTH,
Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!

post #4 of 8 Old Aug 18th, 2009, 10:28 am

As all have said, plenty of throttle and slip the clutch. For the number of times that your going to encounter this situation you really won't hurt the clutch. You may also want to try using your right foot on the rear brake rather than trying to control both brake and throttle with your right hand. I believe that having your right hand free to control only the throttle rather than brake/throttle will give you much better control and the rear brake will work just fine to keep you from rolling backward.

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

post #5 of 8 Old Aug 18th, 2009, 10:48 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn_Keen
As all have said, plenty of throttle and slip the clutch. For the number of times that your going to encounter this situation you really won't hurt the clutch. You may also want to try using your right foot on the rear brake rather than trying to control both brake and throttle with your right hand. I believe that having your right hand free to control only the throttle rather than brake/throttle will give you much better control and the rear brake will work just fine to keep you from rolling backward.
+1 on Lynn's advice...use the rear brake to hold the bike while you let out the clutch and give it some good RPM's with the throttle. There are some very steep inclines in Seattle as you leave the waterfront. This technique has worked very well for me, but you do need to be comfortable with keeping the bike balanced and only one foot on the ground.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun in the woods)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #6 of 8 Old Aug 18th, 2009, 12:20 pm

I'd go back there on a low/no traffic day and drive the same route again several times for two reasons. First, to probably show that you have the skills to make the maneuver but this time it was an abberition, a fluke, and second, to prove a point that no driveway or the LT will dominate your driving. Go back and settle the matter proving that you can make the turn with confidence.

Keep in mind that both the bike and the driveway work for you and YOU decide what happens, not the other way around. Time for some revenge.
post #7 of 8 Old Aug 18th, 2009, 12:45 pm
Rider Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhunter44
..... I was turning left.
Howdy John,

You are in good company with the drop.

Implicit in your description is that you had the wheel turned as you stopped and started. The LT does NOT behave well when approaching zero mph and the wheel being turned. If you had started out "straight ahead" on the hill and the power faded, or you had to stop quickly due to a vehicle appearing quickly you can grab the brake and not tip over.

Same goes for the stopping of the LT. Do all your positional changes before you get near a stop, straighten the wheel and then stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhunter44
Since I was on a steep incline, I did my normal of left hand on clutch, right hand on brake and I "pinched" the throttle between my right thumb and index finger so I could keep some brake to keep from rolling back and applying throttle at the same time. On the Valkyrie I had, due to the low end grunt of that engine, I never had this problem. When I started to accelerate, I got the rpm's up and slowly released the clutch while decreasing pressure on the right brake.
I agree with the others, use the foot brake. I suggest you practice on flat ground. The foot brake is linked and if you press very lightly it'll only hold the rear wheel, press too hard and not let off quickly enough and you will stall the bike in a hurry...the brakes (front) is very strong.

Good luck.

Bill "Omaha"

"Life may have begun at 44, but it didn't get thrilling until I shot past 100"

'04 K1200LT "Dieter" Titan Silver, FB 4/23/04
'06 K1200R "Wolfgang" White Aluminum Metallic, FB 6/7/05

RCB AMA, BMWMOA, Booze Brother "in training"
CCR: '04 Breckenridge CO, '05 Jackson Lake Lodge WY, '06 Chateau Elan GA, '08 Midway UT

post #8 of 8 Old Aug 18th, 2009, 1:55 pm

What Garry said.

Move from stopped deliberately.

You are asking for trouble if you hesitate or slow on takeoff.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in