3Likes
  • 1 Post By jzeiler
  • 1 Post By Voyager
  • 1 Post By palarimer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Aug 16th, 2009, 9:46 pm Thread Starter

K1200LT Wiring Harness Meltdown / replacement

Hi Group

Last Friday evening , my wife an I were headed out to the Yankee Beemers Heath rally
on our initial trip towing a trailer,an OLD borrowed "Time Out ' from a friend

All went well on my first few test rides maybe 20 miles total
Handling Ok Brakes adequate , lights worked fine

The Meltdown
100 miles from home , just over the Connecticut river
I smell something bad , slow down and find my lap is smoking !
Shut it off ,Headlite is still burning , oh oh !
Unplug the trailer , connector is warm
Disconnect the battery , to keep it from turning into a burning rig of fire

The Cause
So ,,, Long story short ... after getting it home
It must have been a short in the trailer wiring
My wiring job went directly off of a taillight, and I DIDN"T use an isolator ( Duh ).

OBSERVATIONS
Bike has power when ign sw is on ( dash lights look ok)
but Starter now doesn't spin

Headlite is OK now
Stoplights don't work , fuse is blown ,
and blows another fuse immediately when brakes are applied.
No Taillights ...I don't see a taillight fuse anywhere ?
Is that buried under the tank somewhere ?

The Questions...>
SO ...?

Does it look like I'm in for a Whole Harness replacement? or partial ...
How can I test ?, everything looks wrapped pretty tightly .
I see a few harnesses on eBay for not unreasonable prices, < 200$
Do you know what years will work ?
Up To 2001 has been suggested the fellow below selling a harness
Agreed ?

Has anyone attempted a fix like this ?
What am I in for ? A week of eating Spaghetti?
Leftover connections ? A TOTALLY stripped bike ?

Also slightly worried that my ECM may have gotten fried too ? Relays?
How can I test ?

The Gratuities
Thanks for any help you Electrical Wizards can give me .
My bike is a 1999 Custom w 90k miles , audio electronics already removed
( Jensen Solution applied )

I Can't say enough about AJ's BMW in Gill Mass
I'll relate that story of charity and human kindness in another post

Thanks Oldwingratbike
Holbrook Mass

The Replacement
Here is an eBay listing from Motographix in Alabama
Exact year and model as mine for 200 $

BMW K1200LT Custom Complete Chassis Wiring Wire Harness

OEM wire harness removed from a 1999 K1200LT Custom with heated seats, cruise, radio, etc. OEM p/n 61 11 2 305 963 fits all K1200LT models up to 01/2001. Excellent condition on this wiring harness. Only 18,000 miles on bike when it was carefully removed. All the ends and connectors are in great shape. Nothing cut or damaged to remove it from the bike.

This unit would cost over $2,000 new from the dealer. Check your part number and prices. This is a lot cheaper than retail even from your favorite discount dealer. Buy guaranteed good, used parts here for less!

Dwight Oldwing Nevins
Holbrook Mass

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1973 r60/5 lwb
1999 k1200ltc
2000 r1100rt-p
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Aug 16th, 2009, 9:52 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: K1200LT Wiring Harness Meltdown / replacement

Worked on a similar incident. This was a stuck starter relay (starter was still running) while the guy rode it until the battery died. On installation of the new battery starter ran, he got that stopped but it was like the key was on all the time until he disconnected the battery.

On tear down we discovered melted wiring stuck together from the relay box almost back to the starter. Stripped back the harness covering and separated the melted wires. taped everything back up and she was just fine.

Yours may be worth a shot. F2 is the tailight fuse.
Patric likes this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old May 2nd, 2016, 10:34 pm

My harness caught fire in the headlight fairing due to the heated grip wire shorting out due to chafing in Dec. 2010
as I was on my move out west. fried a whole lot including gage cluster and both handlebar electrical boxes. I got a lot of replacement parts at LKQ on ebay out of Texas, also a fellow Lt owner had a whole ,main harness. It was expensive! Havn't had any problems since, knlck on wood as I am working on her right now too.

Brian A. Brodhead
God created all men, Samuel Colt made them equal

2005 BMW K1200LT Goldie goodtime plastic fm rock'n roamer
1975 Triumph T160 750 restored "Heather" For Sale

post #4 of 9 Old May 2nd, 2016, 11:34 pm

I got a set of these grips from Germany but havn't installed them yet. Soon. Hope they fit, boil in water till they expand some and look like they shoud do the trick. I havn't done any riding for 2 years as a result of breaking my femur at the ball in Oct 2013 hunting season. This year I am giving it the go. need tobleed the ABS and finish Hydro dipping the tupperware a Gold Burl Walnut. Pictures when I'm done.

Replacement Rubber Grips for Handlebar Heating BMW K1200RS K1200LT Until 2003 | eBay

Brian A. Brodhead

post #5 of 9 Old May 3rd, 2016, 7:30 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
Worked on a similar incident. This was a stuck starter relay (starter was still running) while the guy rode it until the battery died. On installation of the new battery starter ran, he got that stopped but it was like the key was on all the time until he disconnected the battery.

On tear down we discovered melted wiring stuck together from the relay box almost back to the starter. Stripped back the harness covering and separated the melted wires. taped everything back up and she was just fine.

Yours may be worth a shot. F2 is the tailight fuse.
I'm with John. You likely have one or two melted and shorted wires. The hard part is finding them. The good news (OK, I am reaching here) is that you would have to pretty well strip the bike in order to replace properly a complete hare was. So, might as well start and inspect along the way. If you find a real mess not worth fixing, then you will be well on your way to what is required for full harness replacement.
Patric likes this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #6 of 9 Old May 3rd, 2016, 3:29 pm

You might have a bad rear lights sub-harness failure. Meaning the harness the trailer lights were connected to.

I had a very similar experience as you back in 2012 on my 2002 LT. Had a few miles of test riding solo, a few miles test with a load in the trailer, then headed for Pennsylvania a few days later. I didn't make it to PA...on the bike. Had the exact symptoms you describe.....hot trailer connector, smoke coming up from under the seat, and a melted or shorted battery. My insurance company totaled the bike and I got another one. Kept the 2002 for parts but ended up selling to a fellow that was looking for a motorcycle project. He found a full harness online somewhere for $200 or so, then took LOTS of pictures as he meticulously disassemble the bike and put in the new harness. The bike now runs flawlessly, but I know he put many hours into it over the course of a couple winters.

Scott and Theresa
Munising, MI
2004 K1200LT Black
2014 Kawasaki KLR650

post #7 of 9 Old May 3rd, 2016, 5:50 pm

It was definitly a combination for me of electric grips and maybe the trailer wiring had something to do with it. They were chaffed and shorted which may or may not have made the trailer a problem. I had been on several trips and not had problems with the trailer and the previous owner did a 12,000 mile trip with it too. You will KNOW your LT better than most riders if you need to replace the main harness, sub harness for speakers, rear harness, etc. I have intimate knowledge now of the entire bike between the ABS brakes, clutch/oil seal, Final Drive, Fork seals, front shock/ damper, cruise control, radio, alarm system, charcoal canister and both handlebar grip electrical assemblies, boy are they fun! My hat goes off to all who have helped me keep my LT running these past 11 years. My sympathies to mechaninc everywhere that have to learn these bike without the help on here. They are a different beast altogether! I'll never get another bike so this is the only one I'll have and it needs to keep on running. I did get to sit on a new 1600 last January but have not riden one as yet as I know I can' afford one, lucky I got the LT! You people are great. I wish I had been active on the website last years as I just now found out the CCR was only 60 miles down the road in CDA! I never went on all last year, not once, now THAT was dumb! I am in the process of dipping all the plastic dash assemblies and trying to make them look different. Burl walnut is the medium but it's not as easy as the video's make it look, a damn site harder than that! Hopefully this weekend I will finish the pieces I need and get it all done. I did 3 so far that almost are as good as I want them all to be. Not yet clearcoated in the pictures. The stingray, speaker grill and dome up front remain and are very difficult to do.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l140KUB7T9GQ.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	5.7 KB
ID:	105194   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050421.JPG
Views:	213
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	105202   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050423.JPG
Views:	195
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	105218   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050422.JPG
Views:	322
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	105226   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050424.JPG
Views:	257
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	105234  

Brian A. Brodhead

post #8 of 9 Old May 4th, 2016, 1:52 am

Oooohhhhh, I really like the wood accents. Can't wait to see the finished product. Looks like a good winter project.
post #9 of 9 Old May 4th, 2016, 10:18 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearmisses View Post
.....I am in the process of dipping all the plastic dash assemblies and trying to make them look different. Burl walnut is the medium but it's not as easy as the video's make it look, a damn site harder than that! Hopefully this weekend I will finish the pieces I need and get it all done. I did 3 so far that almost are as good as I want them all to be. Not yet clearcoated in the pictures. The stingray, speaker grill and dome up front remain and are very difficult to do.
You need to start a new thread were you post updates and pictures to your progress on this....
ibbones likes this.

-Preston
Ď02 K1200 LTC | í94 K75 RT | '02 R1150 GS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in