Blowing foam? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Aug 16th, 2009, 9:01 pm Thread Starter

Blowing foam?

The last few times I have ridden my 99 LT at speed I have noticed some foam coming from where the clear shield of the instrument cluster meets the rest of the dash. I guess this must be some kind of vibration damping foam? Do I need to replace it? Is that a difficult job? Thanks to all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Aug 16th, 2009, 9:09 pm

Re: Blowing foam?

If it is the black foam you are referring to, mine came out about 70k ago, around 100k. I just pulled it out and rode on.

YMMV

Jeff in Myrtle Beach
'01 LTC
'99 Icon champagne
'02 KLR 650
TZ 185 2 stroke
Honda R100R beater

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old Aug 17th, 2009, 12:17 am

Hmmm. Well around here 'bouts, foamin' from the mouth generally means the critter has a dose of what y'all be callin' that thear hydrophbi. I'm a-feard it might be a bit too late for that rabies shot from yore friendly vet. I'm thinkin' you just might be lookin' at puttin' the beast down. I hear tell of folks takin' a whole bunch of them painful shots in the butt, but I be hopin' you get to it in time a'fore you get all hydrophbi 'round the mouth yo-self. Be a real shame to have to put you down, but I guess we could go an' lay y'all next to yourn LT critter.

Jess be mindfull of not gettin' bit an' I'll be thinkin' y'all be jess fine.

Advisin' and slowly steppin' back Karl

Disreputable Rode Hard & Put Up Wet Old Deadbeat Geezer
"We're all here because we're not all there"
--Ken & Gene Hunt
'09 Aprilia Scarabeo 500ie -- QuickSilver II
'02 LTE Silver -- Retired
'02 LTC Mauve -- RIP
2009 Subaru WRX, Stage 1 269 whp, 293 ftlb - INTERCEPTOR
2003 Ford Focus, 220 hp @ wheels 180 ftlb torque @ wheels - Traded
Northern Colorado

post #4 of 11 Old Aug 17th, 2009, 7:00 am

Actually, Murph, the shots are in the stomach. Been there, done that. Good thing the foaming is a non critical LT issue, not human.

Ultra LT
post #5 of 11 Old Aug 17th, 2009, 10:11 am

Budzee,

My 02 has done the same thing - most of it coming from the left side of the instrument cluster and a large piece fell out from below the front cowling. It seems that the Texas heat must of broken it down because it just disintegrated when I picked it up to throw it away. Does not seem to have caused any difficulty other than a little "glue" residue on the instrument clusted plastic cover that is easy to wipe off with a "little dab" of denatured alcohol on the corner of a clean soft towel.

Regards,
Skozar
post #6 of 11 Old Aug 17th, 2009, 12:08 pm

When I read the title, I was thinking of bubbles type foam, like in a bathtub. I recently replaced the brake lines on mine and spilled some brake fluid in the vicinity of the RF speaker. I had a spray bottle of ultra soapy water in the shop to check for leaks, and sprayed the bike down to get the brake fluid off.

The next week, we were riding, and my first thought was, wow that cloud is really dark. My second thought was, wow, I am getting really wet. The third though was, cool, look at all the pretty bubbles coming out of the speaker grill.

Regards,
Larry

'99 K1200LT

"There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't"
post #7 of 11 Old Aug 17th, 2009, 2:34 pm

Comes from riding her hard and putting her away wet!

Jay Slomka
Johnson City, TN

Y2K LT Champagne Class Act

BMWMOA, AMA, IBA
post #8 of 11 Old Aug 17th, 2009, 3:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayz9705
Comes from riding her hard and putting her away wet!
Ole Toad spit that foam piece out in whole - it's pretty much open cell foam and I haven't a clue of it's purpose, other than maybe to block debris. There wasn't anythang trapped in it, so not even sure that wuz the reason. It wuz pretty rotten and would disintegrate in an eye blink.

Anyway, I made a template by tracing the piece; then visited a sewing shop and purchased a pad of denser cell white foam (still very pliable and not like styrofoam); cut out a matching size and one of these days, I'll have the ignition skirt off and maybe the dash out and I'll stick it where it belongs - maybe. I haven't noticed any affect of it's removal, and it's been gone nigh onto three years. m2cw.
post #9 of 11 Old Aug 17th, 2009, 6:18 pm

Dick,

That was basically the same as mine - although I wasn't farsighted enough to template it. I would be interested in getting a copy of your pattern if you would be so inclined to transfer the outline to a newsprint or something like that.

Regards,
Skozar
post #10 of 11 Old Aug 17th, 2009, 8:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skozar
Dick,

That was basically the same as mine - although I wasn't farsighted enough to template it. I would be interested in getting a copy of your pattern if you would be so inclined to transfer the outline to a newsprint or something like that.

Regards,
Skozar
Hi, David - be glad to. Lemme go searching where I stashed the template or the foam model - either out in the garage, or down at the storage unit. Should be able to scrounge it up tamale. In the meantime, send me a snail-mail addy and I'll fire it off to ya as soon as I find it.

And if you put the foam where it goes on your scoot, kindly lemme know so when I do mine, I'll know what to expect - tupperware removal wise.

Best Regards.
post #11 of 11 Old Aug 20th, 2009, 2:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skozar
Dick,

Regards,
Skozar
Hi, David -

Found my foam fitment piece. Just need somewhere to mail it to.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in