VStream Windshield height - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Aug 14th, 2009, 5:42 pm Thread Starter

VStream Windshield height

Hi,

Does VStream sell a windshield that's taller than the stock BMW one? I don't see it on there site.

http://shop.nationalcycle.com/perl/c...model=bm%2d073

Thanks

02 LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Aug 14th, 2009, 8:14 pm
Gold Supporter

Re: VStream Windshield height

Depends on which windshield you start with....
my '00 had the short stock WS which was 440mm or about 17.3"
The parts fiche lists the tall at 620mm or about 24.4"

The actual ztechnik site only lists the one product for the LT at 22.7"

http://shop.ztechnik.com/cgi-bin/ztech/series.html

Jim H.
K1200LT '00 for Touring, '73 Norton for fun
post #3 of 15 Old Aug 15th, 2009, 11:14 am
Lifetime Supporter

I just happen to be looking at the same screen. I notice that A&S has it $20 less.

A&S listing and you get a pair of ROK straps for free. I may have to pull the trigger, once I determine shipping costs.

HTH,
Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!

post #4 of 15 Old Aug 15th, 2009, 12:12 pm

Hey Guys,
Just a quick note, I have a VStream from my recently sold LT that I'm going to be listing in the Classifieds, in case you are interested.

R1200GSA Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to Alaska I go!
(Down to ONE BIKE - ARGH!)
post #5 of 15 Old Aug 15th, 2009, 12:29 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC1
Hey Guys,
Just a quick note, I have a VStream from my recently sold LT that I'm going to be listing in the Classifieds, in case you are interested.

Cavino, go for it. I put my order in with A&S. No tax. No shipping cost + more ROK straps. Worked for me, but this offer will no doubt be a good one.

Have fun,
Jer

Jerry Palma
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #6 of 15 Old Aug 15th, 2009, 11:31 pm

Smile Re: VStream Windshield height

I just put the VStream on a couple weeks ago. The height they list is a little deceiving. The actual shield when installed seems to me to be a bit higher than the stock shield I had. At first I did not like it but after a few weeks I would not part with it. I just sit up a tad straighter to see over the top. BTW my wife loves it. She says she does not feel like a bobble head at high speeds. I do not even receive any requests to raise the shield anymore.

Wally O
2000 Champagne LT
post #7 of 15 Old Aug 16th, 2009, 12:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallyo
I just put the VStream on a couple weeks ago. The height they list is a little deceiving. The actual shield when installed seems to me to be a bit higher than the stock shield I had. At first I did not like it but after a few weeks I would not part with it. I just sit up a tad straighter to see over the top. BTW my wife loves it. She says she does not feel like a bobble head at high speeds. I do not even receive any requests to raise the shield anymore.
Wallyo,

I'm new on this site since I just bought a 2005. My stock windshield measure 17-1/4".
According to specs the Vstream should measure 22.7" which is over 4" taller than my stock. I'm considering this screen but I wouldn't want it if it wasn't at least 4" taller then the one I have, but now you put me in doubt by saying that it is a "bit higher than stock". I don't think I would want it much higher than 4" taller than stock anyway because I want to able to see the over the screen when in lower position. Would you mind to measure the shield and let me know? Perhaps a good way would be to hold the stock shield in front and meausure the difference. I'm 5'10" tall but I'm also planning too use a Airhawk seat cushion most of the time which will higher my position of about 1".

TIA
post #8 of 15 Old Aug 16th, 2009, 1:11 pm

Measuring the actual shield length is meaningless. I just measured mine and if you put the end of a tape measure on top of the BMW roundel on top of the stingray and measure to the windshield edge it is 17". This distance is with the windshield fully down on it's stops. I did not measure the stock like this so I can not compare, but you can since you still have the stock. Let me know if it's different than stock or just my imagination getting used to the different shape.
On another note has anyone removed the stops or shortened them to get it lower. Or would this go past the mechanisms limits?

Wally O
2000 Champagne LT
post #9 of 15 Old Aug 17th, 2009, 2:37 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveno
Hi,

Does VStream sell a windshield that's taller than the stock BMW one? I don't see it on there site.

http://shop.nationalcycle.com/perl/c...model=bm%2d073

Thanks
Here's a picture I found of the two of them side by side. Click here

HTH,
Jer

Jerry Palma
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'

post #10 of 15 Old Aug 17th, 2009, 7:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jers99lt
Here's a picture I found of the two of them side by side. Click here

HTH,
Jer
Jers,

Thank you for the pictures. The two windshield seems to be the exact same size. Is the windshield in the picture the tall stock or the standard stock? If it is the standard stock it should measure 17-1/4" top to bottom at the center ( which is the one I have ), while if it is the tall stock it should be 22".

I understand that the stock shield for newer LTs is taller than previous year's LTs. It is 22".
I would be wasting my money if I have to buy a Vstream shield of the same size as the one I have.

Thank you,

Pier

'87 K100LT
'00 Valkyrie I/S
'05 k1200LT

'03 KRS sold 2006
'04 R1150RT sold 2006
'03 K1200GT sold 2009
post #11 of 15 Old Aug 17th, 2009, 10:37 pm

Remember you are not considering the location of the mounting holes in the screen. You must lay one on top of the other, line up the mounting holes, then you can see if they are the same. Many riders say the V stream is 1-2 inches taller then the BMW, when mounted on the bike. Some dealers have demo V-streams so you can try it out.

"The idea is to die young as late as possible"

Barney Rubble (rider); Wilma Flintstone (pillion).
2000LTC CHAMPAGNE, Most prominent color at early CCR's
BMWMOA 89402
post #12 of 15 Old Aug 18th, 2009, 3:29 am
cws

Garage

If you had the shorter Euro screen, then there's a significant height difference, very noticeable at the lowest position of the screen, but I got used to it.

There's some comparative pics of both screens on my bike here in both low & high positions

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #13 of 15 Old Aug 18th, 2009, 9:57 am Thread Starter

Thanks all - I bought the VStream from A&S for $210, no taxes no shipping! I'll let you know how I like it

02 LT
post #14 of 15 Old Aug 18th, 2009, 10:17 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pier1
Jers,

Thank you for the pictures. The two windshield seems to be the exact same size. Is the windshield in the picture the tall stock or the standard stock? If it is the standard stock it should measure 17-1/4" top to bottom at the center ( which is the one I have ), while if it is the tall stock it should be 22".

I understand that the stock shield for newer LTs is taller than previous year's LTs. It is 22".
I would be wasting my money if I have to buy a Vstream shield of the same size as the one I have.

Thank you,

Pier
Pier,

Here is the thread from where I pulled the pix.

HTH,
Jer

Jerry Palma
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'

post #15 of 15 Old Aug 18th, 2009, 10:20 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveno
Thanks all - I bought the VStream from A&S for $210, no taxes no shipping! I'll let you know how I like it
Hope you also ordered the ROK straps for $0.00.

Jer

Jerry Palma
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in