RIDDING TIP Reminder - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Jan 30th, 2006, 5:57 am
JMeese

Smile RIDDING TIP Reminder

one good thing to avoid on your LT when you pull off the road make sure it is a flat area most roads have a slope where they have put berm stone could be only a small area then it may turn to a down slope and when you put your food down well not a good situation as a lot of us know and if it is loose gravel can be worst. just a reminder we all know this but sometimes forget or dont pay attention or may be following another bike,
Be Careful out there
J Meese
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Jan 30th, 2006, 2:02 pm
Rider Journeyman

similar experience..

I was riding along the Feather River, two-up. For those unfamiliar this road, it has stop lights in the middle of corners before the narrow bridges and being one of the better California roads, it is banked pretty well.

Keep in mind that I'm fairly tall....6'4" when you picture this. The light turns red and all seems good. I bring the LT to a stop and I put my left foot down and....nothing......air. The bike is beginning to lean, so I immediately slide my ass forward to the narrow part of the seat.... still nothing..... still just air. I slip my butt down the left side of the bike quickly searching for terra firma....got it!

If I wasn't tall and fairly strong we would have gone down for sure. Of course, if I was using that muscle between my ears and paying attention I could have leaned to right side at the stop. Then I could've been 5 foot nothing and touched down without any adrenaline rush at all.

Bill "Omaha"

"Life may have begun at 44, but it didn't get thrilling until I shot past 100"

'04 K1200LT "Dieter" Titan Silver, FB 4/23/04
'06 K1200R "Wolfgang" White Aluminum Metallic, FB 6/7/05

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
RCB AMA, BMWMOA, Booze Brother "in training"
CCR: '04 Breckenridge CO, '05 Jackson Lake Lodge WY, '06 Chateau Elan GA, '08 Midway UT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 3 Old Jan 30th, 2006, 4:11 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyOmaha
I was riding along the Feather River, two-up. For those unfamiliar this road, it has stop lights in the middle of corners before the narrow bridges and being one of the better California roads, it is banked pretty well.

Keep in mind that I'm fairly tall....6'4" when you picture this. The light turns red and all seems good. I bring the LT to a stop and I put my left foot down and....nothing......air. The bike is beginning to lean, so I immediately slide my ass forward to the narrow part of the seat.... still nothing..... still just air. I slip my butt down the left side of the bike quickly searching for terra firma....got it!

If I wasn't tall and fairly strong we would have gone down for sure. Of course, if I was using that muscle between my ears and paying attention I could have leaned to right side at the stop. Then I could've been 5 foot nothing and touched down without any adrenaline rush at all.
Here in San Francisco we have some street's with 30 to 40% grade where you have all steps where the sidewalks would be. One of my first rides I visited my friends place where he has a driveway which backing into the street gives you an instant 30% or more grade. I was scared to death as I backed by LT out in the reverse gear and had to turn on the grade and back up the slope. I'm 6'4" and had no chance to touch on my right side. On the left the road was up by the peg and if I had leaned right at all, the bike would be tumbling down "Hill" street!. Probably was not the best place for me to be getting familiar with the big beast. Anyway I made it, and could never have done it without that reverse gear.

Nate

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in