Windshield Fogging? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Aug 13th, 2009, 9:21 am Thread Starter

Windshield Fogging?

I know this may seem like a silly question, but has anyone else experience problems with their stock windshield fogging up? I ride to work (don't we all?) early in the morning, many times pre-dawn or just as the sun is coming up. My 30 mile route has areas lined by trees and bordered by cornfields and a pond or two, so there IS humidity out there. Most mornings, I end up getting a slight fogging over, but some mornings it's severe enough that I have to lower the windshield and look over it.
Any ideas?
I have never used anything on this windshield except plain water or Plexus, same as every other bike I have ever had.
The bike is an '05 and I have only had it about a month, but I ride it enough (5K so far) that this whole not being able to see thing is getting to be a pain, especially living in deer country.
If I replace it, any suggestions on an aftermarket windshield?

Thanks, Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Aug 13th, 2009, 9:34 am

Re: Windshield Fogging?

Sounds like you've removed the protective film from the shield ammonia based products strip the coating from the plastic. Not sure what to use to restore it.

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969
post #3 of 13 Old Aug 13th, 2009, 9:39 am

Wipe it down with denatured alcohol (available cheap at drugstores) works great. But it will come back. The newer BMW windshields dont seem to do this anymore. I finally bought a Cee Bailey windshield and love it. No fog, no distortions, less wind buffeting, and a crystal clear view.

Yes, I know about the impact safety aspect vs. the polycarbonate screens. I think that it is such a remote possibility that me seeing better ever day outweighs that aspect.

Wolfgang

K1200LT 1999 Champaign SOLD
R1100RS 1994 Teal SOLD
R1150RT 2003 Blue (Sold)
R1100RT 1997 Blue

Pest, Budapest Hungary

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness."
Mark Twain

post #4 of 13 Old Aug 13th, 2009, 10:19 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang
Wipe it down with denatured alcohol (available cheap at drugstores) works great. But it will come back. The newer BMW windshields dont seem to do this anymore. I finally bought a Cee Bailey windshield and love it. No fog, no distortions, less wind buffeting, and a crystal clear view.

Yes, I know about the impact safety aspect vs. the polycarbonate screens. I think that it is such a remote possibility that me seeing better ever day outweighs that aspect.
I have a Cee Bailey on my LT and also had one on the GS. I totalled the GS and the windshield shattered. There were some very sharp pieces. Thankfully I didn't fall on any of them. I'm going to leave the windshield on the LT and hope I don't wreck it, but I won't buy another Cee Bailey because of that.

Al Strickland
Blairsville, Georgia
1967 Honda Cub
1972 Honda CB350
1979 Suzuki GS750E
2001 R1150GS (gone -- victim of a Highway 28 curve)
2002 K1200LT Trike (now history, transmission died)
2009 R1200GS
2013 K1600GTL

2009 K1300GT
post #5 of 13 Old Aug 13th, 2009, 11:20 am
Lifetime Supporter

I use isopropyl alcohol on the inside of my shield, but that's for the "natural" fogging that occurs due to the protective film capturing it. This will help somewhat if you're riding through a cool, damp area, but may not be a final cure.
Obviously, I still use the original shield.

HTH,
Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #6 of 13 Old Aug 13th, 2009, 12:28 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for all the input....gives me much to think about. Structural integrity of the windshield is kind of a Big Deal to me. On our first 600 mile day on the bike I hit two birds at the same time, the first one going up and over and just missing my wifes helmet. I have have been riding since I was 10......first bird strike and it was a double....so maybe I appeased the Karma gods and I am safe for another 38 years? Not sure if I want to chance it or not.........
post #7 of 13 Old Aug 13th, 2009, 12:44 pm
Lifetime Supporter

If you scroll down a bit to "similar threads", there's more insight to be had on fogging.
My brother lives just outside of South Whitley. There's some nice empty roads out your way.

Have fun,
Jer

Jerry Palma
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #8 of 13 Old Aug 13th, 2009, 1:22 pm Thread Starter

Ahhhhh.....you must know of Indiana 5 that runs right through South Whitley and right by my house. I got my bike in Grand Rapids and I rode 5 home......chuckles & grins for miles........
Just started checking out the other threads. Thanks a bunch to everyone for their help and insight.
post #9 of 13 Old Aug 13th, 2009, 2:59 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by t61vance
Ahhhhh.....you must know of Indiana 5 that runs right through South Whitley and right by my house. I got my bike in Grand Rapids and I rode 5 home......chuckles & grins for miles........
Just started checking out the other threads. Thanks a bunch to everyone for their help and insight.
Yep, he's just East of town on I-5. Perfect for his liking.
I was at G.R. BMW last friday to have the rear tire changed. They seem to have a pretty thriving business there. Nice ride on M-196, except for some construction. The miles just fly by.

Jerry Palma
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'

post #10 of 13 Old Aug 13th, 2009, 4:35 pm

The scratch resistant coating on the stock BMW windshield will absorb moisture from the air, and when the temperature etc. are right, fogging occurs. It will normally go away when the temperature of the shield rises, but unfortunately, any additional coating, such as Plexus, tends to seal the moisture in and the fogging will be far more persistent.

Alcohol is very hygroscopic, which means that it will "grab" moisture vigorously, so rubbing the shield down with alcohol will pull the moisture out of the coating.

Note: Do not expect plain rubbing alcohol from the drugstore to do it very well because it is often only a few percent alcohol, the rest water. Denatured alcohol, or isopropyl alcohol that is a high percentage of alcohol works well.

The key is to NOT put any type of sealing coating on it!

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #11 of 13 Old Aug 13th, 2009, 11:46 pm

I mixed 50/50 paste wax and distilled water; mine doesn't fog-up.

Of course, we are in a drought here in Waco and I don't worry too much about humidity - but the windshield hasn't fogged up!

Avatar credit: Curtis Callaway, 2009
Rider of Stahlross
1999 Basalt Grey LT
2001 Classic Red Ducati 748
post #12 of 13 Old Aug 14th, 2009, 11:04 pm

Congrats on the new bike, I had the same problem with my windshield when I bought my 00, I got the denatured alcohol at walmart, after reading this forum, gave it a wipe down, and that solved the problem for me. I got a quart, and keep it around in case it does it again sometime. I live on Whidbey Island in Washington, and yes we do have humidity here....cool and humidity.

RICH CANNON
2000 K1200LT "a great ride"
2002 GL1800 powerful, but boring..(gone)
1979 XS1100 (gone)
1986 VT500 Ascot (gone)
1972 Honda 500-4 (gone)
1961 Lambretta (way gone)
1962 Allstate Compact (gone but not forgotten)
post #13 of 13 Old Aug 15th, 2009, 8:09 pm
SEG

Check out Black Lab, they sell "All Kleer," which works great cleaning the the windshield, without the risk of fogging. The suggestions provided earlier in this thread are cheaper solutions, but you might want to try All Keer. I've been using it for the last 25K miles and it has worked like a charm, in below freezing temps to high temps/high humidity. I'll use Plexus on the tupperware portion of the LT, but never on the windshield. Good luck.
Scott

- 2009 LT
- BMW MOA #92950
- BMW RA #41621
- IBA #35299

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in