I totalled my bike, help needed. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old Aug 12th, 2009, 6:09 pm Thread Starter

I totalled my bike, help needed.

I got into an accident last week and am on con leave now. Well it is an 05 with 24k miles and they deemed it totaled and are trying to give me NADA of $10.5k. We all now I can't buy one for that, so any help on this is appreciated. I have been on Cycle Trader. Any more tips and links to 05's is great. Thanks

05 LT
Marine Engineering Officer
US Army
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old Aug 12th, 2009, 6:38 pm

Re: I totalled my bike, help needed.

Sorry to hear about the crash.

There's a 2005 on ebay right now in IL with a buy it now of 11.3.

There's also a gold one from MaxBMW. It is probably too much, their site says $14.9 so the reserve is probably $13.9. That's in NH so more accessible to VA.

Maybe ebay's not your thing, but I just got my 2003 from MaxBMW and it was a good experience.

Good luck.

Bob Pond
2009 K1200LT
potius sero quam nunquam
post #3 of 26 Old Aug 12th, 2009, 6:52 pm

Exclamation Re: I totalled my bike, help needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimePower
I got into an accident last week and am on con leave now. Well it is an 05 with 24k miles and they deemed it totaled and are trying to give me NADA of $10.5k. We all now I can't buy one for that, so any help on this is appreciated. I have been on Cycle Trader. Any more tips and links to 05's is great. Thanks

see this thread:
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47028

i totalled my '05 in May 09 and had to refuse State Farm twice before they came up with a better offer. don't take the first offer if it offends you, i didn't.

tell your insurance company to do more research, and get you more money.

Mark Conlogue
MCSE, MCT
CEH (Certified Ethical Hacker)
CBCP

I take Life with a grain of salt......and a slice of lime and a shot of Tequila
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

20 grand & 2K miles don't make you a biker
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I COULD TELL THEY WERE BIKERS,
IT SAID "LIVE TO RIDE" ON THEIR TRAILER

post #4 of 26 Old Aug 12th, 2009, 7:08 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Sorry man. I don't know if the west coast is too far for you, but check craig'slist in the "San Francisco area". That's where I found mine (LT, that is) and I've seen several red hot prices ( or at least they appear to be ). Usually about every 2 or 3 months.
post #5 of 26 Old Aug 12th, 2009, 7:16 pm

Never take their first offer...play up the Farkles you have added and show them the high prices being asked for replacements.

Ron

747,891 miles on touring motorcycles since 1990

IBA 45658 MOA167437

2000 LTC 90,600 miles KIA (new)
2003 LTE 164,188 miles Silver (Purchased with 1687)
2008 R1200RT 176,196 miles (Purchased with 16458)
2017 R1200RT 96,669miles (new)
Total BMW miles 509,508
1982 GL1100 rode 84108 miles (bought with 12012 sold 96120)
1988 GL1500 rode 12067 miles (bought with 19893 totaled 31960)
1989 GL1500 rode 142208 miles (bought with 20302 sold 162510)
Goldwing miles 238,383
post #6 of 26 Old Aug 12th, 2009, 7:27 pm

Get on E-Bay and look at the "completed auctions" for K1200LT's. These are actual E-Bay sales of LT's. Show the actual documentation of sold LT's to your insurance company; they can't really argue with bonafide sales as opposed to NADA book value which is nothing more than a poll of dealer's best guesses of what a vehicle might sell for.

Quote:
post #7 of 26 Old Aug 12th, 2009, 7:40 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for all of your help. I tried the ebay and it only brought up 4 05's, 2 of which didn't sell. I meet with them on friday and have 5 listings off cycletrader all going my way. Well see. I mean, what is my recourse though. Do I have to take them to court if they refuse to go up? That would be more costly. Thanks

05 LT
US Army
post #8 of 26 Old Aug 12th, 2009, 8:24 pm

Well, I logged on to NADA and got 12,300 as the average retail for the 2005 LT with all the standards checked. Like ABS, cruise, fairing, bags, truck ect.
So tell them to try again, they are about 2K low on there offer and that before covering any extras for you.

Good Luck

John & Cathy
Northern CA
01 K1200LTC Basalt - Moose

Posse #2

If you don't know where you're going, you might end up somewhere else
post #9 of 26 Old Aug 12th, 2009, 8:35 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Remember the check will be the Total amount LESS your deductable. So... What is your Deductable? That may be part of the reason for a LOWER check amount.

Stevie Shreeve
post #10 of 26 Old Aug 12th, 2009, 8:43 pm

see if you can find a good replacement.. tell them.. "put it in my driveway".
post #11 of 26 Old Aug 13th, 2009, 9:29 am

Don't forget to add your safety gear,
(depending on your insurance company)

State Farm replaced my helmets
but would not pay for mesh jackets etc.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #12 of 26 Old Aug 13th, 2009, 9:54 am

What insurance do you have? I totalled my bike a couple of months ago. The insurance company (Dairyland) didn't give me as much for the bike as I wanted, but they did use the price for a comparable bike from the local BMW dealer (BMW Motorcycles of Atlanta) and added the cost of farkles depreciated for the age of the bike. I argued with them about this (unsucessfully) because the farkles weren't as old as the bike. They paid me for my helmets and riding gear at replacement cost less depreciation. Reasonable I thought. They also reimbursed me over $300 for towing.

Al Strickland
Blairsville, Georgia
1967 Honda Cub
1972 Honda CB350
1979 Suzuki GS750E
2001 R1150GS (gone -- victim of a Highway 28 curve)
2002 K1200LT Trike (now history, transmission died)
2009 R1200GS
2013 K1600GTL

2009 K1300GT
post #13 of 26 Old Aug 13th, 2009, 12:10 pm

Quote:

according to your post in June when I totalled my bike, you had purchased this one for $11.5k or so within the "last month". why is $10.5k out of line considering your purchase price? did you add any additional farkles?

May 29th, 2009, 11:54 pm
PrimePower
Senior Member Join Date: Apr 2009

Re: 2005 Lt State Farm offer on Total

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I agree thats low and I hope you get what you want. But I purchased my 05 a month ago and paid $11.5k

Mark Conlogue
MCSE, MCT
CBCP

post #14 of 26 Old Aug 13th, 2009, 3:12 pm Thread Starter

Good question. I did add farkles but I'm not adding that in, that is under a separate policy. I find it irrelevant what I paid. If I paid $20k or $11.5k they still are going to offer the same amount. I believe I found a great deal (on ebay) and it is not about what I paid but what it is worth. I found five on cycletrader and going off of them with my mileage $13.5k is fair. I don't believe it matters what I paid and if I get a deal or get hosed it makes no difference come time to sell.

05 LT
US Army
post #15 of 26 Old Aug 13th, 2009, 5:42 pm

I hate to rain on anyone's parade, but I think that you will have a difficult time getting much more for the bike when there are several on E-bay that are comparable in mileage and model year going for great 'buy it now' prices.

I bought my house at a great price 3 years ago. The county feels that it's worth $80k more than I paid for it. I doubt that the current market will draw the county's price should I attempt to sell it. I would be happy to get what I paid for it.

Un-like a house, most vehicle insurers do not operate on replacement costs and simply go by the book value. I think that your best option would be to throw the amount of your deductible at them by way of cashier's check and demand that they deliver one to your driveway within one week.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-K...Q5fmotorcycles

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chad Albrecht
2002 Chartreuse Yellow and Black BMW K1200LT Tickets
post #16 of 26 Old Aug 13th, 2009, 6:07 pm Thread Starter

I didn't see that one. But $11.5k is the buy it now. Better than $10.5k. Do I have the option of them finding me a suitable replacement? I am considering the Victory Vision for a few reasons.

05 LT
US Army
post #17 of 26 Old Aug 13th, 2009, 6:51 pm

Well, that's a different story. You may need to take the cash if you're switching teams. Nobody totals a Porche and asks the insurance company to buy them a Honda. You would be setting an unwelcome precedence. Next thing you know, the insurance companies will be parking mopeds in our driveways when they total out our luxury tourers.

Nobody blames you for trying to get as much as you can for your bike, I'm just pointing out that your bike can be replaced for nearly the same amount that they are offering you if you still want to go that route.

In no way should you expect the insurance companies to fully fund a purchase of a newer make and model bike just because you felt that the BMW was a greater value. They won't do that.

Good Luck

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chad Albrecht
2002 Chartreuse Yellow and Black BMW K1200LT Tickets
post #18 of 26 Old Aug 13th, 2009, 7:26 pm

Quote:
Good question. I did add farkles but I'm not adding that in, that is under a separate policy. I find it irrelevant what I paid. If I paid $20k or $11.5k they still are going to offer the same amount. I believe I found a great deal (on ebay) and it is not about what I paid but what it is worth. I found five on cycletrader and going off of them with my mileage $13.5k is fair. I don't believe it matters what I paid and if I get a deal or get hosed it makes no difference come time to sell.

I "chose" to take the SF offer of $12,862.50 and apply that to a new '09 LT. I still had to pay the difference on the 20k+. all I am saying is that they (the insurance co.) will only get you so far on but not over NADA/BB value.

BTW, I had 72,000 miles on my '05, bought brand new in Sept of '04.

Mark Conlogue
MCSE, MCT
CBCP

post #19 of 26 Old Aug 13th, 2009, 7:56 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mconlogue
I "chose" to take the SF offer of $12,862.50 and apply that to a new '09 LT. I still had to pay the difference on the 20k+. all I am saying is that they (the insurance co.) will only get you so far on but not over NADA/BB value.

BTW, I had 72,000 miles on my '05, bought brand new in Sept of '04.
I had about 24k on mine, so if you got $12.8k I think $13k is fair. I'm not asking them to get me a Victory. I was asking can I request them to get me a BMW of the same year and similar? I didn't know that was an option.

I didn't say why I crashed, but to be nice I need a bike with more legroom and the Victory has it. I loved my BMW and it ruined my day when I was told it was totaled. I got almost no sleep last night. But I need a bike with more legroom without lowering the pegs. I am going to school for about the next year and it is imperative to my career I pass. So I am debating on waiting 1-1.5 years before buying a bike again. Don't know if I can wait that long, but this crash made me realize it can happen any time and my career cannot afford that. I cannot miss any school time for any reason. Plus by waiting the Victory gets ABS plus a few other upgrades from the current version. Don't get me wrong, love the beamer but it may not be the best for me. I'll know more tomorrow when I go sit on a Victory just to get the feel. Thanks for all of the help, I have enjoyed this club. You never know, I might see one for a steal and be right back into it.

05 LT
US Army
post #20 of 26 Old Aug 13th, 2009, 10:17 pm

Quote:
You may be able to remove the farkles you added and sell them separately. They are not part of the bike, unless they are a replacement piece (such as a custom seat) and you no longer have the original to put back on for the insurance.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #21 of 26 Old Aug 14th, 2009, 10:09 am

Try Cycletrader.com also. I have the same bike, 05 lt with 24k on it. Sorry about you crash, good hunting!
post #22 of 26 Old Aug 14th, 2009, 10:53 am Thread Starter

I go to meet with the insurance today. After I show them higher priced similar bikes, if they dont budge what are my options?. Thanks

05 LT
US Army
post #23 of 26 Old Aug 14th, 2009, 11:17 am

I can't tell you how to handle it..

For me, I would "walk softly and carry a big stick".. If you think worth taking to court, that might be a "stick"....

Respectful dialog usually wins.... but, keep your "options" open... you only want them to put you back where you were before the accident..... so, let them buy the replacement.... That is the contract you have with them.
post #24 of 26 Old Aug 14th, 2009, 4:14 pm

post #25 of 26 Old Aug 17th, 2009, 9:41 am

When my wife totalled her car a few years ago, the insurance adjuster tried to low ball me. So we haggelled for a week over the small sum that he offered. Finally He and I were trying to come to terms when I made the comment of (This sounds like a BAD FAITH offer). Well in about 15 minutes He come up to the amount that I stood my ground on and wrote the check out. I hope this helps with your negotiations. You don't have to take what they offer, Their job is to pay as little as possible.
post #26 of 26 Old Aug 17th, 2009, 7:55 pm Thread Starter

I came prepared last friday thanks to this club and brought evidence that their offer is low. Should have a counter by wednesday. Purchased an 09 Victory Vision tour premium over the net. Should have it in about 3 weeks. I liked the bmw but couldn't get it to fit me safely. This is a great club for a great bike. I appreciate all the help I received here and hope I contributed a little. I'll keep my eye out on the road for you guys.

05 LT
US Army

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in