Anyone done business with Russell Cycle Products for the K12LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old Aug 12th, 2009, 1:12 pm Thread Starter

Anyone done business with Russell Cycle Products for the K12LT

I'm wondering if they are still in business I've called several times and have sent emails with no response from either, So barring buying a custom saddle from them who has a good product at around the same price point. I've seen several names bandied about hoping someone has some insight on a couple manufactures.

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old Aug 12th, 2009, 1:35 pm

Re: Anyone done business with Russell Cycle Products for the K12LT

Russell is very much in business. They are probably at Sturgis or on their way back. W got one for her ride (non-LT) and absolutely loves it. No butt burn, no back trouble (got the optional backrest). And, yes, they do LT seats. All work is custom. Satisfaction guaranteed,etc.

Jim Taylor
Minneapolis
07 Black LT "Dancing Heart", 03 Quantum "Ice"
02 Black LTC "Raven" (RIP 8/26/06)
08 Can-Am Spyder (hers) (#731)
post #3 of 17 Old Aug 12th, 2009, 1:42 pm Thread Starter

Forgot about that...............Ok I'll give it a bit more time for a response. I like the look of their seats in the photo gallery LOL which is the only reason why I'm asking about them.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969

post #4 of 17 Old Aug 12th, 2009, 4:24 pm

http://www.day-long.com/ is their URL.

I have one of their seats and the back-rest. Love the seat. I got it for the 99 and transplanted it to the 08.

Nice folks to do business with.

The only mistake I made was to get all leather. I should have stayed with Vinyl. Now I worry abou getting the leather wet when I ride in the rain....

Sleepwalker
2008 K1200LT New Ride

1999 K1200LT (sold)
1992 K75 (sold)
1991 K1 (sold)
post #5 of 17 Old Aug 12th, 2009, 4:58 pm

I had my seat done, love it.
Here is the address of what I use on the seat....
Don't worry about getting wet if you keep it in shape.
# www.skidmores.com
little_jake
post #6 of 17 Old Aug 12th, 2009, 7:05 pm

they are out of the shop this week (and last too, I think). I have emailed them twice in the past two weeks and got responses the next day. I have a ride in appointment in October and they they have been very responsive in setting up the appointment and answering all my questions....
post #7 of 17 Old Aug 12th, 2009, 7:15 pm

Funny they wouldn't set up a auto respnse in their email saying they are out of town etc

Warm & Safe Heated Clothing Sale- Lowest Prices!!

Contact Me.

post #8 of 17 Old Aug 12th, 2009, 9:05 pm

There is a group buy going on now as we speak. They are offering 20% off the total order if they get over 50 orders, which I just received an email that they did. This will happen in November. There is also a recent post on this on Aug. 9th in the Ergonomic and Rider Comfort forum. Sorry I don't know how to post a link

Hope this helps save you some $$ !!

2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
post #9 of 17 Old Aug 12th, 2009, 9:53 pm

Russell? Oh yea!

Great seat and great folks to do business with. They know their stuff. Love the seat!
post #10 of 17 Old Aug 12th, 2009, 11:05 pm

Russel is in my opinion the best seat available...

This is definately their busy time of the year... So try to be patient..

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #11 of 17 Old Aug 13th, 2009, 8:24 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardenross
Russell? Oh yea!

Great seat and great folks to do business with. They know their stuff. Love the seat!
Russell saddles are +1 in my book too!.......
Just noticing.....I see the wife dosen't have the Russell under her!

kk610lt
2007 K 1200 LT
2004 R 1150 GS Adventure
2002 K 1200 LT (totaled by a SUV 10-7-08)
1988 Concours
Why do bullets bounce off of Superman, but he ducks when you throw a gun at him?
post #12 of 17 Old Aug 13th, 2009, 8:58 am Thread Starter

LOL Ya what's up with that??

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk610lt
Russell saddles are +1 in my book too!.......
Just noticing.....I see the wife dosen't have the Russell under her!

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969
post #13 of 17 Old Aug 13th, 2009, 9:08 am

Quote:
Russel is in my opinion the best seat available...
Was thinking about this and didn't give our good friend Ron at KonTour seats any consideration.

I have never ridden one of his seats but I understand they are very comfortable ass well.

Like Butt-ahh...

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #14 of 17 Old Aug 13th, 2009, 7:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kra961
LOL Ya what's up with that??

Yuck, Yuck, Yuck there Curly. You and KK-Whatever are sure nosey sons-of-a-gun.

1. Blue Eyes is a petite lightweight, stock seat don't bother her.
2. She don't want one. What wifey wants, wifey gets.
3. She would rather put the $ in deck furniture.

So what's so dang funny?
post #15 of 17 Old Aug 16th, 2009, 2:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kra961
I'm wondering if they are still in business I've called several times and have sent emails with no response from either, So barring buying a custom saddle from them who has a good product at around the same price point. I've seen several names bandied about hoping someone has some insight on a couple manufactures.
I'm on my third Russell seat, One on a R80RT (125k), an R1100RT(47k) and now my K1200LT(110k). The LT set is the best of all three, don't know why. I live in Florida and have put the small square design vinyl on them. The small squares breath and the vinyl stands up to the rain. I guess I'm saying that Russell seats are the best in my opinion.
post #16 of 17 Old Aug 16th, 2009, 6:52 pm
SEG

I have a custom seat on the LT from Rich's Saddles in the Seattle area, but I've had three Russell Day-Long saddles on other bikes (2 Moto Guzzis and a K 1200 RS). The Day-Long's were great and didn't go with them this time because they tend to raise the rider's position a bit and with a short inseam, I couldn't afford to lose the reach to the ground on the LT. Also, the Day-Long's stitch their seats and is designed (unless they've changed their design over the past five years) to breath, which is great, but means they can leak like a sieve in the rain. I wanted to give Rich's a chance and I'm satisfied. I'm not sure if it is as comfortable for the 800 plus mile days, but it's very close, and I don't have to carry around the darn rain cover. I have 150K plus miles on Day-Long saddles and only 25K on the Rich saddle. You can't go wrong with the Day-Long saddle. However take a look at Rich's website. Good luck.
Scott

- 2009 LT
- BMW MOA #92950
- BMW RA #41621
- IBA #35299
post #17 of 17 Old Aug 16th, 2009, 7:15 pm

I had Russell make me a seat for my GSA, had the heated option installed. I have had to send it back once for a loose stitch repair, they have replaced the heat switch once, and now the switch won't stay in place, it pops out every time I use the seat.

The seat is comfortable, but I've been less than thrilled with quality control.

They modify your original seat pan, so when you have to send it back for repair, the bike is down, or you order a Corbin to ride on while Russell has your seat.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in