After 600 mile service - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Aug 12th, 2009, 12:23 pm Thread Starter

After 600 mile service

I am getting my bike back tomorrow from the 600 mile service. The manual says to vary rpm's and not to go over 4000 rpm for the first 600 miles, and after that you can increase the rpm's, but they don't say how much. I assume they dont want you to redline it but not sure where i can take it to. What do you think? Also can I take it on the highway yet and not have to worry about steady speeds any longer?

Thanks,
Ken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Aug 12th, 2009, 12:33 pm

Re: After 600 mile service

Ride it like you stole it. Don't worry about it anymore and ride. The governor will kick in before read line.

Tom Ress
Great White North
Minnesota
Canyon Red 2000

You have to grow up to have a mid-life crisis!!!!!

I could play with women or with cars, I find cars are cheaper and you can write a book about cars a guy would understand.
post #3 of 6 Old Aug 12th, 2009, 12:46 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I still varied my speed and gradually increased the top RPM level as I progressed my way up to 1,000 miles. Then I just hammered it. I have 50K on it now and no issues.

I did break in my new GS a bit differently with hard acceleration/deacceleration but stayed below the RPM limits during the first 25 miles, then I just rode it normal IAW the recommended break in by BMW. Very little oil usage on the R.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 Old Aug 12th, 2009, 12:51 pm

I drove it a bit harder after the 600 mile I now have 3K on it and have only once taken it past 7K. I would say enjoy it but don't abuse it and everything will be fine.

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969
post #5 of 6 Old Aug 12th, 2009, 5:10 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies.
Ken
post #6 of 6 Old Aug 12th, 2009, 5:37 pm

Took my LT out and ran it, easy at first up to 4k.. a "roll on" to 1/2 throttle then used engine and brake deceleration to slow.. then roll back up again... in first gear... after about 2 miles of this, I started using second gear for 3 miles... speed up, slow down.

I went up to 4th gear then 5th for a "cruise"... to cool things off for 2 miles, .... then work my way down to first again... by that time the bike was at "operating temp"...

Next, I rolled on Full Throttle" up to 5k, then rolled off for 1-5th gear.

I did this on the a back road...of course.

This was done for 20 miles .. speed up, slow down. After that, I just rode it...

I'm at 32k now and it's just getting better!

I've broken many motors in like this.. and it works for the gears, brakes, etc, etc...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in