New radio wiring question - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Aug 11th, 2009, 3:45 am Thread Starter

New radio wiring question

I need the help of some of the LT wiring experts please. I purchased a sony cdxm60ui marine unit to replace my broken radio. The wiring is pretty straight forward but I'm confused about a couple of things. I am using my wiring diagram from the clymer manual and even though I have a 2001, I think my radio is wired like the 1999-2000 model. I came to that conclusion because I don't have the wire shown going from a frequency converter to the radio.

My question is concerning some of the wires going from the LCD display to the radio. There is a wire that goes between the two with a connection from the load relief relay. There is a wire that goes between the two with a connection to fuse block two.
There is a wire that goes between the two that has a connection to the diagnostic plug.
There are two wires that go between the two with connections to the neg and pos of the battery.

Can I just leave the plug that goes to the LCD display as is, cut the radio plug off and use those wires to connect the new radio? I assume the circuit board in the LCD had something to do with the fuse in block 2, the load relief relay and the diagnostic plug. Do I need to worry about those?

There is also a wire that goes from the speedometer to the radio. I assume that was used to reduce the volume when slowing down so I guess I just cut that and tape it off? Again, I am assuming the radio must have had some circuit in it to handle that signal. That would be a good function to have but I don't see any way to make that work with the new radio.

I hate to try trial and error with this because I don't want to blow something up. Your help here would be greatly appreciated. In case anyone is looking for a replacement stereo, I bought this from Pacific Stereo for 152.95. The shipping was free and it took 4 days to get to me.

Thanks in advance,
Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Aug 11th, 2009, 10:39 am

Re: New radio wiring question

Dave, You're only the second person I know that has tried this upgrade. I'm hoping the other individual that did this will chime in. I'm sorry that I can't be of any help.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bmwlt.com lately????

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #3 of 5 Old Aug 11th, 2009, 12:28 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

You can pretty much cap off all those lines from the display. Since you won't be using any of that original functionality.

Biggest thing is re-use the speaker connections and power. The original radio was fed both from switched and unswitched power.

Other than that press on and give us all a nice report with pictures when you are done.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #4 of 5 Old Aug 11th, 2009, 1:15 pm

hi, yes i've done this conversion and is working fine ,i used a radio adaptor harness for a BMW 3 series (think it was a 17 pin type the info i got from this site) radio,i disconnected the multi-plug to the display and taped it up the only thing i had to do was take an ignition controled feed off that plug to allow the radio to only work when the ignition is on .
if you have any other probs just ask and i'll try to help you out .

Keith
post #5 of 5 Old Aug 13th, 2009, 12:36 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the answers guys, you were spot on.

I wired the radio tonight and it works perfect, sounds great, picks up more stations and the stations that were a little scratchy before come in very clear. My daughter took my camera to Florida for two weeks so no pics. Wasn't much to see anyway because I just replaced the radio so the display unit is still stock. This radio came with a wireless remote but I think that is going to be useless after I put the tupperware back on. I will probably order a wired remote in a couple of weeks so I will post pics after I do that mod. Don't think the sony remote is going to fit as nicely as the Jensen's I have seen but I think I can figure something out. I went with the sony because the remote is IPX7 and in addition to the stereo being compatable with the IPOD it also has a USB connection.

Some tips for those who are going to add an after market stereo:

While you still have power, eject your cd cartridge. You may be able to cut the end off of a unibus cable(sony) and fiddle with trying to connect it to the wiring from the cd changer and make it work but I don't think china talks to germany very well.

You will need to buy an extension for the antenna cable because the BMW extension that comes from the side of the gas tank has a non standard fitting going into the old radio. I ran up to O'rielly's and picked one up for $3.80.

Test your power, balance and fade before soldering and putting the heat shrink on. I just slid the heatshrink on to keep the connections from touching each other while I tested.

Like Keith said, you only need one wire from the display plug for the fused power. All the rest come from the radio plug. I just cut that plug off and connected wires from the plug from the new stereo in the same space to try and keep things as waterproof as possible. Didn't have to cut any holes in the housing or do any mods to the new radio to make it fit. I did have to make the hole in the rubber grommet for the antenna cable a little bigger to get the head in but I just put a little dab of silicone around it.

I haven't done it yet but I think to run the USB cable out the front of the unit I will just drill a small hole in the rubber gasket to keep that water proof too. The old gasket fit perfectly around this radio so I could use the original metal strap across the top to hold everything in place.

Can't think of anything else. Pretty straight forward for sure. If you decide to go with an after market let me know if you have any questions. Anyone need a good deal on a cd changer?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in