differences between OB computer and speedometer - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Aug 9th, 2009, 1:05 pm Thread Starter

Question differences between OB computer and speedometer

I just returned from a cross country trip on my 2003 LT. I noticed a couple of things
a) the average speed on the OB after resetting is about 10kph less than the speedometer Which is right? Can either be recalibrated?
b) the L/100km reading somtimes appears 'stuck' and shows a reading that's out to lunch. Way too low.
c) the kms left on the remaining gas seems a bit optimistic. How does it do the calculation?

I tried searching but couldn't find the answers. Maybe somewhere someone has explained it all?

Wayne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Aug 9th, 2009, 2:25 pm

Re: differences between OB computer and speedometer

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynejones
I just returned from a cross country trip on my 2003 LT. I noticed a couple of things
a) the average speed on the OB after resetting is about 10kph less than the speedometer Which is right? Can either be recalibrated?
b) the L/100km reading somtimes appears 'stuck' and shows a reading that's out to lunch. Way too low.
c) the kms left on the remaining gas seems a bit optimistic. How does it do the calculation?

I tried searching but couldn't find the answers. Maybe somewhere someone has explained it all?

Wayne
Yes, the speedometer on pre 2005 LT's can be calibrated, many posts here over the years, some with pictures on how to do it. It requires removing the speedometer module from the instrument panel and soldering two jumpers on the printed circuit board, one between the two solder pads labled JB, another between the pads labeled JC. This only affects the speedometer, not the odometer.

There is a procedure for calibrating the BC computer mileage calculation. Right now I do not remember where to find it. I am sure someone will come up with it.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #3 of 4 Old Aug 9th, 2009, 2:40 pm

HERE is one thread with pictures.

HERE is the section in the Hall of wisdom that has three different threads on speedometer accuracy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#32756 -
'12
FLTRU Ember Red Sunglo (
)
'05
R1200GS Desert Yellow (
)
'00
K1200LTC Canyon Red (
) - Retired 10/2012
----------------------------------------------
'02
FLSTC Custom (
)
For bike shows, parades, Taco Thursdays and local rides on sunny days only.

post #4 of 4 Old Aug 9th, 2009, 2:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
There is a procedure for calibrating the BC computer mileage calculation. Right now I do not remember where to find it. I am sure someone will come up with it.
It's right here.

67-4speed
99-5speed
Lone Star State

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in