Farewell my friends I am off - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old Aug 9th, 2009, 12:50 pm Thread Starter

Farewell my friends I am off

I wanted to say thank you to all who helped me during my run with the LT. The run is over however as I traded in the LT on Friday for another bike on Friday. While I found riding the LT to be OK, I never really did get into it like y'all. Maybe it was that dang stock seat, but I just could not get comfortable. It sure is a great bike though and I wish all of you the best.

I would specifically like to thank Jay Zieler and Sheldan for their help while I was working on the bike. I would not have enjoyed it nearly as much had I not had your help.

I do have some leftover stuff from the LT I will be selling. I will list this on the classifieds as well, but If y'all don't mind I thought I would put it here as well. Hopefully some of y'all can put these things to good use:

Beemer bags - the whole set. Both side cases (With the CD changer), top case and rack mounted bag (no rain cover) - $200.
6 pack of unopened Bosh oil filters and crush washer set (from Beemer boneyard) - $30
Set of four new Bosch Sparkplugs - $20
two sets of Front brake pads (Galfer moel EBC FA294) - $40 for both or $20/pair (these are opened but not used - I used them as spacers earlier this year when I changed the wheel circuit).
Beemer Boneyard brake fluid funnel for flush (used once) - $40
New Front Battle Ax tire (straight from SW Moto) - $75
Shop manual CD (Real deal in the case. This is for the 1999 to 2004 model because the dealer gave me the wrong one when I bought the bike) $50

PM me if you are interested or have questions.

Good luck and keep the shiny side up!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old Aug 9th, 2009, 12:59 pm

Re: Farewell my friends I am off

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowoc
I traded in the LT on Friday for another bike on Friday.
So...uh................what didja get (on Friday)???
We may need pics too.

BC
MOA 144103

1971 Yahama 250 (Yep that's an old two cycle street bike)
1972 Yamaha 350 (also a 2 cycle street)

1973 Yamaha 750
1983 Honda Shadow 500
2005 BMW 1200LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 24 Old Aug 9th, 2009, 1:14 pm Thread Starter

I got a fine V-Twin american made motorcycle.

No, not that manufacturer - I got a Honda VTX.

I bought the 1800 CC "touring" model. I have some work ahead of me as I am going to convert it into a true interstate touring bike. I am looking forward to it as there are plenty of parts lying around to make the conversion.

The bike is not quite as stable as the LT at high speeds, but the motor is just as solid. The mainenance is easier too. I think I may miss the 90+ MPH cruising on the LT, but I don't think I will miss that complicated maintenance.

post #4 of 24 Old Aug 9th, 2009, 1:21 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Just because you DO NOT have the LT, DOES NOT mean you have to go away. Many folks here do not even have a BMW anymore & still visit.

Stevie Shreeve
post #5 of 24 Old Aug 9th, 2009, 1:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn
Uh............I thought that 2

BC
MOA 144103

1971 Yahama 250 (Yep that's an old two cycle street bike)
1972 Yamaha 350 (also a 2 cycle street)

1973 Yamaha 750
1983 Honda Shadow 500
2005 BMW 1200LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 24 Old Aug 9th, 2009, 2:19 pm

Quote:
Just because you DO NOT have the LT, DOES NOT mean you have to go away. Many folks here do not even have a BMW anymore & still visit.
+1 on what Steve says.

Have fun with that big Honda, and don't be a stranger.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #7 of 24 Old Aug 9th, 2009, 4:26 pm Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I always admired your devotion to your machines. I have never ridden a more stable motorcycle at speed in my life. I just can't belive that for 24k they can't get a comfortable seat on the dang thing.

I will post some pictures shortly as I am cleaning out my garage today.
post #8 of 24 Old Aug 9th, 2009, 4:34 pm

Hope you like the seat on the honda...

D.Kinsey
Santa Fe, Tx.
15 R1200RT
13 Ducati Panigale Tricolore

12 Ducati Diavel Carbon(SOLD)
08 K1200LT (born 12/19/07)(SOLD)

09 Triumph Sprint ST...RED(SOLD)
00 K1200LT Custom Painted(SOLD)
post #9 of 24 Old Aug 9th, 2009, 4:56 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Kinsey
Hope you like the seat on the honda...
I know the seat on my last Honda (2002 750 Shadow ACE) was VERY bad. I never road more then 200 mile at a time on it because of it.

Stevie Shreeve
post #10 of 24 Old Aug 9th, 2009, 6:05 pm

If you change the seat on the VTX, make sure you check out Mustang. They make a wonderful touring seat for most cruisers. It has a nice pocket to sit in and it's a nice looking seat for a fair price. Maybe we'll see you in Colorado some day. I love riding the Rockies...............

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.
post #11 of 24 Old Aug 9th, 2009, 6:27 pm
Gold Supporter

Quote:

As much as it pains me to say this...I have to agree with Stevie ...I am not riding a BMW anymore and they still let me in to play.

I always switched to Corbin seats on my Wings, continued the practice on my HD, both my LT's, and again on my current HD. None of the factory seats seem to work for me.

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #12 of 24 Old Aug 9th, 2009, 8:39 pm

Quote:
I wanted to say thank you to all who helped me during my run with the LT. The run is over however as I traded in the LT on Friday for another bike on Friday. While I found riding the LT to be OK, I never really did get into it like y'all. Maybe it was that dang stock seat, but I just could not get comfortable. It sure is a great bike though and I wish all of you the best.

I would specifically like to thank Jay Zieler and Sheldan for their help while I was working on the bike. I would not have enjoyed it nearly as much had I not had your help.

I do have some leftover stuff from the LT I will be selling. I will list this on the classifieds as well, but If y'all don't mind I thought I would put it here as well. Hopefully some of y'all can put these things to good use:

Beemer bags - the whole set. Both side cases (With the CD changer), top case and rack mounted bag (no rain cover) - $200.
6 pack of unopened Bosh oil filters and crush washer set (from Beemer boneyard) - $30
two sets of Front brake pads (Galfer moel EBC FA294) - $40 for both or $20/pair (these are opened but not used - I used them as spacers earlier this year when I changed the wheel circuit).
Shop manual CD (Real deal in the case. This is for the 1999 to 2004 model because the dealer gave me the wrong one when I bought the bike) $50

I'll take the front brake pads
post #13 of 24 Old Aug 9th, 2009, 9:31 pm

Your title line says it all!!!!!!!!!!!! :Farewell my friends, I am off"

You have friends here who have helped you because of WHO you are - not WHAT you ride. I have always believed that the greatest assets of this site are the people, not the machines.

Granted, similar circumstances regarding vehicle ownership may have facilitated the gathering of these personalities. Their individual traits defined if they would be liked, or only tolerated by those on the site. You seem to me to be one of the ones who is liked, and I hope you will stay in touch to let us know how the move to the VTX works out for you.

Regardless, I wish you all the best with the new bike, and I hope it turns out to be everything you desire in a ride.

Stay safe,

John

BMWMOA #126325
2003 K1200LT- The Brown Buffalo
2000 VLX - The wife's
1999 Concours - Plum Crazy
1998 KX 250 + 4 others

Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is mystery,
Today is a gift from God......
That's why they call it "the present".
post #14 of 24 Old Aug 9th, 2009, 9:37 pm Thread Starter

I am sorry for the delay in getting back to all of you - my home network crashed today as well.

I had to replace my router since it stopped working as advertised.

First let me thank all of you for your kindness. I likely will hand around as I do admire the love of the LT you folks have. If I ever get it back I will buy another one - just not new. That depreciation hit really hurts.

I do have to change out the seat on the honda. Fortunately the bike was only 8k not 20k. It might seem trivial but I dont have as much of an issue on a 8k bike as I do on a 20k bike.

I am using a guy named allen at Mean City Cycles. If y'all are looking for a competent seat fix for the stock seat I have to recommend allen. I have had another seat done already, and they only run from $40 to $150 plus shipping. He does first rate work in my book and he will get both my seat and the passenger pillion for the new ride.

BTW, I sold a bunch of stuff today before the crash. The remaining list is below:

I will post some pictures of the new ride tomorrow.
post #15 of 24 Old Aug 9th, 2009, 9:38 pm

I also sent a PM on some of the items.

John

BMWMOA #126325
2003 K1200LT- The Brown Buffalo
2000 VLX - The wife's
1999 Concours - Plum Crazy
1998 KX 250 + 4 others

Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is mystery,
Today is a gift from God......
That's why they call it "the present".
post #16 of 24 Old Aug 9th, 2009, 10:49 pm Thread Starter

I hope I responded to all PM's. Someone indicate interest in the manual, so I am down to the beemer bags and the brake fluid funnel.

If I did not respond it is because I am aging and my mind is going, not because I do not like you.

Thanks again - pictures tomorrow I promise.
post #17 of 24 Old Aug 10th, 2009, 8:16 am

Dont know what happened but my reply never posted. I'll take the front brakes. PM me and we can make payment arrangements

Stan Holm
post #18 of 24 Old Aug 10th, 2009, 8:22 am

I'm probably gonna have to have that funnel.

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #19 of 24 Old Aug 10th, 2009, 12:43 pm

Quote:

As much as I love the LT, I understand this is not a bike for everybody.

Good luck with the VTX!!

02 LT
post #20 of 24 Old Aug 10th, 2009, 3:51 pm

How are the ABS brakes on the VTX?

You'll be back.
post #21 of 24 Old Aug 10th, 2009, 9:39 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by scout70

You'll be back.
Not necessarily, this bike is not for everyone. I'm a big fan of the LT, but for some people it is simply too big and needs a little too much TLC.

02 LT
post #22 of 24 Old Aug 11th, 2009, 10:05 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scout70

You'll be back.
The brakes are actually pretty good on the bike - I would say they are 80% or so of the LT. While not ABS, they are linked. The acceleration is far better, but the stability is perhaps not as good as the LT at high speeds (80+ mph).

As for the question of me buying another LT I am not sure if I would. I really look at the overall value of the bike I bought and not necessarily all of the little items that each bike has to offer. I equate the LT to a Porsche - I love driving them but I don't want to own them. Too big of a headache for the incremental increase in performance.

BMW seems to shoot themselves in the foot regularly with their motorcycles. They make wonderful machines, but the maintenance is far away more than required on other bikes. The margin of error on this maintenance is also smaller. Worst of all, the cost of having the maintenance done can be prohibitive for some people. This really puts people in a quandary go broke paying the dealer to do it (to the tune of $1200/year or so) or risk dying or running up a bigger repair bill by attempting it yourself.

The dealer network is also an issue for me. I bought my LT from a dealer that attempted to extract as much money as possible as often as possible. When I challenged them they just shut down and gave my no answers. While here in Denver we have another choice (which I explored) it was more expensive and I had issues with their work as well (they scratched my wheel on a tire change and stripped out the screws on the brake reservoir when I had them change the hydraulic fluid). In any event I had my choice of expensive bike damage or expensive forced removal of my wallet - not a good choice either way. I know most dealerships are like this, but the bottom line is I can get abused by Honda or abused by BMW - it is just cheaper and easier to fix the abuse by Honda since I do not ever have to set foot again in a Honda dealership after I buy the bike.

I can also find solace in the 8k spent for the VTX vs. the 24k spent on the LT. Even when I build out the Honda to 90% of the LT amenities (heated grips, heated seats, radio, fairing, hard bags, trunk, etc.) I will still only have spent maybe 12k. So for 50% of the money I get 90% of the bike - pretty good deal to me.

I am sorry if this looks like an LT bash it is not. I do want to emphasize I think the LT is a wonderful machine and it is perhaps the best long distance high speed touring bike out there. I just did not find the costs worth the product.
post #23 of 24 Old Aug 11th, 2009, 10:25 am

Congratulations on your new bike!I think in the cruiser category,Honda is unbeatable.My previous bike was a 750 Shadow Aero which I bought new for under 6k.5 years and 25k miles later the maintenance and repair costs in total,were still below 1000 dollars.Today,I think the LT is still unbeatable in the touring category,if one can afford it.

Enjoy the VTX or whatever you may ride,cause life is too short to waste time spending time and money on something that does not make you 100% HAPPY!

Robert.

Four wheels move the body,two wheels move the soul.

2004 R1200CL Silver - Torquey
post #24 of 24 Old Aug 11th, 2009, 11:28 am

Quote:
The brakes are actually pretty good on the bike - I would say they are 80% or so of the LT. While not ABS, they are linked. The acceleration is far better, but the stability is perhaps not as good as the LT at high speeds (80+ mph).

As for the question of me buying another LT I am not sure if I would. I really look at the overall value of the bike I bought and not necessarily all of the little items that each bike has to offer. I equate the LT to a Porsche - I love driving them but I don't want to own them. Too big of a headache for the incremental increase in performance.

BMW seems to shoot themselves in the foot regularly with their motorcycles. They make wonderful machines, but the maintenance is far away more than required on other bikes. The margin of error on this maintenance is also smaller. Worst of all, the cost of having the maintenance done can be prohibitive for some people. This really puts people in a quandary go broke paying the dealer to do it (to the tune of $1200/year or so) or risk dying or running up a bigger repair bill by attempting it yourself.

The dealer network is also an issue for me. I bought my LT from a dealer that attempted to extract as much money as possible as often as possible. When I challenged them they just shut down and gave my no answers. While here in Denver we have another choice (which I explored) it was more expensive and I had issues with their work as well (they scratched my wheel on a tire change and stripped out the screws on the brake reservoir when I had them change the hydraulic fluid). In any event I had my choice of expensive bike damage or expensive forced removal of my wallet - not a good choice either way. I know most dealerships are like this, but the bottom line is I can get abused by Honda or abused by BMW - it is just cheaper and easier to fix the abuse by Honda since I do not ever have to set foot again in a Honda dealership after I buy the bike.

I can also find solace in the 8k spent for the VTX vs. the 24k spent on the LT. Even when I build out the Honda to 90% of the LT amenities (heated grips, heated seats, radio, fairing, hard bags, trunk, etc.) I will still only have spent maybe 12k. So for 50% of the money I get 90% of the bike - pretty good deal to me.

I am sorry if this looks like an LT bash it is not. I do want to emphasize I think the LT is a wonderful machine and it is perhaps the best long distance high speed touring bike out there. I just did not find the costs worth the product.
Good way of looking at it - you traded your porche for a corvette. Have fun on the VTX!

I think most LT owners do their own maintaince cause it's so expensive. I don't know if I would own an LT if I had to depend on the dealer for everything. Those guys are flat-out crooks. Honda, BMW, all of them...they simply have a monopoly on knowledge and they take advantage.

02 LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in