Leaky Front Brake - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Aug 8th, 2009, 2:00 am Thread Starter

Leaky Front Brake

I have been riding about once a month (I live about 500 miles from where the Big Girl is kept), and today, I discovered that brake fluid has been leaking on the shifter side of the front tire. Does anybody know what this problem might be and how to fix it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Aug 8th, 2009, 7:05 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Re: Leaky Front Brake

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotPhil
I have been riding about once a month (I live about 500 miles from where the Big Girl is kept), and today, I discovered that brake fluid has been leaking on the shifter side of the front tire. Does anybody know what this problem might be and how to fix it?
It is most likely the rubber line has failed. Most of us that have had this happened have upgraded to Spiegler Stainless Steel lines. If the bike is more then 5 years old ALL the rubber lines need to be replaced. OEM replacement lines will cost about $400.00
HERE is just one of many threads about it

Stevie Shreeve
post #3 of 4 Old Aug 8th, 2009, 1:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotPhil
Double check you are actually losing brake fluid. When the fork seals leak, it can look like the brake caliper is leaking. Check your fluid level and look up the forks to be sure the fluid isn't coming from farther up. Just something to look at.

Dan
2005 K1200LT - Ocean Blue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; Nolan 103 Helmet w/Bluetooth;
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
;
;
and
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Secures gear/luggage);
; Droid X (Replaces
and factory radio);
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Not installed);
(Currently unistalled),
; Clymer Manual; BMW Service DVD

post #4 of 4 Old Aug 8th, 2009, 5:59 pm Thread Starter

In cleaning it up and looking closer, it's the dampener. The shop says that they cannot be rebuilt, but I rebuild airplane shimmy dampeners, so I don't see why this requires purchasing a new $350 part. Thanks for all your help!!!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in