LT valve stem stabilizer - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Aug 7th, 2009, 10:25 pm Thread Starter

LT valve stem stabilizer

Had a flat this past week along the interstate. Luckily was not hurt and did not crash. I was traveling a little too fast, thats usually when a problem develops and it had to be a rear Metzeler, of course the newer one. However, when evaluating the tire, I could not determine if the noticeable hole in meaty part of tread was the culprit. Nail was out and noticed no bubble with the standard spit test. Thought it might be the stem because that seemed a little loose. My CO2 cartridges did not help and the can of gel-foam nozzle cracked while moving around in the saddle bag this past year.. The bike was flat bedded to a local dealer. A new tire put on because they would not plug it (policy they said though smack center of tread). While they installed, I asked about a valve stem stabilizer. They said that was something they had for all rice burners except the BMW's. Automatic for Goldwings (Honda dealer) and could be ordered for the LT for a small charge. Amazing,, Does anyone know if these things are helpful and why isnt that a standard item for installed tires? It is designed to resist wind from moving the valve stem around at higher speeds.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Aug 8th, 2009, 2:45 am

Re: LT valve stem stabilizer

I have only seen them on angled valve stems, not straight ones. Centrifugal force bends the angled stems in toward the tire at speed, and it lets up when you slow down, causing a back and forth bending action. Straight stems that are aimed straight in toward the axle like the LT ones do not need anything. Wind is not strong enough to bend them. A straight one that is angled outward some can suffer the same bending action as the angled ones, but not as badly.

Best valve stem by far are the metal ones. Some of us scrap the rubber ones and convert to metal ones.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #3 of 3 Old Aug 8th, 2009, 6:18 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Re: LT valve stem stabilizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey

Best valve stem by far are the metal ones. Some of us scrap the rubber ones and convert to metal ones.
Plus 1
I had a rubber stem fail & installed steel stems 3 years ago. Never had any problem since.

Stevie Shreeve

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in