Top Heavy Pig - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 64 Old Aug 6th, 2009, 11:58 pm Thread Starter

Top Heavy Pig

Excuse the rant but here goes... I just took a nice long 3 day ride into PA, Maryland, W.V. and Ohio. I've had my LT for about two years now. I always knew it was top heavy and had some close calls before with it tipping. With this latest trip there was quite a few hills all around me so parking was a new found challenge. On even the slightest hill, you have to put a lot of thought into how you are going to park this beast. For starters, I rarely use the side stand because it leans so much it just makes me nervous it's going to fall over after I leave. So now onto the centerstand. If you use the centerstand on a slight incline, the bike is parked solidly except when you get on it to leave you look like you are making love to the bike (more like rape) trying to get it off the centerstand uphill. Conversely, using the centerstand on a downward incline always makes me nervous that the slightest touch like getting something out of the back will send it traveling on it's own without me. God forbid you use the centerstand at an angle on an incline. When you come off that centerstand, you are a better man than I am if you can keep it upright. So on this trip I laid it down twice and almost a third. I was riding with 12 other bikes on this trip. I was the only one with a BMW. Talk about looking like an inexperienced idiot. At one point I felt terrible and did some soul searching. I thought about taking the bike to my friend who owns a body shop to repaint the scratches, etc. I thought about what other bikes are out there that might be more suitable for me. Possibly trading this one in. Goldwing? Nah, I don't want a Lazyboy on wheels. Harley? Got one already but not a long distance cruising vehicle (at least not for me). In the end it came to me like an epiphany. I'm not going to get those scratches fixed because it will just happen again. This bike is a top heavy pig but I like it so much. I'm leaving it as is. I'm going to ride it like I stole it, as the saying goes. I'm going to ride up to my parking spot and just jump off and let the bike fall wherever it falls. lol. (ok not quite). In the end, I'll keep this pig and ride the hell out of it. If it falls it falls.

Btw, newest editions to the bike:
Grip puppies and throttle rocker: cheap but what a difference. Nice !
Air Hawk seat cushion: worth the money. I can go much further without needing a break.
Mick O Pegs: worth the money.

Kent Fellers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 64 Old Aug 7th, 2009, 12:15 am

Re: Top Heavy Pig

Subrtact one L, replace with an R....Jeff
post #3 of 64 Old Aug 7th, 2009, 12:21 am

That which doesn't kill you,makes you stronger...

Glad you are stronger!

post #4 of 64 Old Aug 7th, 2009, 1:13 am

Agree with you, this beast deserves respect. But she is a lovely beast... more like big boned as apposed to obese.

Mugz

"If at first you don't succeed... well, so much for skydiving."

BMWMOA - #45711

2006 K1200LT - Blue Baby
2003 R1150GS - Yellowbird
1981 R100CS - Sadly gone
1991 K1100RS - Sold and burned
1986 K100RS - In the past
post #5 of 64 Old Aug 7th, 2009, 2:01 am

I discovered all this business at the MotoGP in Laguna Seca over the Fourth of July weekend.

Amazingly and coincidentally, I'm taking a break from putting on the new (used) parts I needed after trying to park on 2" of pine needles on a hill, which I was traversing when I thought I found a flat enough spot. WRONG! I put my foot down only to have it pop out from under me due to the downhill slope and the pine needles. I've learned not to stop it from falling so I just stepped off figuring the 45 degree pieces would catch it. WRONG! It ended up on it's side. I did, in fact, step off so it didn't even graze me. It did, however, end up completely on it's side, on a downhill slope.

In moments, 6 guys were around me asking if I was OK. I assured them I was and they couldn't believe it. Then they asked me how I would like them to pick it up and we devised a strategy in 10 seconds and got her upright. They asked me where I wanted her and I pointed to a flat spot about 75 feet away - the closest I could find. They rolled it over there and someone gave me a puck for under the kickstand, which is all I did with these guys, put the puck under the kickstand while they set it down onto it.

So I've had this now for 2 years and I've been all over the South West (around the Grand Canyon, up to Oregon from Los Angeles, etc.) and it's the 3rd time I've dropped her - the first two times came during the first two weeks when I didn't know about turning the wheel and hitting the front brake. So this is the first "experienced" drop.

What'd I learn? Well, first of all, over the MotoGP weekend, I noticed that all the big bikes were parked by the side of the road on very flat, easy in, easy out ground. So that taught me you've got to park her on solid, flat ground.

I love this bike dearly and now ride it more than my ZX-12R Ninja 1200 - a bike I love dearly.

Gotta go - I'm putting a new (used) left mirror on because I disintegrated the original at MotoGP. There literally wasn't a usable piece left of the old one. The only thing that didn't break was the glass, and I broke that trying to get it off!

mike p
2005 BMW K1200LT (got it in July 2007)
2002 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-12R (parked next to the LT)
1982 Suzuki GS-750EZ (paid $500
for it in 1985, sold it for $450 in 2000)
1978 Honda CB-500F (sold in 1980)
1976 Honda CB-400F (drowned to
death in the blizzard of 1978 in Boston)
post #6 of 64 Old Aug 7th, 2009, 2:41 am

You need to trust the side stand, then she will only embarrass you as she smokes on the start-up. Seriously use the side stand, park the rear down hill and let it lean. Some put it in 1st gear, I'm always in neutral out of habit and have never fallen over.

Tom Austen
02 LTC
Aromas, CA. (near Santa Cruz)
post #7 of 64 Old Aug 7th, 2009, 7:06 am

I always park with mine in gear and I push it forward in gear until it stops. It's never fallen over. My bike is always in gear unless I have it on the centerstand working on it. It's a little rule my MSF coach taught me years ago. It has served me well. The sidestand is a little tricky. It does seem to lean too much but it's short and strong. I trust it and I carry a 4" servo cover in my sidebox to go under the sidestand in softer ground. Parking in neutral is just asking for it. It's leaving too much to chance.........jmho..........

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.
post #8 of 64 Old Aug 7th, 2009, 7:48 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ised8m
If you use the centerstand on a slight incline, the bike is parked solidly except when you get on it to leave you look like you are making love to the bike (more like rape) trying to get it off the centerstand uphill.

I can just imagine standing around laughing at someone trying to do this.... must be awfully humiliating.

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #9 of 64 Old Aug 7th, 2009, 7:59 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCltc
You need to trust the side stand, then she will only embarrass you as she smokes on the start-up. Seriously use the side stand, park the rear down hill and let it lean. Some put it in 1st gear, I'm always in neutral out of habit and have never fallen over.
Yes the side stand IS more stable. The thee points suppoting the bike using the side stand are much further apart, than the center stand. I use the side stand exclusively if the bike is not in my garage. Parking up hill using the side stand is now a good thing and you don't have to resort to rape.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #10 of 64 Old Aug 7th, 2009, 8:46 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCltc

Just a coupla things......( and I know it's flat in Falada!) 99% of the time, I use the side stand, parked in gear. After stopping, but before dismounting, (bike is still upright) I remove my gloves, unbuckle the helmet, occasionally remove the key, look where the bike will be resting or napping, turn the wheel and all of this is in slow motion to give the oil time to settle. The bike rarely smokes when I start it up, but if it does, well I fart occasionally too!

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #11 of 64 Old Aug 7th, 2009, 9:05 am
Lifetime Supporter

Ran into the same problem at the MOA.

I found a slot next to one of the livestock barns that was pitched to the center to let the sh*t slide downhill after an exhibition and washdown. I got her up on the centerstand w/o any problem but knowing there would be an issue when I wanted to leave. Not even contemplating exotic sexual thrusts when I decided to depart after a tour of the vendors booths, I requested some assistance from a couple of other riders passing by. Mounted the gal and they pushed. Their compensation was when I put her in reverse to maneuver out of the close quarters parking. Guess they were not familiar with all of her finer points!

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"
2005 Pyrenees of France & Spain
2006 Tuscany

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Northern & Central Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

2019 Maritime Provinces of Canada & New England 3,500 miles

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #12 of 64 Old Aug 7th, 2009, 9:25 am

I have had one experience with tip-over.

Parked on sidewalk (nose-in from entry) (pwr pole center of sidewalk directly in-front of bike), at fav resturant, next to last car in-line in parking lot. Nope, no other spaces around, as lot was full of bikes parked most everywhere a cage could not !

As I was leaving, backing outwards towards parking lot entry (on my right), instead of backing and turning to my left, I backed straight back, and not thinking ! my right foot suddenly touched the ground a full 4 or so inches lower than when on the sidewalk, due to the graded entry into lot from main road

The rest is history.... bike falls past angle of no return towards road. I step out of way and watch it lay down ! A few scratches here and there, but nothing serious.

And yes, there were 4 men, (not bikers) standing in front of resturant door watching and not one offered to help me put her back up-right...

The front of the bike was still on the elevated part of the sidewalk when I put her back up. Quite a stretch ! Maybe that day contributed to my double hernia surgery ?

I always pay very close attention to my parking spot and try to avoid spots that may end up with undesired consequences.......

Jim Lawson 2016 R1200RT
Retired to NC !

post #13 of 64 Old Aug 7th, 2009, 9:48 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattler50
I always park with mine in gear and I push it forward in gear until it stops. It's never fallen over. My bike is always in gear unless I have it on the centerstand working on it. It's a little rule my MSF coach taught me years ago. It has served me well. The sidestand is a little tricky. It does seem to lean too much but it's short and strong. I trust it and I carry a 4" servo cover in my sidebox to go under the sidestand in softer ground. Parking in neutral is just asking for it. It's leaving too much to chance.........jmho..........
Good point! Clutches are cheap compared to getting rearended at a light cause you were in neutral. I too learned that at MSF and it has also served me well over the years. Additionally, I never come to a stop if at all possible without sufficient room in front of me to maneurver if a quick escape is needed.
post #14 of 64 Old Aug 7th, 2009, 9:50 am

This bike has taught me not to be too proud to ask for help picking it up.

This bike was made to go and not to be parked. Ride more, stop less and reduce your chances of dropping it.

Dave
-2000 K1200LT
-------------------------------
Life's too short to ride ugly motorcycles
post #15 of 64 Old Aug 7th, 2009, 9:55 am

I only use the centerstand when i work on it, other than that I NEVER use the center stand for parking.

You need to trust the side stand, just put it in gear and dont worry about it, it's not going to tip.

If it really bothers you, consider upgrading to the 05+ LT, there is an hydrolic center stand on those bikes. Just the touch of a button.

02 LT
post #16 of 64 Old Aug 7th, 2009, 10:08 am

Opposite issue in my case - I have a psycho (logical?) reason to shop for an 05 or newer LT - for the power stand.
I've been tossing the old beast onto the centerstand (once I learned how) without problem, so I did that 90% of the time.
About a month ago wife and I rode to an eatery, got off the bike...I toss it back, but failed this time. Bike rolls forward...and starts to keel over, away from me. Stopped it just in time, but have been freaked out ever since. When the pull backwards fails, as it sometimes does, and she rolls forward...whoah!
I've been parking on the sidestand ever since (in gear) and damn the smoke. Too scared to try again, to the point that I postponed adding air to the tires untill I could do it at home, in my (very flat and out of embarassing view) garage. Too weird.
I know it's all in my head, but heck...good excuse to upgrade.

2003 R1200CL Silver
1999 Honda Valkyrie Interstate poor man's six-banger
2008 Yamaha Venture - Sold after 6 months; I already miss the casette deck
2003 LT - Gone to be mated with a sidecar
1999 LT - Gone but not forgotten; my first Beemer
post #17 of 64 Old Aug 7th, 2009, 4:12 pm

Just a hint about the smoke, lean it to the right a few a little while you shut her down with the kick stand, turn off the switch, take off gloves and helmet.
It is what I do and hardly ever have any smoke.
little_jake
post #18 of 64 Old Aug 8th, 2009, 12:11 am

I just buy a bunch of those smoke bombs when fireworks season is on and have one at the ready when I start.

I light it, toss it behind me and laff the maniacal laff , ya know, and then start the girl up....NO ONE notices the smoke coming out of the pipes then... HAhahahha
(maniacal laff again) and then ride off

wheres my meds again?

Don't be afraid to say what you feel, as those that matter DOnt mind and those that mind Dont matter.
Dr.Suess-
-

1980 YAMAHA XJ650 MAXIM (RIP)
1982 YAMAHA 750 VIRAGO (SHES GONE)
1982 SUZUKI GS1000 (GONE)
2001 BMW K1200LT
2004 BMW R 1150 RT Sold.....
2007 BMW R 1200 GS
1986 BMW K100RT WITH A FLEXIT SIDECAR

1985 BMW K100 RT ( parts bike, but its too nice to do that, so it runs)
post #19 of 64 Old Aug 8th, 2009, 1:40 am

I use the side stand as well as parking in first gear. Center stand seemed unsure of it's footing unless on level ground. Although I've had mine for just a week I almost toppled with my daughter on. Slight decline at a stop sign, still working the clutch on the old honda and as soon as the brake was relieved started going backwards. Anyway, going back down to Grass Roots BMW in Cape Girardeau ( I guess a plug is okay eh?) had my buddy riding my honda. He was going along to pick up a chain for his bandit. We hadn't left town and I asked him if he wanted to drive the LT. Sure! Well, as soon as he got on, he leaned it to far to the right and over it went. He let her down easy. I almost laughed but remembered my embarrassment when forgetting to put the kickstand down once. Naturally he was apologizing as we righted her. No big deal, the guards did their job with just some very minor abrasions on the rubber. He felt so bad he wouldn't get back on her. At least now he knows a dresser is way different from a sport machine. Hey, first week - put about 700 miles on her! Only the beginning.....
post #20 of 64 Old Aug 8th, 2009, 9:50 am
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Every time I read someone parking in Neutral I cant figure it out.

Would you park your manuel shift car in neutral? What the heck are you guys thinking?

Roll it to the compression, and stick the side stand down, that easy.

And if you are in the habit of finding neutral at a stop instead of first gear you are setting yourself up to get bitten in the ass. The time it takes you to comprehend, pull the clutch, find first, let the clutch out and move, you probably will have been tagged from behind.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #21 of 64 Old Aug 8th, 2009, 10:50 am

Lightbulb Re: Top Heavy Pig

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAF
Every time I read someone parking in Neutral I cant figure it out.

Would you park your manuel shift car in neutral? What the heck are you guys thinking?

Roll it to the compression, and stick the side stand down, that easy.

And if you are in the habit of finding neutral at a stop instead of first gear you are setting yourself up to get bitten in the ass. The time it takes you to comprehend, pull the clutch, find first, let the clutch out and move, you probably will have been tagged from behind.
10-4 on all the above!
I uses my side-stand (in gear) to shut off the engine then turn off the key.
I've not had a top heavy issue BUT have heard of others removing the top truck to make it lighter...
I think a lot has to do with the physical size and attributes of the operator plus experience in all types of terrane & roads.

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'

post #22 of 64 Old Aug 8th, 2009, 11:42 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinJoe
10-4 on all the above!
I uses my side-stand (in gear) to shut off the engine then turn off the key.
I've not had a top heavy issue BUT have heard of others removing the top truck to make it lighter...
I think a lot has to do with the physical size and attributes of the operator plus experience in all types of terrane & roads.
I would say less emphasis on physical size and more on experience. She's a big beast and unless you want to end up on the chiropractors table, regardless of how big you are, if she wants to take a nap, you best let her.

I agree it can be a bit unnerving to set her on the side stand and wonder if she's going to tip over. I'm particularly aware of how a parking area is pitched for water run-off and will either drive in or back in to the parking space, always parking with the stand uphill. It also makes it easier to pull the beast up if she isn't leaned over too far.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun in the woods)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cowwhat a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #23 of 64 Old Aug 8th, 2009, 12:36 pm

Mine went decided to tip over on me last night. I went to park it in the garage and didn't have the side stand all the way down. Being over 6 feet tall I was able to guide her down slowly and step off. Problem came when trying to pick the beast back up. Tried tuning my back to it and squatting with my butt to the seat. I'm too tall and have to squat way down as the seat is nearly below my knees. Ended up having my girlfriend help me pick the beast up. J-peg put a small crease in the lower plastic. The bumper did its job well. I think I'm going to get rid of the J-pegs now as I really dont use them. Moral of the story....... Make sure the side stand is ALL the way down before stepping off the bike.

2003 K1200 LT E ( Traded )
1976 Suzuki Gt 185 Adventurer ( Sold )
1982 Kawasaki Ltd 440 ( Leaking oil on shed floor )
1967 Sears Sr 250 (Puch) ( Needs new points )
1996 Kawasaki Ex 250
When I cant ride-
2000 Elgin Pelican
1996 Case 621B
2004 John Deere 624J
2005 Ford Ranger 2wd
Life is short....Ride every thing!
post #24 of 64 Old Aug 8th, 2009, 1:13 pm

The LT REQUIRES one to be more careful during parking and low speed maneuvers. The up side is how brilliantly it performs two up in the twisties.

If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand--Milton Friedman
post #25 of 64 Old Aug 8th, 2009, 6:24 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ised8m
Excuse the rant but here goes... I just took a nice long 3 day ride into PA, Maryland, W.V. and Ohio. I've had my LT for about two years now. I always knew it was top heavy and had some close calls before with it tipping. With this latest trip there was quite a few hills all around me so parking was a new found challenge. On even the slightest hill, you have to put a lot of thought into how you are going to park this beast. For starters, I rarely use the side stand because it leans so much it just makes me nervous it's going to fall over after I leave. So now onto the centerstand. If you use the centerstand on a slight incline, the bike is parked solidly except when you get on it to leave you look like you are making love to the bike (more like rape) trying to get it off the centerstand uphill. Conversely, using the centerstand on a downward incline always makes me nervous that the slightest touch like getting something out of the back will send it traveling on it's own without me. God forbid you use the centerstand at an angle on an incline. When you come off that centerstand, you are a better man than I am if you can keep it upright. So on this trip I laid it down twice and almost a third. I was riding with 12 other bikes on this trip. I was the only one with a BMW. Talk about looking like an inexperienced idiot. At one point I felt terrible and did some soul searching. I thought about taking the bike to my friend who owns a body shop to repaint the scratches, etc. I thought about what other bikes are out there that might be more suitable for me. Possibly trading this one in. Goldwing? Nah, I don't want a Lazyboy on wheels. Harley? Got one already but not a long distance cruising vehicle (at least not for me). In the end it came to me like an epiphany. I'm not going to get those scratches fixed because it will just happen again. This bike is a top heavy pig but I like it so much. I'm leaving it as is. I'm going to ride it like I stole it, as the saying goes. I'm going to ride up to my parking spot and just jump off and let the bike fall wherever it falls. lol. (ok not quite). In the end, I'll keep this pig and ride the hell out of it. If it falls it falls.

Btw, newest editions to the bike:
Grip puppies and throttle rocker: cheap but what a difference. Nice !
Air Hawk seat cushion: worth the money. I can go much further without needing a break.
Mick O Pegs: worth the money.
I'm guessing you have a fairly short inseam as I'm about 32" and have no problem with the LT. I've had mine two years also and just over 15,000 miles. No drops yet. I haven't found normal inclines to be a problem. I use the centerstand if the incline isn't too great and the sidestand otherwise. As with any heavy bike, it takes some planning when parking in certain places, but for the most part I don't find the LT any more topheavy or difficult to handle than my Kaw Voyager was. The seat height is higher, but the only time that bothers me is when swinging my leg over the seat getting on and off. At nearly 50, I'm not quite as flexible as I was when I was 25. :-)

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #26 of 64 Old Aug 8th, 2009, 6:30 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukey33
This bike has taught me not to be too proud to ask for help picking it up.

This bike was made to go and not to be parked. Ride more, stop less and reduce your chances of dropping it.
I like your solution! If you don't stop you have much less chance of tipping over! Good solution!

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #27 of 64 Old Aug 9th, 2009, 6:41 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickerbiker
I would say less emphasis on physical size and more on experience. She's a big beast and unless you want to end up on the chiropractors table, regardless of how big you are, if she wants to take a nap, you best let her.

I agree it can be a bit unnerving to set her on the side stand and wonder if she's going to tip over. I'm particularly aware of how a parking area is pitched for water run-off and will either drive in or back in to the parking space, always parking with the stand uphill. It also makes it easier to pull the beast up if she isn't leaned over too far.
Agreed, to clarify, by size I'm mainly referring to being able to touch the ground with your feet. I have found a pattern of more drops from people with short inseams having to tippy-toe and.....

2001 Honda C-250 Helix

Smokin'

post #28 of 64 Old Aug 9th, 2009, 6:56 am

Top Heavy Pig

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryFlagman
Mine went decided to tip over on me last night. I went to park it in the garage and didn't have the side stand all the way down. J-peg put a small crease in the lower plastic. The bumper did its job well. I think I'm going to get rid of the J-pegs now as I really dont use them. Experiment by putting them on top of the crsah bars (do search to find out how to).
Moral of the story....... Make sure the side stand is ALL the way down before stepping off the bike. shutting the engine down while in first with the side-stand solves this moral
she is not fun to pick up!

2001 Honda C-250 Helix

Smokin'

post #29 of 64 Old Aug 9th, 2009, 7:43 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinJoe
she is not fun to pick up!
The weight of the bike is something you definitely have to get used to. It just takes a little time as it is different from most other bikes. I ALWAYS stop the bike by leaving it in first gear and putting down the side stand. With this bike, you have to pay extra attention when stopping. The front forks do not take up the stopping momentum. Once you get used to the differences, you'll find that it is worth the price! The best bike I've ever owned.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #30 of 64 Old Aug 9th, 2009, 2:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandiver
I ALWAYS stop the bike by leaving it in first gear and putting down the side stand.
Putting it in reverse gear works too.
You never have to worry about it falling forward or backward.
Take a small sheet of plywood or some other type of flat sturdy platform with you to use if parking on grass or any other slightly unstable foundation (fits on the floor of the back case).

As DD said, Keep the bike upright for a minute or so (or even lean it to the right slightly before getting off).
Presto!! No smoke upon start-up.

BC
MOA 144103

1971 Yahama 250 (Yep that's an old two cycle street bike)
1972 Yamaha 350 (also a 2 cycle street)

1973 Yamaha 750
1983 Honda Shadow 500
2005 BMW 1200LT

post #31 of 64 Old Aug 9th, 2009, 4:38 pm

Hi.
I am new just having it two days and now have it in for the 600 mile service. After reading so many posts on the forum I was paying extra attention to parking the bike. Slow speeds and stopping wasn't too much of an issue as long as I remembered from my MSF course of staring at the horizon when stopping. I am concerned though what will happen when I have my wife get on. I am definitely nervous about this. I remember on my Ultra Classic the first time my wife got on and I slowed down for a red light. I thought I was going to keel over. It took a while to get used to two up. I think with this bike being top heavy and the passenger that it will be a handful. Are there any tips (no pun intended) or am I needlessly worried.
Ken
post #32 of 64 Old Aug 9th, 2009, 5:09 pm

I carry my sporty's license plate, bent in half, in my tank bag. If the asphalt looks "iffy", I toss out the plate; if parking on grass, sand, dirt, etc., out comes the plate.

Regarding 2-up, get used to the bike solo first and get a handle on how she handles. A tip I picked up from this forum is to turn the handlebars "slightly" to the right just before coming to a stop. It will help tip the bike to the left; catch the ground with your foot, and have your bride keep her feet on the footpegs at all times.

Oh! And no slow-speed "readjustments" in the seat by your bride.

Hope this helps,
Curt

Avatar credit: Curtis Callaway, 2009
Rider of Stahlross
1999 Basalt Grey LT
2001 Classic Red Ducati 748
post #33 of 64 Old Aug 10th, 2009, 4:08 pm

I just went through a 5 day trip with many of the same problems, riding with 2 Gold Wings and a Honda ST 1100(I think), they made it a living Hell trying to follow them into all the parking spots, stops at side of road etc., etc. I was set to trade mine after it went over the 2nd time and broke one of my J-Pegs off. By the way does anyone know where to get parts to replace i, bolt, spring, and ball bearing. (I live in Canada). In the end I felt much like you, I love the bike when it is moving, but trying to park it, turn it in gravel parking lots, pulling over into scenic lookouts in the mountains.....all make for a nerve wracking trip, but the miles on the road kind of made up for it. When the passengers on the Hondas had to stop every hour for a "butt-rest" it made me feel good that we could have rode for another hour or two with no problem. If they hadn't had to stop so often it would have also made for a heck of a lot less parking lot sojurns.
post #34 of 64 Old Aug 10th, 2009, 4:24 pm

One of the surprising things that helped me in that regard was the front peg lowering kit. I've dropped mine once prior to installing the kite on a shoulder my SO wasn't happy but we and the bike fared ok.

Not going to say it lowers the CG but it does take less effort to get your feet to the ground when stopping and in low speed landing or moving that really help's

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken6217
Hi.
I am new just having it two days and now have it in for the 600 mile service. After reading so many posts on the forum I was paying extra attention to parking the bike. Slow speeds and stopping wasn't too much of an issue as long as I remembered from my MSF course of staring at the horizon when stopping. I am concerned though what will happen when I have my wife get on. I am definitely nervous about this. I remember on my Ultra Classic the first time my wife got on and I slowed down for a red light. I thought I was going to keel over. It took a while to get used to two up. I think with this bike being top heavy and the passenger that it will be a handful. Are there any tips (no pun intended) or am I needlessly worried.
Ken

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969
post #35 of 64 Old Aug 10th, 2009, 4:41 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Smile Re: Top Heavy Pig

Ken,

Tell her to always keep her feet on the pegs as she can't reach the ground from the back.

Then tell her to never lean around to the side, even with just her head.

Have her mount up by standing on the left side and putting her left foot on the left peg and then stepping through with her right foot while you straddle the bike as she balances her hands on the trunk and your shoulder.

It's not bad if done correctly.

post #36 of 64 Old Aug 10th, 2009, 5:15 pm
Gold Supporter

I'm coming in on this conversation a kinda late but mostly responding to Ken 6217.
After we had a nice tip over in the driveway in the dark I knew we had to figure out something quick.
I told the wife when we are stopping 'push your feet firmly but gently against the footpegs and that will push your back into the backrest'.
That will stop her body from starting a fishtail thing of balance correction between you her and the bike.
Worked like a charm.
Then I was worried when we took a trip to Kentucky, all the extra weight in the sidecases.
But I found that the bike handled better weighted down than empty, lower c.o.g.?
Gravel roads, u turns, quick stops, we had a great time

After that was a trip downtown, kinda dreaded, traffic, many stops.
The trip was for paint and we came home with 4 gallons in the sidecases. I noticed the bike handled easier than empty again. After all it is made for trips.
So add this to the other good tips found here, you'll be fine.

Jeff

Still -
Just a dog without a bone ~...............

CCR '09 Great trip!, 2010 Miles of smiles, 2011 Can this possibly get better? 2012 a Superior trip!

2004 K1200LT - ZZ Trailer
1983 R100
BMWMOA #158807 Michiana BMW Club #122
post #37 of 64 Old Aug 10th, 2009, 9:20 pm

this needs to be posted

http://www.ibmwr.org/otech/pickup.html

I've seen "Skirt" pick up an LT and she weighs all of 110lbs!

If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand--Milton Friedman
post #38 of 64 Old Aug 10th, 2009, 11:04 pm

After two low speed dumps this spring (and a couple of near dumps) I have noted that it is important to drive such as to not be surprised whenever handling at low speed.

Part of the problem is the linked brakes, which at low speed, apply the front brakes also when using only the foot pedal. The other two bikes I have are not linked & I find that switching back and forth can be confusing.

I also find it easier to raise that 2005 K1200LT pig with one hand on the handle bars like is recommended, and the other on the rear trunk rather than under the seat. The higher hand location reduces the amount of force required to generate the necessary moment to raise it up.

I once thought my 2000 R1100RT was big and heavy..........
post #39 of 64 Old Oct 14th, 2009, 1:21 am

top heavy is more for the better handling in the curves

it'sa beast below 3mph, above 3 and your in a dreamworld.

JJ
post #40 of 64 Old Oct 14th, 2009, 9:07 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunglejoeBMW
top heavy is more for the better handling in the curves

it'sa beast below 3mph, above 3 and your in a dreamworld.

JJ
Interesting comment above - For comparison, just remove the TOP CASE and feel the difference in the way the bike handles.... For me, a tremendous positive difference. Feels like a sports car and at low speed, a dream...

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #41 of 64 Old Oct 14th, 2009, 9:25 am

Garage

As I always tell my students, If you don't want to drop your Motrocycle "Stay out of the parking lots"

Bill Jennings, fhp
Denison, TX

BMW States
BMW years and miles, 32 years 500K+

AMA, CMA, IBA, POG, MSF, FHP, etc

'99 K1200lt
'76 R900/6
Various Vintage Dirt Bikes
-Greeves (Sold), Pentons, Hodaka, etc.

Remember you are not lost till you run out of gas!
post #42 of 64 Old Oct 14th, 2009, 9:58 am

At "parking lot" final stopping speeds, I never use the foot brake lever. Both feet off the pegs and ready to contact the ground to help steady the bike. Do the final stopping with a light touch of the hand lever.
Why would anyone risk tapping the "rear" lever only to have the bike tip to the right with your foot all the way up on the peg? This just seems so natural to me.

kk610lt
2007 K 1200 LT
2004 R 1150 GS Adventure
2002 K 1200 LT (totaled by a SUV 10-7-08)
1988 Concours
Why do bullets bounce off of Superman, but he ducks when you throw a gun at him?
post #43 of 64 Old Oct 14th, 2009, 10:28 am

The curious thing about this bike is that it is built for a normal size guy when stopped, i.e. your feet rest comfortably flat on the ground, and a midget when riding! I have had to lower the footpegs to reduce the long distance discomfort and it is still not a good riding position.
I really love this bike but it is not very ergonomic. Now combine someone who fits the saddle well with frequent stopping, and leaning, and the bike would feel really heavy. I know that they build these bikes for mass market but there should be more adjustment.
Once you get used to the weight, and the lean on the sidestand, this bike is superb!

Paul Dawson

2005 K1200LT
post #44 of 64 Old Oct 14th, 2009, 1:54 pm

When I first picked up my 09 I was waiting almost anticipated the low speed issues that everyone talked about. I never had an issue yet, I don't know if they changed something but I can be almost stopped and not have a issue with balance or tipping over. As far as parking goes, well thats another story. I used to park it on the side stand, then I installed a Bak-up back rest, now I know I'm not as agile as I used to be but I can't get my fat leg over the back rest. I have no problem parking the beast on an incline, I'm 6 Ft @ 310 Lbs so pushing it off the center stand is not a problem, I could see if your smaller with less Mass pushing might be a problem.

But as others have stated I don't care what it takes, this is the best motorcycle I ever had. Now i just need to lean how to ride it.

John

Newest Addition --Black 09 LT
03 1600 Kawasaki
93 Honda 1100 ACE
86 Yamaha 650
BMW MOA # 148120
post #45 of 64 Old Oct 14th, 2009, 2:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk610lt
At "parking lot" final stopping speeds, I never use the foot brake lever. Both feet off the pegs and ready to contact the ground to help steady the bike. Do the final stopping with a light touch of the hand lever..
Just make sure the front wheel is in the straight position when you apply the front brakes. If not, you may be laying on the ground and wonder what happened. It's that quick...

Wolfgang

K1200LT 1999 Champaign SOLD
R1100RS 1994 Teal SOLD
R1150RT 2003 Blue (Sold)
R1100RT 1997 Blue

Pest, Budapest Hungary

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness."
Mark Twain

post #46 of 64 Old Oct 14th, 2009, 2:23 pm

When I am low speeds I never use the front brake. I also slow to a stop with the rear. I was having the same problems when using the front brake in Seattle and the bike wants to go which ever way the front wheel is pointing.

I have dumped the big girl twice. Once backing up a severe incline in reverse the bike started to go to the right and when I put my foot down it was a little further than I thought and over she went. I just hopped off as she went over. No one was around to see my red face but I did have to pick it up by myself.

The other time I was going to get rear ended by another biker who was on my ass and I hit the throttle and the wheel was turned right and over she went.

I lifted the bike up again but heard it the rest of the weekend. I finally got fed up and left the pack to go home. Oh did I mention I was riding with twenty Harleys

Still love the bike.

Al
Spokane
WA
post #47 of 64 Old Oct 14th, 2009, 4:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang
Just make sure the front wheel is in the straight position when you apply the front brakes. If not, you may be laying on the ground and wonder what happened. It's that quick...
I can't remember the last time I used the back brake! Several years ago I added the Suburban Peg Lowering and adjusted the shifter, but not the back break lever. The back brake control is a little to high to easily reach and I just got out of the habit of using it.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL

Last edited by dandiver; Oct 14th, 2009 at 4:36 pm.
post #48 of 64 Old Oct 14th, 2009, 4:30 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
I can't remember the last time I used the front break! Several years ago I added the Suburban Peg Lowering and adjusted the shifter, but not the back break lever. The back break control is a little to high to easily reach and I just got out of the habit of using it.
I'm missing something here, Dan. You don't use your brakes? Don't use front...not in the habit of using back...

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #49 of 64 Old Oct 14th, 2009, 4:38 pm

FIXED IT - Brain wasn't all the way in gear..... What I meant to say was that I hardly ever use the BACK brake.... Sorry.. and thanks for the correction.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #50 of 64 Old Oct 14th, 2009, 4:46 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
FIXED IT - Brain wasn't all the way in gear..... What I meant to say was that I hardly ever use the BACK brake.... Sorry.. and thanks for the correction.
Hey, ya never know. I once met a guy that didn't stop for stop lights/signs. He was wheelchair bound and his buddies would put him on the bike and then take him off where ever they ended up. Harley guys from the 70's, ya know.

Have fun,
Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in