Removing fuel tank - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Aug 5th, 2009, 9:48 pm Thread Starter

Removing fuel tank

this weekend I plan to remove the fuel tank, I looked at the service manual, wondering if there are any gotchas?

Thanks

02 LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Aug 5th, 2009, 9:54 pm

Re: Removing fuel tank

No gotchas in removing the fuel tanks.
Putting the fuel tank back on is another story, especially if you need to leave it off overnight and the temperature is hot. The shape will change just enough to make you go nuts when trying to align the mounting bolts...

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old Aug 5th, 2009, 10:07 pm

Lightbulb Re: Removing fuel tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveno
this weekend I plan to remove the fuel tank, I looked at the service manual, wondering if there are any gotchas?

Thanks

Siphon out all the fuel you can. It's a lot easier to move around near empty.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====

post #4 of 11 Old Aug 5th, 2009, 10:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveno

Thanks
A few:

Keep close track of the rubber inserts, aluminum sleeves and thin rubber washers associated with both rear mounts -- when you pull the tank back/off the frame, it's common to have some/all of these bits fall out.

Before you pull the tank off, you'll have to disconnect the fuel pump electrical connector and the two quick-disconnects on the fuel lines. Not much finger room around there. With my LT's, I would unbolt the tank, then lift the rear end of the tank up a couple inches and stick a chunk of 2x4 under the center rear of the tank to hold it up while I undid the connectors.

When undoing the fuel line quick disconnects, hold the release tab until the disconnect is completely apart -- prevents the sharp edge of the release tab from cutting the o-ring on the male part. Same on reassembly. A paper towel under the quick disconnects will catch the few tenths of an ounce of fuel that spill out of the connectors. Turn each downward briefly to dump the last couple drops.

On reassembly, a quick hit of silicone to lube the disconnect o-ring makes it slide into the female half easier.

Purchase a few quick disconnect o-rings -- that will ensure that you don't cut one when reassembling

When disconnecting the two drain hoses at the front right of the tank at the connectors about 10-12" below the tank top, remove on hose from the top of one connector, and the other from the bottom of the other connector -- that way you can't mix up which is the gas bib and the tank vent hose (of course, if you've done a canisterectomy, this is no longer a problem!)

When reinstalling the tank, a hit of silicone on each of the forward rubber mounts helps the tank slide on easier.

When reinstalling the tank, it is *really* easy to not see that you've trapped the two drain/vent hoses between the right front edge of the tank and the right tank mount. This will crimp off the tank vent, giving you the same symptoms as a clogged charcoal canister (tank collapse, engine stalling, etc.). How easy? I've lost count how many times I've pull an LT tank, and I know about this problem -- yet I've done it more than once!

Before putting the tupperware back on, turn on the ignition key and place the kill switch into the run position -- you want to hear the fuel pump run for ~2 seconds (the normal line-pressurization cycle) to confirm that it's correctly assembled. I usually place a clean folded paper towel under the fuel lines before turning on the key, and let it sit under the lines for a few seconds after the pump runs to confirm no fuel leakage (i.e., fully seated quick disconnects, with no nicked o-rings).

Take *great* care when starting the tank mounting bolts back into the frame. The weight of the tank and the pressure from the annoyingly-pita seat subframe tend to make it hard to run the bolts in straight -- but if not started cleanly, the steel bolts can absolutely bung-up the threads in the aluminum frame backbone.

HTH!

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA

Last edited by mneblett; Aug 6th, 2009 at 1:12 am.
post #5 of 11 Old Aug 6th, 2009, 12:51 am

That's a great post Mark....thanks

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
post #6 of 11 Old Aug 6th, 2009, 1:28 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razmataz
That's a great post Mark....thanks
Just giving back some of what I've picked up here and in the garage over the years.

Off topic -- I saw Pesotum in your profile -- I'm Illini '80

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #7 of 11 Old Nov 20th, 2012, 7:36 am

Garage

It would be nice if a list of items like Mark posted could be included in the maintenance manuals (factory or otherwise!). I've never understood why manuals aren't written to actually help out with doing the maintenance as much as possible. Anyway, I have to say that it is very easy to forget to reconnect a hose or a harness when installing the tank. The last time I did it I forgot the fuel pump at the bottom, and it wouldn't start. Luckily I hadn't put on the fairing yet when I figured that one out. I think I'm going to get into the habit of tying on bright streamers to everything that needs to be reconnected when reassembling. I have a roll of the stuff (can't even remember why). I might as well use it for something practical.
post #8 of 11 Old Nov 20th, 2012, 9:26 am

Garage
Talking Re: Removing fuel tank

YES!! I hate those "assemble in reverse order" instructions! I would love an assembley manual. You know from naked frame to test drive in 4000 easy steps.

1999 K1200LT Rat Bike Sold
2000 K1200LT Black Bike SOLD
2003 K1200RS Alpine White and Blue SOLD
2002 R1150GS sold
2008 "smart"
2001 K1200LT current project, AKA M1.2, AKA Horten 229
2002 F650GS It's runnin y'all
2005 K1200S
2012 R1200GS Rally
post #9 of 11 Old Nov 20th, 2012, 10:45 am

The only item I would add to Mark's excellent post is to ALWAYS use new HNBR *green* O-rings with the quick connects.

At 25 cents each they are cheap insurance vs. using the typical *black* NBR type. Ethanol eats NBR for lunch and tends to desiccate (dry) them rapidly - hence the premature failure.

They're usually easy to find at a good hardware store, sold as air conditioning o-rings and they are indeed metric. They are easy to confuse with an SAE sized o-ring - but a sharp eye can easily tell the difference side by side on top of a white piece of paper.

If the quick connects don't click together with minimal resistance you have the wrong size, and a tiny little bit of silicone grease as Mark recommended is indeed the correct lubricant since it is completely inert.

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Nov 20th, 2012 at 10:52 am.
post #10 of 11 Old Nov 20th, 2012, 9:11 pm
Gold Supporter

I typically set the tank over a saw horse attempting to keep it's shape, particulary if it is going to be off for a while. Not sure it makes any differences, it still takes some finagaling with a pry bars to line everything back up.

Jim H.

Jim H.
K1200LT '00 for Touring, '73 Norton for fun
post #11 of 11 Old Nov 20th, 2012, 10:14 pm

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in