Ohlins Installed - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Aug 5th, 2009, 11:14 am Thread Starter

Ohlins Installed

I just wanted to report, that thanks in a very large part to my friend Bill (Billd from this site), I now have my Ohlins on my 2000 LT. I had a problem with running my battery down two weekends ago, and in the process or trying to restart my bike, the starter relay froze open and drained the battery, (the battery nearly exploded btw). Since we had to tear the bike down and take the tank off to get to the relay to replace it, we decided to go ahead and install the new Ohlins I had purchased last winter. We also did a nearly complete service on it too, I might add. In any event, all I can say is the Ohlins transform the bike into a totally different ride. WOW, is word that comes to mind. It is hard to believe the change in the bike. Sort of like going from a soft riding luxury car, and turning it into a roadster! Wished I would have done it sooner. Again, I can't thank Billd from here enough for all his help. BTW, the actual time doing the shocks was about 2 1/2 hours, and a good deal of that was stripping it down and reading the directions from other posts on this site.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Aug 5th, 2009, 12:19 pm

Re: Ohlins Installed

Sounds like you saved a bag of money.
Would you recommend a novice try this?... I'm the guy who would replace a car starter but pass on a removing a radiator. Did brake pads myself on the LT no problem. Would love to save a bag of money myself but certainly fall into the novice group. Sounds like its time,, bike hits hard on the bumps.. same year/model original shocks. I bout it used and ride the snot out of it, 72,000 miles year 2000.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old Aug 5th, 2009, 1:23 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

James
Glad you got time to install the Ohlins. I did mine a few weeks ago and like you all i can say in WOW !! It's like a new bike only better.

John.
The job is not hard to do. It took about 3 1/2 hours for me to do it by myself.

Stevie Shreeve

post #4 of 6 Old Aug 5th, 2009, 3:04 pm

What weight springs did you guys have installed on the Ohlins? On my 2002 I had them put on 1 grade stiffer springs. I recall them being pretty stiff. I'm thinking this time to just order them with standard spring weights. But, would rather have them a little too stiff than too soft. Can't decide which way to go.

Steve
2005 K1200LT
post #5 of 6 Old Aug 5th, 2009, 4:12 pm Thread Starter

As far as "can a novice do it?" goes, after having done it with Bill this first time, I have no doubt I could do it myself--at least with the assistance of another person. Let me regress for a minute and say Bill is a very knowledgeable "mechanic" although not one by trade or profession. Also let me say he and I purchased a lift a couple of years ago, and that make the install so much easier. Also, I think it would be very difficult to do it without another person to help. Not that there is anything every difficult about any particular phase of it. It also would be helpful if one of the people have smallish hands too, for putting the one bushing back on. Before we tackled this, one of the other people from this site sent me a file that had the step by step instructions and some pictures. If anyone needs it, write me and I will send it. I got my Ohlins from Kyle Racing. They preset the shocks after talking to them on the phone. I am 250 lbs, ride mostly alone, and an not aggressive. I honestly can't say much more than that. I do agree though, it is like riding a new bike, only better. The responsiveness of the bike is a night and day difference.
post #6 of 6 Old Aug 5th, 2009, 4:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrlakin
As far as "can a novice do it?" goes, after having done it with Bill this first time, I have no doubt I could do it myself--at least with the assistance of another person. Let me regress for a minute and say Bill is a very knowledgeable "mechanic" although not one by trade or profession. Also let me say he and I purchased a lift a couple of years ago, and that make the install so much easier. Also, I think it would be very difficult to do it without another person to help. Not that there is anything every difficult about any particular phase of it. It also would be helpful if one of the people have smallish hands too, for putting the one bushing back on. Before we tackled this, one of the other people from this site sent me a file that had the step by step instructions and some pictures. If anyone needs it, write me and I will send it. I got my Ohlins from Kyle Racing. They preset the shocks after talking to them on the phone. I am 250 lbs, ride mostly alone, and an not aggressive. I honestly can't say much more than that. I do agree though, it is like riding a new bike, only better. The responsiveness of the bike is a night and day difference.

Appreciate your feedback and blueprint/vendor assistance. I have a brother and neighbor with identical LT bikes as mine. Both are mechanical engineers and good with tinkering and have lifts. May take some work to talk either of them into it but it would save me a bundle in labor. Curious how my bike would ride with the new shocks. We are in addition same weight at 240/50. Sounds like a good investment. Thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in