BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Service intervals

4K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Corrado68 
#1 ·
Howdy,

this spring my bike had the 20,000Km service: do I need to have another one at 30,000Km or at 40,000Km?

I'll be hitting and passing the 30,000Km mark during my holidays in the next two weeks, so probably I won't be able to service the bike before 31-33,000Km anyways.... is there something specific that I should check to be safe?

Sorry for all the questions, but all my latest cars had a service only after 30,000 so I'm not yet used to this 10,000Km routine... meaning service every 3-4 months for me :rolleyes:

#2 ·
Corrado - the *Service*, which is basically an engine oil change and examination of the other fluid levels and a brake pad check, and a readout of the MoDiTec memory if there have been any faults - those services are suggested on a 20,000Km span, with the first one to be conducted at 10,000Km,

Now, the suggested *Inspection* is more involved and gives the bike a thorough going over and changing not only the engine oil, but the gearbox and rear drive lubes as well - and replacing of the engine air filter and fuel filter and spark plugs. That is likewise at a 20,000Km interval, butt begins with the first one at the 20,000Km Inspection.

Hope this helps. And btw, these intervals were taken from a third generation LT manual and I'm not positively sure that the '06 model follows the same program. Easy to verify with someone who'll be on here shortly. Have a great holiday!!

Corrado68 said:
Howdy,

this spring my bike had the 20,000Km service: do I need to have another one at 30,000Km or at 40,000Km?

I'll be hitting and passing the 30,000Km mark during my holidays in the next two weeks, so probably I won't be able to service the bike before 31-33,000Km anyways.... is there something specific that I should check to be safe?

Sorry for all the questions, but all my latest cars had a service only after 30,000 so I'm not yet used to this 10,000Km routine... meaning service every 3-4 months for me :rolleyes:

#4 ·
Thanks for the info!

The PDF is very useful, although now I'm a bit confused. There's a whole lot of service types:
  1. BMW Service every 10,000Km
  2. BMW Inspection every 20,000Km
  3. Various annual inspections

I assume that I have to disregard the "annual" items and concentrate on the main Service/Inspection items, right?

From what you wrote, I should have had an "Inspection" (deeper control and maintenance) at 20,000 and now I should only get a lighter "Service" at 30,000... I'll check the list of operations done in May, because I'm not sure of what I got...!

Thanks

#5 ·
Corrado68 said:
Thanks for the info!

The PDF is very useful, although now I'm a bit confused. There's a whole lot of service types:
  1. BMW Service every 10,000Km
  2. BMW Inspection every 20,000Km
  3. Various annual inspections

I assume that I have to disregard the "annual" items and concentrate on the main Service/Inspection items, right?

From what you wrote, I should have had an "Inspection" (deeper control and maintenance) at 20,000 and now I should only get a lighter "Service" at 30,000... I'll check the list of operations done in May, because I'm not sure of what I got...!

Thanks
I agree - the list is confusing, but I think you have it figured out OK. Yes - Every 20000 is a more detailed inspection & maintenance. The 10000 is more of a simple inspection.

#6 ·
I checked the invoice from May (20,000Km service) and I indeed I had the "Inspection" program:
  • Changed engine oil
  • Changed 4 spark plugs
  • Replaced air filter
  • Changed brake pads & fluid
  • readout of the MoDiTec memory (where they found an issue with a spark plug cable)
  • Various undocumented checks (I hope all the ones in the BMW list) for a total of 52 "time units" (not sure how long is a time unit)
  • Test ride
  • Confirm BMW service by entry in onboard documentation :D

So now at 30,000 they should only check the bike in general and change the engine oil... guess it won't cause too much damage if I do this a bit in delay. I'll check the oil level before leaving anyways, as usual.

I'm a bit astonished by the 10K oil change schedule, though: my BMW car can run for 30,000Km before an oil change!

#7 ·
I had a few weeks ago the 30k "Service" program:
  • Changed engine oil
  • Changed rear brake pads
  • Changed both tyres

Interesting issue: I paid 440€ if I'm not wrong for the inspection at 20k, and 350€ for the service at 30k (plus another 300€ for the tyres): the cost seem to be un-balanced considering the longer list of checks for the inspection...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.