help with turn signal/hazard lights - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 3:01 pm Thread Starter
dpd

help with turn signal/hazard lights

i have a 2008 k1200 lt that runs perfectly except that i lose my turn signals/hazards from time to time. i can ride for 1 or 5 hrs, cd, nav etc...on or off it doesn't matter. sometimes i lose the signals and sometimes i don't. once they're gone they're gone for at least 2-3 hours and then no matter what by the next day they are working perfectly again. the flasher relay was replaced once before i bought the bike which had only 600 miles on at time of purchase. the good news it's under warranty and i'm taking it back to the dealer in hopes they will find the problem. does anyone out there have a suggestion as to what it might be?
thanks, dd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 3:54 pm

Re: help with turn signal/hazard lights

First thing comes to mind is connectors - clean and grease any and all, including the switches on the handlebar.

Jim Taylor
Minneapolis
07 Black LT "Dancing Heart", 03 Quantum "Ice"
02 Black LTC "Raven" (RIP 8/26/06)
08 Can-Am Spyder (hers) (#731)
post #3 of 16 Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 4:02 pm

My other thought would be a loose ground.

Tom Ress
Great White North
Minnesota
Canyon Red 2000

You have to grow up to have a mid-life crisis!!!!!

I could play with women or with cars, I find cars are cheaper and you can write a book about cars a guy would understand.

post #4 of 16 Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 4:50 pm Thread Starter
dpd

thanks.will check.
post #5 of 16 Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 8:40 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

There was another late model LT that reported the same thing, maybe this is that bike? Or it may be a bad batch of turn signal relays. They really are not relays but an electronic module. Sounds like BMW had a bad run of them.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 16 Old Aug 4th, 2009, 5:03 pm Thread Starter
dpd

nope. same bike. i took it to the dealer a few weeks back after it happened the first time but since all was working they couldn't do anything. taking it back again as they have promised to go through the entire electonic system until they find it.
i've seen a lot of your posts so i thought you may be the one to figure it out! i can't figure out why it's so intermittent.
thanks,
post #7 of 16 Old Aug 4th, 2009, 8:43 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Well you said the 64 thousand $ word "intermittent"!!! When you can get some thing to fail all the time it is usually an easy fix.

I would suspect a loose connection some where in the harness associated with the flasher. It may just be loose but it is under the fuel tank and a bit of work to get to. See if you can at least get them to open it up and check.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 16 Old Aug 5th, 2009, 11:37 am Thread Starter
dpd

thanks for your help. i agree it's probably some type of loose connection but usually with a loose connection the recovery time would be errattic. this problem; when it occurs always fixes itself overnight as if something needed to cool down. the only thing is when the bike is heated up it doesn't always happen. i'm leaving the bike at the dealer so they can go over it completely. they are really good guys so i know they'll do their best.

thanks again,
post #9 of 16 Old Oct 16th, 2011, 9:35 am

Can the handlebars switches be dismantled and cleaned? I think my right side indicator switch is full of dirt as I only get ocassional use of it, it seems to work only after riding in the rain!

1999 BMW K1200LT "Galatea"
1976 MERCEDES-BENZ 280S "Lady Genevieve"
1993 MERCEDES-BENZ S320 "Lady Audrey"
post #10 of 16 Old Oct 16th, 2011, 8:57 pm

If it is like my R1100RT, the design of this system is based on solid state logic that can be tripped by very high resistance "shorts" - the type you might get from a little residual rainwater etc on the switching contacts. Each of the handlebar switches grounds an input pin on the flasher module, and the module is supposed to do the rest. If, for example, the clear button contacts are a little wet, the module will think the button is being held down and will over rule any other switch depression inputs.

I'd swear my R1100RT depends on the local humidity, the rain history over the last few days, etc but it seems to clear itself after a dry period. If it does screw up though, it may be necessary to turn off not only the main switch, but also disconnect the battery so that the +12V (always hot) line and the processor can properly reset itself.

My only suggestion is to wash the switches and module connectors out with water, then rinse with distilled water, blow it dry with compressed air, and then spray WD-40 into the switches and connectors and blow that out too. Disconnect the battery & say three Hail Marys before re-initializing..............

You guys around salt water must have an awful time with this. I wonder why they designed this with such high impedance switch inputs?
post #11 of 16 Old Oct 17th, 2011, 6:37 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by niel_petersen

My only suggestion is to wash the switches and module connectors out with water, then rinse with distilled water, blow it dry with compressed air, and then spray WD-40 into the switches and connectors and blow that out too. Disconnect the battery & say three Hail Marys before re-initializing..............
I shall give it a try, I do have some distilled water, just need to buy some WD40.

post #12 of 16 Old Oct 17th, 2011, 7:03 am

I once rode a non-bmw through about 200 miles of steady, hard rain....eventually getting to my destination, a rally campground. During the run in the rain, electrical stuff started acting up. Stopping for gas the bike would now only start with clutch pulled in (side stand switch problem).....one side of the turn signals quit working........and two or three other things.

While pitching my tent and chatting with my neighboring rally goer....I related my electrical stuff. He gave me a cold beer and a can of WD-40...complete with the little red nozzle tube. "Spray this everywhere....in all the switches you can get to......cycle them each a few times....and wait." I did that....and hour later everything worked again.

Apparently it helped drive out trapped moisture. It was the first time I'd ridden this bike in the rain, so I'd never encountered the problem before.

Passing the story along FYI.

JD

Jeff Dunkle
Ocala, FL
2000 LT - Motorvation Formula II
1995 R100GS
2004 Burgman 650 (wife's)
post #13 of 16 Old Oct 19th, 2011, 7:40 am

After sprraying copious amounts of a WD40-like product into the handlebar switch gear follewed by plenty of slightly soapy water, I seem to have sloved the indicator switch issue. Well, at least for today!

What product should I use to keep the switches clean and dry inside? WD40 etc. contain oil which is not so good for the contacts despite repelling water.

post #14 of 16 Old Oct 19th, 2011, 8:15 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin280s
After sprraying copious amounts of a WD40-like product into the handlebar switch gear follewed by plenty of slightly soapy water, I seem to have sloved the indicator switch issue. Well, at least for today!

What product should I use to keep the switches clean and dry inside? WD40 etc. contain oil which is not so good for the contacts despite repelling water.
Martin - if you have an electronics store in Sao Paulo, check with them as to what they might have in the way of a spray product that cleans and lubes, as well as acts like a di-electric conditioner. Good luck.
post #15 of 16 Old Oct 19th, 2011, 8:18 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Martin - if you have an electronics store in Sao Paulo, check with them as to what they might have in the way of a spray product that cleans and lubes, as well as acts like a di-electric conditioner. Good luck.
Lucky we have a very large region in the city centre dedicated to electronics and electricals, best of all it's right beside the region with loads of motorcycle and motorcycling equipment shops

post #16 of 16 Old Oct 19th, 2011, 8:22 am

I don't think you need to worry about WaterDisplacement40 and contacts. That's one of it's recommended uses. Worked great on ignition systems when sprayed in the distributor cap (whatever that is).

Be careful of some electronic cleaners, they will turn plastic from a solid to a liquid.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in