LT can weave in a battle zone - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 2:25 pm Thread Starter

LT can weave in a battle zone

Well, I had a very interesting ride to work today. I was going down the highway doing about 70. I was about 2 sec behind a Ram pick up truck when all of the sudden I heard a big bag, saw smoke and the back of the pick up truck jump into the air. At that point plastic and other stuff started flying at me. Some of the objects are running down the road, others are flying at about head level.

What to do, what to do goes through my brain. The truck is pulling over to the right, I have a big object flying at me to the left. I stay in the lane and weave through the debris field. As I get through that I notice something about 3-4 feet long spinning end over end coming down at me from about 30 feet in the air. Speed up, slow down move to the right or move to the left, well I stay at my speed and move to the left lane and hope the car I had seen in that lane a few seconds ago is far enough behind me so I don't get run over or hit it in the side. I am to busy keeping on eye on the falling object to look. Got to go for it I guess or get hit by this object.

I move to the left lane and the object comes down 2-3 feet to the right and back of me. I guess I made the right decision. I felt like a ball player trying to avoid the ball. I don't see anymore stuff coming at me so I take a quick look at the truck and I can see the rear tail light hanging out by the wires and some more smoke coming from under the truck as he is pulling over. Not much chance to see anything else because by that time I am by the truck and now thinking how do I keep from filling my pants and keeping the bike up when I get off the highway in about a mile or should I pull over and see if the guy is OK, which he looks OK from what I can see when I go by. I decide to keep going and get off the highway. It is rush hour and lots of help behind me. (Coming into Rochester, MN the home of the Mayo clinic about every other car is a nurse or doctor) I then got off the road and found that my heart was racing and I was almost ready to park the bike and walk but I said to myself, I made it through ok and don't get so worked up. Go to work and treat it as another day of life.

So what did I learn?

-Stay far enough behind other cars,
-Keep your cool,
-know where everyone else is around you
-always have an exit strategy
-keep watching for stuff even though you think your through the debris field
-and the most important item is to squeeze your butt cheeks together to keep from filling your pants.

Tom Ress
Great White North
Minnesota
Canyon Red 2000

You have to grow up to have a mid-life crisis!!!!!

I could play with women or with cars, I find cars are cheaper and you can write a book about cars a guy would understand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 3:31 pm

Re: LT can weave in a battle zone

Glad you are ok. It is events like that which would worry me the most. I figure I can usually anticipate the other driver but unexpected things like that are hard to prepare for. Another one is deer running on to the highway. We have a lot of corn fields directly on the side of the road and visibility is poor and last minute.

Dave Van Zee
Mulberry IN

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'00 K1200LT (Current ride)
'96 Honda PC800 (past ride)
'84 Kawasaki 600 (past ride)
post #3 of 12 Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 3:52 pm

Hey, Tom - yup, that was an interesting ride. Glad that's all it was, could'a been much worse. Glad you're ok. My LTs have brought me thru when lesser bikes might not have. Nice ridin!!

Jim Taylor
Minneapolis
07 Black LT "Dancing Heart", 03 Quantum "Ice"
02 Black LTC "Raven" (RIP 8/26/06)
08 Can-Am Spyder (hers) (#731)

post #4 of 12 Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 3:56 pm

I have learned that its best when dealing with deer on the road is to steer towards them because most likely they will be running and you will miss. If a person attempts to dodge a dear, that person has a higher chance on heading where the deer will be. Plus its better to hit head on than to hit at a glancing blow. Granted I have never encountered this on by bike yet, but have with my truck and found it to work. Just my two cents.
post #5 of 12 Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 4:06 pm

Good to hear you're OK and made it through.

Did you ever figure out exactly what it was that was flying all over the place? I assume the truck in front of you hit something left in the road???

Live Slow... Fly Fast

Check out our
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
blog that chronicled our trip to Alaska and back.

<- The Boy
The Toys

2001 K1200LT-C that's been to the Alaskan Arctic Circle and back
2008 VRSCAWA H-D V-Rod with a few goodies
2005 VRSCA H-D V-Rod
1981 Mooney M20J

post #6 of 12 Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 4:20 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom1200
So what did I learn?

-Stay far enough behind other cars,
-Keep your cool,
-know where everyone else is around you
-always have an exit strategy
-keep watching for stuff even though you think your through the debris field
-and the most important item is to squeeze your butt cheeks together to keep from filling your pants.
Glad you're ok. Good driving an m/c riding is all about what you mentioned above Always always keep a distance between you and the guy in front, right, left and behind you. And know where cars are at all times, it should be sub-conscience.

Safe riding

02 LT
post #7 of 12 Old Aug 4th, 2009, 12:20 pm

Thanks for sharing.

I especially enjoyed the constructive criticism/After Action Review at the end.
post #8 of 12 Old Aug 4th, 2009, 1:34 pm

Tom
Glad your'e OK.
Glad I take Hwy 52 south. No battle zones by me. But still alot of crazy drivers.
"What you learned" is good advise.

Call if you want to go for a ride sometime

Jim G - Rochester, MN
BMW MOA #123976
2000 K1200LTC
post #9 of 12 Old Aug 4th, 2009, 2:37 pm

Smile Re: LT can weave in a battle zone

Glad you kept you're cool and negotiated the debris field upright. Tks for the debriefing. It's frustrating to leave some decent room between you and the next vehicle only to have it filled with a "squeeze in" car. As a friend on this forum noted about riding in NYC, if you leave one space for a car between you and the car in front of you, three taxis will fill it up!

Denny
post #10 of 12 Old Aug 5th, 2009, 12:57 pm

I can tell you from experience that is moment you will remember. Had the same thing happen to me. I was next to a 5 Ton truck that was moving fast and tailgating in heavy traffic. I could see traffic ahead of him in his lane slowing quickly, there was no way he was stopping even if he could see it. I begin moving away from him to avoid what was coming. Sure enough, he plowed into the Suburban in front of him sending large debris my way. A chain reaction started and for 5 or six cars I arrived at the point of contact in time to enjoy more flying pieces of headlights, taillights, and bits of bodywork. It was bad place to be, I was already close to the divider with a car on my tail and nowhere to go if anyone in that lane saw what was coming and swerved into my lane to avoid it.
post #11 of 12 Old Aug 5th, 2009, 4:37 pm Thread Starter

I am starting to wonder about my current luck. I was behind and next to a van that hit a car about a month ago and that scared the #$%#* out of me. Van hit the car so hard it popped the rear tires.

Then Monday the truck did its thing.

And to make things even better yesterday we had to evacuate our building because the construction grader hit a high pressure natural gas line about 200 yards from the building.

What is someone trying to say to me?

Tom Ress
Great White North
Minnesota
Canyon Red 2000

You have to grow up to have a mid-life crisis!!!!!

I could play with women or with cars, I find cars are cheaper and you can write a book about cars a guy would understand.
post #12 of 12 Old Aug 5th, 2009, 4:54 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom1200
I am starting to wonder about my current luck. I was behind and next to a van that hit a car about a month ago and that scared the #$%#* out of me. Van hit the car so hard it popped the rear tires.

Then Monday the truck did its thing.

And to make things even better yesterday we had to evacuate our building because the construction grader hit a high pressure natural gas line about 200 yards from the building.

What is someone trying to say to me?
Wow, that is a wake up call. I'd make peace with a higher power. As they say, 'There are no atheists in foxholes'.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in