Minor leakage - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 9:18 am Thread Starter

Minor leakage

As i havent washed the bike for some time, i spotted a small oil leakeage/sweating by the FD.

Apparently it comes from the rubber sealing that runs from the gearbox to the back wheel. Dont know the correct words here, so please bear over with me here. On the attatched image, its the rubber-'thing' that is easily seen. Underthe lines coming from number '2' and '3'.

Its only a minor sweat, and i know its not from a recent date. How soon do you folks thing this needs replacement. Is it URGENT or is it a thing I can take in the NEAREST future.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Leak.pdf (135.7 KB, 100 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 10:04 am

Re: Minor leakage

I have a similar issue, I get a small stain of oil at the bottom of the rubber boot. I pulled it back and found a couple of drops of oil...coming off the final drive seal. If you look inside the boot try to find if the oil is coming from the front or rear direction into the boot. Mine was from the rear seal, couple of drops every 3000 miles, nothing to worry about yet. Clean it up every so often and watch it closely.

Ron

2008 RT
2002 LT champagne
2003 Shadow
1986 Yamaha 500
1981 Honda Twinstar
post #3 of 9 Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 10:08 am
Banned

Unhappy Re: Minor leakage

Ron is probably correct. Sounds like the rear drive input shaft seal. Replaced mine last month. (27,000 miles)

post #4 of 9 Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 11:24 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

...Or the rear tranny output seal. Neither of which is a show stopper. Just monitor it.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 6:30 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILBERT40
Ron is probably correct. Sounds like the rear drive input shaft seal. Replaced mine last month. (27,000 miles)
Alright just had that sinking feeling we all know too well. Cruising the form and came across this. back ground...

I just did the complete service on my '00 LT. new fluids all around. took her for a short 500 mile spin through Yosemite and back just yesterday. While cleaning the rear rim after replacing the pads, I thought I'd loosen the retaining ring around the boot to clean around it. When I did, some of the Rear dif/transmition oil (same thing) gooped out. It did not spill, just oozed rather fast. put the boot back on and tightened the clamp... THIS IS evidence of a SEAL that needs to be replaced? enquiring minds want to know as I have driven the piss out of her over the last few days. Don't want to do any more damage, if in fact it is...

Hoss
'Stupidity has a knack of getting its way.' --Albert Camus
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
R.I.P. - '00- K1200LTE- "Barbara" - Retired at 168K 9/2011
MOA, IBA, EXR & RCB and TMI
post #6 of 9 Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 7:48 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Yes it is a seal that is leaking. There should be no fluid in the swingarm. The only way to tell which one is to pull the rear drive and see if it is coming down the swing arm from the tranny or pooling up from the rear drive pinion seal. As you said it was oozing so the leak is small and ultimately needs to be repaired but I wouldn't dead line the bike for that on either seal. Just plan for it during the next major service.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 9 Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 8:49 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
Yes it is a seal that is leaking. There should be no fluid in the swingarm. The only way to tell which one is to pull the rear drive and see if it is coming down the swing arm from the tranny or pooling up from the rear drive pinion seal. As you said it was oozing so the leak is small and ultimately needs to be repaired but I wouldn't dead line the bike for that on either seal. Just plan for it during the next major service.

Well thanks for that. Although, its my baby, I have to be concerned. I believe without tearing into anything, I may have a tranny seal out or going. Having replaced all the fluids, I rode the bike for a few days, then replaced the pads this past friday. This is when I discovered the leak inside the boot. I immediately thought rear drive, so I checked the level. It was just where I left it, right at the bottom thread. I will check the tranny level when I can (tonight), and that should be lower, I would assume. Now I get the fun task of researching (on this site) and disassembling her to get it done. Actually besides not being able to ride during these times (she has never left me stranded) I like hands on, its a great experience, if there is enough Jameson on hand.

Again thanks John. It amazes me the amount of generosity and support we give each other in our time of need!!!! And sorry Tom for high-jacking your post!

Hoss
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
post #8 of 9 Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 9:01 pm

At the risk of starting an oil debate I will just say that my trans will leak enough to drip on the converter if I use synthetic gear lube so switching to petro GL5 has almost completely stopped the leak, it just shifts a little stiffer during sub 30 deg F . It has been my observation that if it leaks it will leak more with synthetic oil .

Bob G
99KLT
post #9 of 9 Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 9:28 pm

Garage

hi-jacking again...
I can't recall what weight I used prior, but I got the kit from beemer boneyard. Used their GL5. As I am the fourth owner maybe they have run a heavier weight gear oil, 75W90 in it now. All this is worst case stuff as I can not look into the problem as of yet. (Work seems to get in the way, damn it!) I'll see how much is leaking before I cry uncle...

Hoss
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in