Ever since I got my new to me '99 LT I have been messing with it trying to get it squared away. It had less than 30k miles on it when I got it and it looks brand new but...
- The PO had the radio and comm systems removed (to include the wiring). I got most everything put back together and everything works great. I did not install the saddle bag CD changer as I installed a DICE unit to control my iPod instead. They do work on '99's...great invention.
- The bike needed a steering damper/stabilizer so I installed one.
- Installed a BMR Products Trivet and Adjustable Tilt Mount Bracket for my Garmin 2720.
- I took the too short (16") Cee Bailey's windshield off and replaced it with a ZTechnik VStream Windshield (great improvement). The bike also came with an Aeroflow but it was too tall and it wasn't the clearest screen I've ever seen. I don't like it.
- I took the Russell Day Long off as I can't stand the wings and put the OEM Heated Comfort Seat back on (too soft but I don't have to contend with the Russell's wings). I need to sell/trade what I have and get what I want.
- Installed the LTTruckLatch Fix It BEFORE It Breaks latch. Latch works great but the lock no longer does. Hmmm.
- Installed Don Muddiman's K1200LT Armrest. My wife loves me more now.
- The bike needed new shoes so I installed Bridgestone Battlax's front and rear. I found taking the front brakes off a PITA but made it happen. Changing the LT tires (rubber -wheel part) was considerably easier to do then changing my GS tires. I have not been overly joyed with the handling of the bike since I got it. It would hunt like crazy - it especially liked following tar snakes to their end. It was also really squirrelly when slowing to a stop and the bike wouldn't hold a line in a curve very well. It took more work then it should. I think I figured out why. The bike had 880's on it -- one was a radial and one was a bias ply. Neither tire was balanced either. Between the new "balanced" tires (both bias ply) and the steering damper the bike is a different machine. Jeez what a difference. I really look forward to riding it now!
- I did the canisterectomy. I had one problem that I finally got around to fixing. During my deep dive rerunning wires and installing new ones I inadvertently put too much of a bend in the tanks vent line when putting the tank back on the bike. All it took was a slight pull on the line where it runs by the tank mounting bolt and voila, fixed. So nice to not have to open the gas cap after every ride to vent the tank.
So that's my update. The bike isn't a smoker. Brake squeak eliminator treatment seems to take care of the terrible brake noises. I'm finally digging my new ride...