Quality Time With My LT Has Paid Off - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 10:43 pm Thread Starter

Quality Time With My LT Has Paid Off

Ever since I got my new to me '99 LT I have been messing with it trying to get it squared away. It had less than 30k miles on it when I got it and it looks brand new but...

- The PO had the radio and comm systems removed (to include the wiring). I got most everything put back together and everything works great. I did not install the saddle bag CD changer as I installed a DICE unit to control my iPod instead. They do work on '99's...great invention.
- The bike needed a steering damper/stabilizer so I installed one.
- Installed a BMR Products Trivet and Adjustable Tilt Mount Bracket for my Garmin 2720.
- I took the too short (16") Cee Bailey's windshield off and replaced it with a ZTechnik VStream Windshield (great improvement). The bike also came with an Aeroflow but it was too tall and it wasn't the clearest screen I've ever seen. I don't like it.
- I took the Russell Day Long off as I can't stand the wings and put the OEM Heated Comfort Seat back on (too soft but I don't have to contend with the Russell's wings). I need to sell/trade what I have and get what I want.
- Installed the LTTruckLatch Fix It BEFORE It Breaks latch. Latch works great but the lock no longer does. Hmmm.
- Installed Don Muddiman's K1200LT Armrest. My wife loves me more now.
- The bike needed new shoes so I installed Bridgestone Battlax's front and rear. I found taking the front brakes off a PITA but made it happen. Changing the LT tires (rubber -wheel part) was considerably easier to do then changing my GS tires. I have not been overly joyed with the handling of the bike since I got it. It would hunt like crazy - it especially liked following tar snakes to their end. It was also really squirrelly when slowing to a stop and the bike wouldn't hold a line in a curve very well. It took more work then it should. I think I figured out why. The bike had 880's on it -- one was a radial and one was a bias ply. Neither tire was balanced either. Between the new "balanced" tires (both bias ply) and the steering damper the bike is a different machine. Jeez what a difference. I really look forward to riding it now!
- I did the canisterectomy. I had one problem that I finally got around to fixing. During my deep dive rerunning wires and installing new ones I inadvertently put too much of a bend in the tanks vent line when putting the tank back on the bike. All it took was a slight pull on the line where it runs by the tank mounting bolt and voila, fixed. So nice to not have to open the gas cap after every ride to vent the tank.

So that's my update. The bike isn't a smoker. Brake squeak eliminator treatment seems to take care of the terrible brake noises. I'm finally digging my new ride...

'06 BMW R1200GS
'99 BMW K1200LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 9:14 am Thread Starter

Re: Quality Time With My LT Has Paid Off

Update -- I talked to Evan Guy. With his help the latch now locks. Turns out the fix was so easy a caveman could do it.

'06 BMW R1200GS
'99 BMW K1200LT
post #3 of 13 Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 9:20 am

Sweet..! Congrats!!

post #4 of 13 Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 9:57 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Roy,

Glad you got it all together. I was thinking about you when I headed out to White Sands Missile Range a few weeks ago but our testing got cut short and we had to return home. Sounds like you have a good handle on the machine now.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 11:29 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxonWheels
Ever since I got my new to me '99 LT I have been messing with it trying to get it squared away. It had less than 30k miles on it when I got it and it looks brand new but...

- The PO had the radio and comm systems removed (to include the wiring). I got most everything put back together and everything works great. I did not install the saddle bag CD changer as I installed a DICE unit to control my iPod instead. They do work on '99's...great invention.
- The bike needed a steering damper/stabilizer so I installed one.
- Installed a BMR Products Trivet and Adjustable Tilt Mount Bracket for my Garmin 2720.
- I took the too short (16") Cee Bailey's windshield off and replaced it with a ZTechnik VStream Windshield (great improvement). The bike also came with an Aeroflow but it was too tall and it wasn't the clearest screen I've ever seen. I don't like it.
- I took the Russell Day Long off as I can't stand the wings and put the OEM Heated Comfort Seat back on (too soft but I don't have to contend with the Russell's wings). I need to sell/trade what I have and get what I want.
- Installed the LTTruckLatch Fix It BEFORE It Breaks latch. Latch works great but the lock no longer does. Hmmm.
- Installed Don Muddiman's K1200LT Armrest. My wife loves me more now.
- The bike needed new shoes so I installed Bridgestone Battlax's front and rear. I found taking the front brakes off a PITA but made it happen. Changing the LT tires (rubber -wheel part) was considerably easier to do then changing my GS tires. I have not been overly joyed with the handling of the bike since I got it. It would hunt like crazy - it especially liked following tar snakes to their end. It was also really squirrelly when slowing to a stop and the bike wouldn't hold a line in a curve very well. It took more work then it should. I think I figured out why. The bike had 880's on it -- one was a radial and one was a bias ply. Neither tire was balanced either. Between the new "balanced" tires (both bias ply) and the steering damper the bike is a different machine. Jeez what a difference. I really look forward to riding it now!
- I did the canisterectomy. I had one problem that I finally got around to fixing. During my deep dive rerunning wires and installing new ones I inadvertently put too much of a bend in the tanks vent line when putting the tank back on the bike. All it took was a slight pull on the line where it runs by the tank mounting bolt and voila, fixed. So nice to not have to open the gas cap after every ride to vent the tank.

So that's my update. The bike isn't a smoker. Brake squeak eliminator treatment seems to take care of the terrible brake noises. I'm finally digging my new ride...
So.. was your Russel old and worn ?? made for how big of a person.. I am planning to get mine done.. but if yours is close.. I might condsider ...

Bill
KLR650
Looking for the next machine :<)
Lafayette, Indiana
post #6 of 13 Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 11:37 am

Congrat One other thing you may want to do is to disconnect the air box temp sensor if you have not done that yet. The earlier LT models like yours and mine have a throttle hesitation under 2000rpm when weather is hot. One way to fix this is to upgrade the Motronic but that is a costly solution. Another way is just to disconnect the air temp sensor connector that is on the air box and located behind the radiator cap. The air box sensor is used by the Motronic to calculate the timing in accordance with the air temperature. Disconnecting the air box temp sensor will make a HUGE difference. It just make the bike much more enjoyable. I put a switch on my 99LT to be able to switch the air sensor on and off for summer vs winter riding.

Alain

Vieux motard que jamais
post #7 of 13 Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 11:59 am Thread Starter

It may have been done already or my bike doesn't have the problem. So far running around in temps up to 110 (Arizona) hasn't been an issue at all, at speed or around town. But now that I know about it I'm sure to be inflicted so I'll tuck this away...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpac
Congrat One other thing you may want to do is to disconnect the air box temp sensor if you have not done that yet. The earlier LT models like yours and mine have a throttle hesitation under 2000rpm when weather is hot. One way to fix this is to upgrade the Motronic but that is a costly solution. Another way is just to disconnect the air temp sensor connector that is on the air box and located behind the radiator cap. The air box sensor is used by the Motronic to calculate the timing in accordance with the air temperature. Disconnecting the air box temp sensor will make a HUGE difference. It just make the bike much more enjoyable. I put a switch on my 99LT to be able to switch the air sensor on and off for summer vs winter riding.

'06 BMW R1200GS
'99 BMW K1200LT
post #8 of 13 Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 12:02 pm Thread Starter

Not old and worn, I just don't like the wings. I'm 170 lbs and the PO was probably around 200 lbs. He loved it. I like the seat too and wish the OEM seat was built the same (same firmness and feel...just minus the wings).

Quote:
Originally Posted by billd
So.. was your Russel old and worn ?? made for how big of a person.. I am planning to get mine done.. but if yours is close.. I might condsider ...

'06 BMW R1200GS
'99 BMW K1200LT
post #9 of 13 Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 12:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxonWheels
Not old and worn, I just don't like the wings. I'm 170 lbs and the PO was probably around 200 lbs. He loved it. I like the seat too and wish the OEM seat was built the same (same firmness and feel...just minus the wings).
Well I understand that.. I seem to be bigger and the wings are what I want as well as the HD suspension option .. Perhaps you can contact the Russel guys and have them rebuild it for you.. I hear they might give a deal on rebuild of their seat.. and then you could get the wings removed :<)

Bill
KLR650
Looking for the next machine :<)
Lafayette, Indiana
post #10 of 13 Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 2:07 pm
KJN

Had my OEM saddle re worked at a small mom & pop shop in mesa. They only use a special firm foam. Very pleased.

Guy's upholstery. Mesa AZ. (480) 610-9804

Kimble
Phoenix
post #11 of 13 Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 6:18 pm Thread Starter

Thanks Kimble. Pretty close to me (3 hours anyway). How long did it take them to do it? -Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJN
Had my OEM saddle re worked at a small mom & pop shop in mesa. They only use a special firm foam. Very pleased.

Guy's upholstery. Mesa AZ. (480) 610-9804

Kimble
Phoenix

'06 BMW R1200GS
'99 BMW K1200LT
post #12 of 13 Old Aug 4th, 2009, 6:02 pm
KJN

A few days. I wasn't in a hurry. Gut knows bikes and will work with you to make sure it's right.

Kimble
post #13 of 13 Old Aug 6th, 2009, 4:42 pm Thread Starter

Many thanks Kimble. -Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJN
A few days. I wasn't in a hurry. Gut knows bikes and will work with you to make sure it's right.

Kimble

'06 BMW R1200GS
'99 BMW K1200LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in