Pickup Truck loaders - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 5:10 pm Thread Starter

Pickup Truck loaders

I am looking for any member who has experience with pickup truck motorcycle loaders.
I have (of course) a 2003 BWM K1200LT, a 4WD 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 diesel short bed, and a 32ft travel trailer. For the LT to be in the truck bed the pickup gate will have to removed. It will not fit otherwise, as far as I can see. I cannot leave the gate down as this would make it impossible to make turns with the trailer behind the truck. I have researched this for hours on the web and the TK Loader seems to be the closest to what I want/need at about $3000.

I wonder if anyone has a similar situation and what the recommended solution is. Going on extended camping trips with out my LT is something I desperately need to change. At this point buying a new RV (the ones with garages in the back) or a motor-home with a trailer behind it, are out of the question. And I love my bike (and my life) too much to use one of the ride-on ramps.

Any advice, suggestions, but especially experience are very much appreciated.

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 5:26 pm

Re: Pickup Truck loaders

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmeerts
I am looking for any member who has experience with pickup truck motorcycle loaders.
I have (of course) a 2003 BWM K1200LT, a 4WD 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 diesel short bed, and a 32ft travel trailer. For the LT to be in the truck bed the pickup gate will have to removed. It will not fit otherwise, as far as I can see. I cannot leave the gate down as this would make it impossible to make turns with the trailer behind the truck. I have researched this for hours on the web and the TK Loader seems to be the closest to what I want/need at about $3000.

I wonder if anyone has a similar situation and what the recommended solution is. Going on extended camping trips with out my LT is something I desperately need to change. At this point buying a new RV (the ones with garages in the back) or a motor-home with a trailer behind it, are out of the question. And I love my bike (and my life) too much to use one of the ride-on ramps.

Any advice, suggestions, but especially experience are very much appreciated.

John
Hi, John. Just in case you missed this X-Tra-Lift, it might work?? The literature I have is out of date, so I'm not sure what sizes they manufacture, and I'm not sure if they have a Dodge version - they do have a GMC or Ford version.

HTH.
post #3 of 12 Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 6:40 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

LOOK HERE

Stevie Shreeve

post #4 of 12 Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 6:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn
That looks like the one Barrett had in Breckenridge? If so, you might wanna ping icepick578 and get some feedback on it's use. Pretty nifty.
post #5 of 12 Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 7:43 pm

ebay link of a triple d- I want it but its in AZ.

Don't be afraid to say what you feel, as those that matter DOnt mind and those that mind Dont matter.
Dr.Suess-
-

1980 YAMAHA XJ650 MAXIM (RIP)
1982 YAMAHA 750 VIRAGO (SHES GONE)
1982 SUZUKI GS1000 (GONE)
2001 BMW K1200LT
2004 BMW R 1150 RT Sold.....
2007 BMW R 1200 GS
1986 BMW K100RT WITH A FLEXIT SIDECAR
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1985 BMW K100 RT ( parts bike, but its too nice to do that, so it runs)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 12 Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 8:56 pm

Why not just mount a wide 1,000 lb. Eagle or Tommy Lift on the back of the trailer?

I've used this exact same lift mounted on my dually flatbed to lift my LT several times, but I do have a 1500 lb. lift. I can load and unload it by myself. If I was going to use it often a small wood ramp positioned on the side would make it simple to load and unload straight on by temporarily unhooking one of the lift chains.

A wild ass guess would be $1.5K on the price - and they have optional platform extenders that fold over to give you an even wider base, but you won't need it.

You would no doubt need some stout angle welded to the trailer frame, a couple of extra leafs in the springs, and some offsetting ballast (an extra 100 gallon fresh water tank would be easy to mount) on the tongue. You may need to up the weight loading on the trailer tires for some extra insurance as well. The axle(s) can probably handle it with no problem.

The cable type (versus a rail type) that swings out and away would be ideal, giving you the ability to walk around the bike on the ground and facilitate easy tie down. A Condor chock and a few heavy duty ratchet straps would make it very stable and secure.

Just trying to think outside the box (pun intended) using what you already have.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tommy flatbed.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	23942  

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Aug 2nd, 2009 at 9:16 pm.
post #7 of 12 Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 9:38 am

Back in 97 I traveled the western US. quite heavily. Dodge 1 ton dually,30 ft. tongue pull RV trailer. I was lost without my bike so I built a rack that mounted to my Dodge so I could load my bike by myself, strap it down and then hook my trailer to my hitch. I traveled like this for 8 years with no problems what so ever. It made it real to unload my bike and ride when ever where ever. Very simple fix and relatively cheap to build.
post #8 of 12 Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 10:01 pm

I have sorta the same setup as you describe, except that I have the 8 ft bed in my GMC. I ended up buying a used Rampage lift from a Goldwing rider who sold his ride. He used it in a Chevy Avalanche. I love the lift. We went to Bristol this past Mar for the spring NASCAR race and took the bike. Everything worked great. I recommend the Rampage lift if you can find one. Check the Goldwing sites and RV sites...I think I ended up doing a Google search to find it. Below are some pics of the setup. BOL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0315091656.jpg
Views:	1320
Size:	303.5 KB
ID:	23963   Click image for larger version

Name:	0316091335.jpg
Views:	924
Size:	268.0 KB
ID:	23964   Click image for larger version

Name:	0323091633.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	291.9 KB
ID:	23965  

2006 Magnesium Black Metallic K1200LT
Proud Member of the Patriot Guard Riders
Ken

post #9 of 12 Old Aug 10th, 2009, 4:01 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasnRacin
I have sorta the same setup as you describe, except that I have the 8 ft bed in my GMC. I ended up buying a used Rampage lift from a Goldwing rider who sold his ride. He used it in a Chevy Avalanche. I love the lift. We went to Bristol this past Mar for the spring NASCAR race and took the bike. Everything worked great. I recommend the Rampage lift if you can find one. Check the Goldwing sites and RV sites...I think I ended up doing a Google search to find it. Below are some pics of the setup. BOL

Yes, that's the setup I am looking for. Now if only I had the long bed.

John
post #10 of 12 Old Aug 10th, 2009, 6:41 pm

I have several ideas how to make the rampage/toy trax work in a short bed, but, admittedly am not sure of your circumstances. Tailgate down when in use/ 3/4in plywood for support on tailgate, if your turning will not be effected. I am in pgh area and have an A1 condition unit for sale for $1800.00 and i would help you install in your truck. You must decide on viability of such a unit. I have used it for 2 trips to daytona and back and it is near perfect and comes with everything factory supplied. It is a wonder to see it work!!! you can pm any questions or ask advise if you desire
post #11 of 12 Old Aug 10th, 2009, 8:40 pm

You might contact Rampage and see if you can possibly mount the lift and use without your tailgate installed. It will hang over some, but might give you enough clearance to turn with your TT hooked up. I also use a long hitch neck for my equalizer hitch which gives a few extra inches too. Just some thoughts.
BOL
Ken

2006 Magnesium Black Metallic K1200LT
Proud Member of the Patriot Guard Riders
Ken

post #12 of 12 Old Aug 10th, 2009, 9:11 pm

I have no doubt that the unit is strong enough to let it hang over, however, how do you get your mindset comfortable seeing a $20k plus unit hanging over the tailgate area with very little apparently supporting it. In reality, this look would ease your turning ability as the entire load is closer to the center of the bed and allow considerably more room to turn. I would think that a properly placed partial sheet of 3/4 in plywood would ease your mind and still allow the extra turning room with the tailgate off. I love the way these loaders work and the ease of loading takes any work out of the picture.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in