Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Barrington, NH, USA
No, I will not be asking how to do it or how much it costs. (it cost me about $130). I just want to tell all how it went.
My 14 year old daughter and I started it about 10:30 friday morning. First was taking off all the tupperware. We did this pretty quick. Then take off the gas tank and replace the air filter, the old one wasn't too bad, but put in the new one anyway. A note to all, make sure to look inside the air box real good, I found a few peices of asphalt in there (lots of road work going on in these parts).
Next was the fuel filter. fairly easy job, take out the old one, put in the new one, make sure everthing is cleaned up. put back together. I just used a big screw driver and the heel of my hand to both loosen and tighten the ring. If the ring and tank aren't marked, make sure to do so prior to taking apart. Mine was already marked before I bought the bike.
Before putting the tank back on, checked to make sure everything looked good underneath, cleaned things up a bit too. Put tank back on.
Then we did a valve check. Most were right in the middle of spec. Forward valve on number 1 intake was a tight .006. I left it in, will need to check closely on the 36K. Cleaned up the gasket and cover real good, put on a few dabs of RTV, then put the cover back on and torqued to spec. Next we changed the spark plugs. Old ones looked good, brown on the end, with a little soot on the metal end. Torqued the new ones to spec.
Next we changed the tranny fluid. I hadn't changed this since the 12K. I must have really cranked the plug last time because it sure was tough getting it break loose. I made sure not to crank it quite so tight this time. ( I don't normally torque drain plugs). The fluid looked like I had just put it in. It was my daughters job to hold the pastic catch I made out of an old quart jug to catch the fluid. She miscalculated a bit. Let's just say the center stand won't be rusting for a while.
The final drive fluid, which I changed at 18K, was much darker. Quite a bit of fuzz on the plug, but no chunks. I used Mobile one for the tranny and FD.
Then we changed the engine oil and filter, used mobile one for this as well.
Time to start it up to check for leaks before putting all the tupperware on. Hit the button, it ran for a few seconds then died. Hit the button again, ran for a seconds and died. Couldn't get it to run for more than two or three seconds. A quick check of things found that I hadn't pushed one of the quick disconnects all the way together, snapped it in, hit the button, and she purred. Checked for leaks, all good, We put all the tupperware back on and went inside. We finished up around 4:00. This is with taking a bit of a break for lunch. I didn't do anything with shift linkage as I had just done this a couple months ago.
This was only the second one of these I have done on my bike. It really isn't all that difficult to do, just a little time consuming. My daughter and I got to spend the day together, and had a pretty good time. For me anyway, it is much better than giving the dealership $800.
Saturday My daughter, wife and I spent the afternoon on the bikes. My wife has her own bike, and my daughter rides on the back of mine. The bike actually seemed to run smoother.
2006 K1200LT "SNOB"
"I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders" - Ted Nugent
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Last edited by living_free; Aug 2nd, 2009 at 6:08 pm.