I had the exact same question back in 2003!
Here's what I
1. I decided from the beginning to use all ISO and military specification components made in the USA instead of cheap foam from China and thin vinyl from Brazil that falls apart in two or three years.
2. I changed the cover to a hydrophobic breathable polyester mesh that cannot wet
and allows copious amounts of fresh air to flow directly to your very thin butt skin.
3. I eliminated all
stitching and ribs that causes cover failure and pressure points.
4. I found a vapor deposited aluminum barrier fabric made by DuPont that prevents the foam cores from getting hot while sitting in the sun. This same barrier eliminated heat transfer from the rider to the seat, reducing hot spots.
5. I eliminated the need for an expensive extra rain cover since this same barrier fabric is glued on in one piece and waterproofs the foam.
6. I found special 3M foams used by NASA in the space shuttle, by the Army in Apache helicopter seats and also by the Air Force in F-16 headrests. I also found a vibration absorbing foam made from tiny spheres that distributes shock in all directions instead of just vertically.
7. I learned which specific densities and thickness of these foams works best for different weight riders, then combined them into a composite laminate permanently glued together with 3M Super 90 glue so that it will NEVER
8. I then guaranteed the labor and materials for life for the original owner, including UV exposure
- which no one else did.
10. I learned to do all this while not making your seat look like it came from the TV series "Green Acres". (For all of you too young to know, Oliver rode a tractor)
11. I decided that I needed to personally answer all E-mail inquires within 24 hours.
I've always wondered what the other guys have been doing new
since the 1970's.
I really should have
patented this design and started a business where you can get all of this professionally fabricated in two days - instead of waiting two months - for an extremely competitive price. Come to think of it - I DID!
How's that for detail ?