What Would You Do? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Aug 1st, 2009, 9:03 pm Thread Starter

Question What Would You Do?

I was going about 50mph into a right turn sweeper on CA highway 49 when I hit a stone about the size of a golf ball with the front tire. Begin Pucker Factor! Front wheel comes off the ground and handle bars turn left then right as stone is propelled away from the tire and goes towards the right side of the road. With front wheel now on the ground bike stands up straight and starts to head toward center dividing line with a Ford F150 heading towards me. I immediately roll of the throttle but handle bars go left then right then left then right. I can feel the steering damper kicking in to try and stabilize the front end. I知 tempted to hit the brakes but decided not to since I had limited steering control. I leaned my body hard to the right, trying to get the bike leaned back over to get it turning again and kept my arms very relaxed on the handle bars. As I was about to cross the center dividing line bike finally leans right, handle bars stabilize, and I get through the turn. Pucker Factor Over! So what should I have done differently (besides the obvious by not hitting the stone in the road). I知 sure some of you off road riders encounter this situation so what do you do?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Aug 1st, 2009, 9:23 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: What Would You Do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovero
I was going about 50mph into a right turn sweeper on CA highway 49 when I hit a stone about the size of a golf ball with the front tire. Begin Pucker Factor! Front wheel comes off the ground and handle bars turn left then right as stone is propelled away from the tire and goes towards the right side of the road. With front wheel now on the ground bike stands up straight and starts to head toward center dividing line with a Ford F150 heading towards me. I immediately roll of the throttle but handle bars go left then right then left then right. I can feel the steering damper kicking in to try and stabilize the front end. I知 tempted to hit the brakes but decided not to since I had limited steering control. I leaned my body hard to the right, trying to get the bike leaned back over to get it turning again and kept my arms very relaxed on the handle bars. As I was about to cross the center dividing line bike finally leans right, handle bars stabilize, and I get through the turn. Pucker Factor Over! So what should I have done differently (besides the obvious by not hitting the stone in the road). I知 sure some of you off road riders encounter this situation so what do you do?

Thanks
Sounds like what you did worked just fine. The only thing I would suggest would have been to counter steer aggressively as leaning your body has very little affect on the rate of turn and will at best very slowly decrease your turn radius.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old Aug 1st, 2009, 9:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovero

Thanks
The bike stood up because you rolled off the throttle, probably sub conscientiously when the front end came up.

You did the right thing by not using the brakes; with the lean angle and tank slapping, you would have encountered either a high side or low side fall. Low side is best but with the F150, either would have resulted in the truck hitting/running over you.

Turn your head throughout the turn, looking ahead and observing the road condition and obstacles; don't spot (read: target fixate) the obstacles but rather look ahead to the clear path and press the grip to go there.

Glad you had a good learning experience without getting hurt!

Avatar credit: Curtis Callaway, 2009
Rider of Stahlross
1999 Basalt Grey LT
2001 Classic Red Ducati 748

post #4 of 7 Old Aug 1st, 2009, 10:53 pm

I've had that happen without the F150, although I doubt I would have recognized it for a F150 anyway. I would have been thinking "TRUCK!." Good job staying out of trouble. As the others have said, leaning your body didn't really do the trick. I'd guess you did countersteer, or press the right grip, to initiate the lean. You probably did this without thinking, but visualizing this press to lean will probably help future corners. Again, good job staying off the brakes and getting through without incident.

Dale White

"The shortest distance between two points is often unbearable."
Charles Bukowski
post #5 of 7 Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 12:59 am

Excellent job my friend. Experience surely paid off. Even though you said not to, I would have just tried to miss the rock.

"You can tell more about a person by what he says about others than you can by what others say about him."
Leo Aikman

Remember folks, street lights timed for 35 mph are also timed for 70 mph. ~Jim Samuels

Current Love
2001 K1200LT Champagne (Roxy)

Previous loves...
2000 K1200LT Canyon Red (Suzie Q)
1986 Honda Interceptor Black (Weezy)
1999 K1200LT Graphite (Grey Goose)
post #6 of 7 Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 8:05 am

If you haven't taken the ERC in a while, you might also consider taking it in the near future. But (and that's a BIG but), there is no exercise in the ERC that has riders clip a stone while in a curve. Braking in a Curve and Avoiding Obstacles (swerve) are the closest things to your experience. I had an almost-similar experience on Scenic 7 north of Hot Springs. Too fast for the curve and I encroached on the other lane (thankfully, no traffic). As I critiqued my self after unpuckering, I realized, due to the tension of going wide in the curve, I had tensed-up both arms; essentially both pushing. After practice, practice, and more practice, I'm now pushing only with the inside arm and relaxing the outside arm.

Also, David Hough has a couple of good books titled, "Proficient Riding" and "More Proficient Riding." He describes in a little detail the physics of turning. Another good book is written by Lee Parks titled "Total Control", I believe. An excellent read for those that are thinking of leaning towards the track but, nevertheless, a good read for those that push the enevlope on the LT. It's not a superbike, but it is a super bike!

Take care,
Curt

Avatar credit: Curtis Callaway, 2009
Rider of Stahlross
1999 Basalt Grey LT
2001 Classic Red Ducati 748
post #7 of 7 Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 12:03 pm

Wow!! Good lesson to be learned here! Glad you come out of it OK. I have not had that experience as I tend to slow down when approaching a tight or seemingly tight turn. I know I can lean the bike a lot more that I usually do but around here so many drivers take the short route and cross over the lines into the oncoming lanes around turns. When they see a vehicle coming the opposite way they quickly get into their own lane. When this happens I lean on the horn. Don"t they know that those lines are on the road for a reason. After your experience, I might be wearing my brown pants for a few days......Ha Ha.
Cheers,
Jim.

1953 Ariel 350
1970 Norton Commando
1975 Honda Excel 250
1977 Kawasaki Z1000 LT
1985 Honda V65 Magna
1989 Yamaha Venture Royalle
2006 BMW K1200 LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in